ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Poss upper gearbox mount broke... ermm Help!

Phase 2 172
Just driving home and the car started to make some awful noises and vibrating. Cant really see a lot in the dark with a torch but as I have had all the engine mounts done recently and I can only guess its the upper gearbox mount (As I can just see the Lower and looks ok)

Is it ok to drive to work tomorrow or will I do more damage? Sounds awful!

172 Cup
Hi,

Are the vibrations rattling / knocking - especially when you accelerate ?

So did you get your drivers side upper mount, lower gearbox mount, and dog bone mounts replaced without the upper gearbox one? What makes you think it's that one? It would be quite easy to tell if it's gone, could you spare 5mins in the morning to lift up the battery and see what state it's in? Also you can put your fingers underneath the battery holder thing and feel to make sure that at least everything is still connected.

Sounds a bit strange..?

Phase 2 172
yeah stupidly I had the others done and not that one as money was tight, but I work for a prestige car garage so can kick a Ferrari off a ramp and get a techy to have a look.
just wanted to see if its worth risking driving the 10 mins work or end up doing more damage.

172 Cup
if you know someone at work who is handy with the tools then I'd say it's worthwhile taking it down. - in any case you'd have to probably drive it to a garage to get it fixed anyways!

As long as it doesn't sound like an engine noise i'd say you're okay, just take a peek under the bonnet tomorrow morning and make sure your engine isn't actually falling over! - but if you upper mount, lower gearbox, and new dog bone are still ok, then I really don't think the upper gearbox should be causing you as much pain as you seem to be experiencing.. btw, the upper gearbox mount is dead easy to change yourself. Just get it for £15 off eBay, support the gearbox with a jack, take the battery off, 3 bolts and you're done. - just make sure you hold the two smaller bolts in place when your loosen them so they don't fall through and loose them forever. - but you do need a deep socket set.

A better description of the noises would be useful !

Phase 2 172
Well after having a look, it was the gearbox mount and also the stud had snapped! So its on the ramp awaiting parts..