ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Possibly need a new engine?

Clio sport 182 BG FF
Hey,

After only owning the clio 10 mins there came a rattle to the top end after abit of research I believed it was the dephaser so i replaced dephaser and cambelt Etc after putting it all back together the same loud rattle that gets louder with the higher the rpm goes it does it from cold and hot, maybe a stuck lifter? I have noticed little scoring on the cam below the oil filter cap :s

Got a video if anyone could give me any ideas,

Don't no if to replace the engine with same ish mileage or rebuild the damage

Any help be really appreciated:)

Clio sport 182 BG FF
Yes all timing tools where genuine renault tools, a friend of mine timed it up, he's done plenty of these engines with no come backs

I have a video on my phone but don't no how to upload it?

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Yes all timing tools where genuine renault tools, a friend of mine timed it up, he's done plenty of these engines with no come backs

I have a video on my phone but don't no how to upload it?
Upload it to YouTube or similar then copy and paste the link mate.

Clio sport 182 BG FF
Finally got a link sorted video quality is not that great but you can hear the sound that the engine is make

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I'm no mechanic . But I had a similar sound and it was my water pump. You can hear a screeching sound 25 seconds in . Mine was making that noise but more frequently.

Last edited:
  dan's cast offs.
sounds like valve/piston contact? not hollow enough to be waterpump. double check cam timing etc...

or drop the aux belt and run it without for bit and see if the noise goes. sounds like a couple of different noises though??

Clio sport 182 BG FF
Thanks guys for all getting back to me,

Water pump was replaced
So was the aux belt, I'll have to get my mate back with the tools to get the aux belt off because it's the cambelt off again, I can also double check the timing bottom pulley etc, I thought it could of been a lifter but I am completely useless with cars, fed up abit now with it been carless 4 months :(

Cars = empty wallets and stress

Clio sport 182 BG FF
From owning the car 5 mins things have gone sour :/ spent probs enough to buy one all working but I have gone his far so may as well finish it,

Need someone to have a gander at it but skint atm insurance is due at end of the month and like always...its a pricey one

Clio sport 182 BG FF
Do you reakon it's slipped out of time? We rotated the engine over and checked it and it still all locked up okay

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
You're meant to rotate it a few times aren't you? Don't know the procedure massively though! Just watched mine be done.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Worse case scenario (which it probably wont come to) you can just drop another engine in.

Benefit of living in Hull is you can just leave your bonnet open before bed and the engine will be gone in the morning :)

clio 172
Sounds like my old engine used to after It had piper cams fitted.
Cars been broke up by somebody . Do you know if its the original

Clio sport 182 BG FF
I'll get aux belt off and see what happens, but I wouldn't of thought the aux belt would create a rattle that sounds like it comes from exhaust cam? But I am open to all ideas.

Louis you hit the nail on the head there bonnet wouldn't need to be open over night just a few hours hahaha not that bad where I am tho :) "touch wood" i was going to put a new engine in but dont really want to but getting fed up now been car less for over 5 months now :(

Clio sport 182 BG FF
And I what do you mean original? Engine wise? Wouldn't have a clue mate, all I no that it's got service history, but it's been mess about with normal signs rough work been done also loads of broken bits no bolts etc but it does have a paddle clutch which I think was put in for track so engine could be Modded?

Clio sport 182 BG FF
Does anyone know someone local Hull maybe I could take car too? Don't want to drive it really but needs must to get it sorted sounds nasty gets louder and quicker with revs

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Does anyone know someone local Hull maybe I could take car too? Don't want to drive it really but needs must to get it sorted sounds nasty gets louder and quicker with revs
Got AA cover? Push it down the road and get them to tow you to Diamond Motors in Nottingham ;)