ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Poly/Plastic Windows

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Maybe abit of a silly question but I have a Clio that I use just for track.

What sort of saving is the weight from poly windows?
Also how do they fit as I cannot seem to get my head around it!

Cheers Josh

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
From what I can tell with mine coming away on track, they are bonded in around the top and side. Then screwed into the door at the bottom. The chap who owned the golf on wed had plastic windows allround. I would say as a whole they weigh a lot

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've got them on mine, massive weight saving.
The only thing I will say, they scratch very very easily. So every time you clean them you're damaging them.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
The back window must weigh a ton. Not looked into but do people really replace the front with a plastic one?

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
I would imagine the back would be expensive and j have never seen anyone with the back window done?

@Daniel have you stripped all your door card then and got all the mechanism out?

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
That's my intention, I have no door card but everything else still there!
Where did you get your windows from?
@Daniel

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
After spending a fortune on a set of Thermo formed, anti scratch blah blah windows from P4P I would say don't bother unless you really are trying to gain 100th's on a lap. The weight saving really isn't that significant in the grand scheme of things, over fuelling your car will add more weight tbh..

I was going to put them on my 106 gti and you'd be surprised at the weight difference between them and glass.

Also you are losing weight from up high on the car which will improve COG and handling (although probably not as noticeable as the weight lost)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
If you are looking at getting quicker on say trackdays I wouldn't bother. A driver who is say two/three seconds a lap quicker with full interior in will make the idea of having poly windows a daft idea if the reason is as above.

But to get the track car look and feel (to an extent) thrn crack on. I have them in mine, that's what they came with. If I had a choice over cost/easy to clean etc then I wouldn't buy them.

Imo of course :)

Im going sensible as I can with this car. No engine mods and only fixing areas if the car that are already weak.

Yeah Clio I got rid if the 106 as it was going to turn into a real money pit all the mods I had planned.

Focus RS & '05 182
I have a polycarb rear screen in my FG tailgate and it does look a little hazy when the sun hits it. Not really bothered as you need to look where you're going but it really doesn't weigh a lot as a pair!

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Removing the electric windows and replacing the glass saves 15kg.

Thermoformed windows look oem compared to flat sheet.

You can get lexan which scratches or hardcoated with marguard which is scratch resistant (and it works!)

I happen to have a full set of brand new poly windows for sale which are thermoformed with marguard coating, black borders on the three rear windows and a bonding kit so you don't have to bolt them in (which looks s**t imo).

172, BMW 650i & X5
New to club but been reading thread and promise I'll have pics up soon. I have changed all but front window to 1mm polycarbonate. Rear window was a b**ch but easy with a little heat applied for flexibility and stretch. Advantages are not just weight but also lowering your centre of gravity and a mod for track well worth doing. I made my own (very easy) and cost me approx £40 all in

172, BMW 650i & X5
Hi Josh, I used 10mm 'Jack screws'. Basically 10mm long with drill type self tapping thread. Heads are flat 10mm and secure it lovely placed about 4 inches apart. Easy cutting procedure, use flat edge of sheet on bottom of windows and mark it out, then cut with SHARP scissors and trim as required. Dead easy. Rear window is easier done if heated a bit (hair dryer) and secured into shape (screws were 2 inches apart here)

172, BMW 650i & X5
36v1.jpg
36v1.jpg

There's a fair weight saving to be had!!

I would personally pay up and only get the marguard ones now. Mine have scratched like a b**ch on the sliders with barely any use.

You can also get them with some kind of UV coating like I did, which stops the car from being like a greenhouse in direct sunlight. But even still it's still hot without being able to open the window and get any fresh air in!

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
For racing they need to be a certain thickness though iirc. Check the bluebook :)