ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Poor when cold

Arctic Blue 182ff
Hi guys. The 182 has 2 'issues', which may or may not be related.

The first, is cold running. When starting from cold it's a little rough, sometimes stalls straight away, and driving down the road part throttle it can be a little shaky and unsure. Totally fine after a few mins driving.

The other is it's performance. I obviously let it warm up properly, it doesn't get driven hard when cold, ever. However, after say 15 mins of driving (10 mins after water temp is up to temp), the car goes fine... but it then continues to get noticeably quicker, and quicker, for the next 15 mins or so. Only then is it running as quick as it can, but the CAT smells a bit like burning. Any ideas?

Saw this on the rollers a while back. Chap did 7 runs and it added 1-2hp each time, he said it wasn't hot enough. How damn hot do these cars need to be????

So i'm a little lost really. I've got a decat coming, which may or may not help - any other ideas welcome :)

Arctic Blue 182ff
Ok, so what's the theory? Why would a dodgy coolant temp sensor cause my issue? The ECU presumably thinks the water is cooler than it actually is, what does this cause it to do? Genuine questions as I don't want to waste my money until I'm convinced it's atleast plausible :)

Arctic Blue 182ff
you mean the air/fuel mix? Would this cause my problem number 1 or number 2? My rev limit is untouched though.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
Probably a combination of the sensor and the throttlebody being dirty then. Clean your throttlebody first.

Arctic Blue 182ff
A dirty throttlebody? New one on me. Do you mean dirty MAF sensor?

I think i'll take some bits apart and see what I can find :)

Arctic Blue 182ff
Right, can someone please confirm to me that the coolant temperature sensor is NOT the thermostat?

I'm led to believe they are 2 different things, however looking at Renault's crappy pics in the workshop manual it would suggest the location of the coolant temperature sensor is where I find the thermostat. Or I'm just missing it.

I can't make head nor tail of this pic... someone please help :) the bit labelled 244 is the coolant temp sensor, worlds most odd pic, what angle is it looking at the engine from???

coolant temp sensor.jpg

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Yeah the CTS is on the thermastat housing. Try replacing that as its cheap enough and if its old, then itll soon need replacing anyway. I'd chuck a new stat in too at the same time. Also take the throttle body off and give it a good clean and then see how that leaves ya

Arctic Blue 182ff
Cheers chaps, I finally located the CTS and the thermostat earlier so tomorrow I will take the air box off and have some fun :)