ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

polishing and sealing gelcoat

right a slightly different topic for once

My new baby arrived last weekend
View attachment 100907

and what i want to do is get the da out and machine polish the gelcoat ,then seal it with something that will be tough and last.

in the same way we want car bodywork to bead , what i need to do is make this so its got the least sticktion to water i can manage , there are various diffeent ways on boat forums ,but they are no doubt behind what's currently good tech

​Any ideas , ???

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
+4. Grab some C2V3 mate if you can, easy 1 coat in 15/20 minutes.

I wouldn't polish it fella. If it's new, I'd do an IPA wipe down and just keep on top of it.

We wash down dad's RS200 having applied FK1000p to it a while ago and still beads and washes down just fine, even when he goes to Minorca with it.

I wouldn't polish it fella. If it's new, I'd do an IPA wipe down and just keep on top of it. We wash down dad's RS200 having applied FK1000p to it a while ago and still beads and washes down just fine, even when he goes to Minorca with it.

not brand new JD new to me ........ so want to get the hull tip top first .

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Maybe email Gtechniq, that's their forte. Oh and that C1 is a bit piss. Oh and it's not for an amateur to apply. C2V3 would be easy and last.

Ah ok. In that case, P1 or P2 in my eyes. Shouldn't need a lot. What condition? Salt water use I presume?

​Yep salt water JD as you need a very big lake for a b14 really to get the best from it . hence going over everything on it at the moment .

​Yep salt water JD as you need a very big lake for a b14 really to get the best from it . hence going over everything on it at the moment .

Ah nice! Apologies, on the phone before so couldn't see the picture and make out what it was!

In that case, I would be definitely looking at a nano sealant over C2V3 and tbh, if it was mine, I'd pay Rob to do it if you're not happy diying it. It won't cost the earth for a dinghy. The only thing I'm not sure on is application in relation to inside the dinghy i.e. slip surfaces.

Ah nice! Apologies, on the phone before so couldn't see the picture and make out what it was! In that case, I would be definitely looking at a nano sealant over C2V3 and tbh, if it was mine, I'd pay Rob to do it if you're not happy diying it. It won't cost the earth for a dinghy. The only thing I'm not sure on is application in relation to inside the dinghy i.e. slip surfaces.

thats why i was looking at sealants ...... 2 years ago the boys at the inlands went through the radar gun at 26knts they are a hell of a ride when planning in a decent breeze . Fastest non trapeeze boat out there , and alot claim actually faster than an RS800 but i suspect that its marginal and depends on relative crew weights

:( I miss the hum of a good plane. Not been for two years now, since moving to London. Effing shame!

Anyway, back OT, I'd email and speak to Rob about getting it done properly, Harv. Few ££ outlay for a good year or two of protection.

If you're ever looking for a helm (don't do crew, too headstrong ;)) shout!

happy to let someone helm ..... i crewed alot on fast stuff and often crew as i know an ex euro 29er helm ..... i crewed for him on my boat last weekend , very light winds so i was on the foredeck with the kite , which was a new lightwind trick !!

​i am virtually london based but keep the boat down at stokes bay gosport .