ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Power cap

am wondering whether getting a power cap will benifit the new system im going to install.

going to get clio diesal battery as much bigger, but thinking about a power cap too.

going to have alpine mrv-t303 (2x120 watt) running alpine type r components and an alpine mrd-m300 to run a 102 type r sub.

would a cap be benificial on this system or should the bigger battery be sufficient?

if a cap would be a gd idea any suggestions on gd ones to get/ ones to avoid?

cheers

Pete

What about an uprated/bigger alternator. Theres no point in having a bigger battery & the cap if you cant charge them quick enough

If you can afford to lose a bit of boot space then you will be far better going for a split charge system to have a second battery in the back. Your system plan wont be particularly taxing on the electrical system.

A cap will work to a point and will improve certain systems. You may see some kind of improvement in punchy bass response but for roughly the same price you could get the splitcharger fitted.

Also you wont necessarily need to uprate the alternator. We have over 3500 watts of bass power plus another couple of amps for the highs. We used 3 batteries, no power caps and kept the standard 1.4 alternator which i believe puts out a measily 60 amps.

Russ

i c, so how would i go about putting in a split charge system?

what would i need and how much would it cost?

cheers

Pete

A splitcharge system isnt that difficult. Its basically just a case of joining 2 batteries togther with a relay in between. If you arent sure how to do it then it might be worth getting a professional to do it. However you can now buy splitcharge kits from Autoleads which gives you a relay, all the cables and a diagram of how to put it together.

Russ

so all would need is a split charge kit from autoleads and another battery.

would it still be an idea to get a diesel battery instead of my one at mo?

how much would this kit from aoutoleads cost?

cheers

Pete

I would still upgrade the front battery to the biggest one you can fit in the tray and run one amp off that. Then use the battery in the boot for the bass amp or whichever will draw the most current. All you basically need is the kit and the second battery yes.

The Autoleads kits come out at about £45 i think. To get one professionally fitted is only about £80 of which most is labour charge. The parts only cost a couple of quid.

Russ

right then, cheers. will have to look into everything, going to get a valver in few months hopefully so not going to b doing anything till then anyway!

Pete