ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Portable Hard Drive advice please!

So I have a old desktop PC and a newish laptop. The desktop is running XP and the laptop has Vista Business on it. Dont really want to change either of the Operating Systems if I can help it!

Now, if I get a portable hard drive, should I get a 2.5 inch one or a 3.5 inch one? Whats the difference? And will it be possible to move files between the two computers easily?

I really want the portable drive to back up the drives on the two computers, is this possible with them having different OS?

Sorry for the silly question but Im a duffer on this sort of thing, and searching the net has not helped!!

Cheers.

Perfectly possible.

As you have a laptop just get a 2.5" passport drive. You can get a 1TB for abour £130. It's usb powered. Just plug it in to whichever computer needs the files.

Simples.

1.2 Dynamique billabong
ive got a seagate one (although its only a 120gb one) but ive had it for about 3 years and ive never had any problems with it

clio
i went for a NAS network storage thingummy... Hard drive in a box plugged into the wireless router... the laptops and desktop machine all use it as a network drive and can read files from and to it over the wifi... Saves swapping a usb drive between machines, and can just be tucked away and forgotten about...

Something like This

Golf GTi Mk2
i went for a NAS network storage thingummy... Hard drive in a box plugged into the wireless router... the laptops and desktop machine all use it as a network drive and can read files from and to it over the wifi... Saves swapping a usb drive between machines, and can just be tucked away and forgotten about...

Something like This

With these network drives, can i access files remotely? Say if i was at my folks place across town, could i access the data on NAS drive at home?

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
i just got one of the new wd se ones. 1tb, usb powered, which the above are not. it's awesome.

2001 Clio 172
Like everyone has already said, go for a 2.5" usb (bus) powered external. I have a 500gb Western Digital My Passport and i love it. Never had a problem and is so portable!