ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Police set to step up hacking of home PCs

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Like music downloaders, ISP's have been giving up the names/address's of users.

182FF with cup packs
So how are the po po going to get past anti-virus, anti-spyware, and software & hardware firewalls? Do they have like Super-Hackers. Cyborgs? lol sounds like a load of old tosh to me.

Either way though, the fact that it's even being discussed is a scary sign of the future. Brazil, 1984 etc. etc.

There are ways and means.

I work in IT security, and I can indeed confirm that we use "good" hacking techniques to test our own security.

If you know how a security method works, you know how you can (in theory) get around it.

Basically, if you're doing something that you don't want people to know about, don't do it on a computer attached to the internet. As soon as you connected to an untrusted network, you are not totally secure.

Last edited:
There are ways and means.

I work in IT security, and I can indeed confirm that we use "good" hacking techniques to test our own security.

If you know how a security method works, you know how you can (in theory) get around it.

Basically, if you're doing something that you don't want people to know about, don't do it on a computer attached to the internet. As soon as you connected to an untrusted network, you are not totally secure.

Downloading jail bail p**n isn't fun with out the internet :(

185lb/ft dCi
what sort of IT security do you work in Pinko?

the massive advantage police will have over other hackers is the footprinting phase, they will be able to gather information from very good sources!

I realise they can get in, but get in and drop a keylogger that will remain undetected? Take data out and close the door behind them? I guess I'm slightly naive on these things. How difficult is it for a 'hacker' to compromise a system sitting behind firewalls with good AV, poke around, perhaps install something, and get out remaining undetected?

Obviously it's possible then. Makes you wonder why it doesnt happen all day, everday already from all sorts of hackers. The fact that any governemnt would view this as ok, is very worrying for the future. Next thing all activity of everyone everywhere will be monitored.

172 Cup
Obviously it's possible then. Makes you wonder why it doesnt happen all day, everday already from all sorts of hackers. The fact that any governemnt would view this as ok, is very worrying for the future. Next thing all activity of everyone everywhere will be monitored.

"Hacking" does happen all day, every day.

You might not experience this directly as let's be honest why would you true hacker want to hack into Roy Munsons PC (Using you purely as an example) ?!?! Obviously he wouldn't as there's little to gain. Granted a 13 year old might chance his luck just like your opportunist burglar might try any old house but we're talking about organised groups and to continue the analogy further organised groups aren't likely to burgle your average terrace house on the off chance.

However I wonder how many attempts are made on bank servers, governments servers, multinationals servers etc.. Not necessarily successful attempts but nevertheless it continues each and every day. Damn communists!!!

I realise they can get in, but get in and drop a keylogger that will remain undetected? Take data out and close the door behind them? I guess I'm slightly naive on these things. How difficult is it for a 'hacker' to compromise a system sitting behind firewalls with good AV, poke around, perhaps install something, and get out remaining undetected?

It's deffentley got harder with the age of computers. Back 4 - 5 years ago there was so many exploits out there a 16 year old could get into your computer and remotely execute a exe.

Last edited:
  182FF with cup packs
what sort of IT security do you work in Pinko?

I'm senior support for a IT security management company, do the whole gambit from sales to support to full on management of security devices (firewalls/proxies/vpn/AV). We manage probably about 8 or 900 firewalls worldwide. (BT even outsource to us)

Rootkits are a common way of hiding processes from the OS. Sony did it to 1000's of pc's where all they'd done is put an audio CD into their PC.

Thing is, it does happen everyday. The amount of compromised PC's out there is incredible, all it take is for someone to visit the wrong website or run the wrong file and all of a sudden, your PC becomes a spam spewing zombie in a botnet.

You'd be surprised about the amount of random scanning traffic that's just looking for openings in your firewall, or certain responses from ports that show certain versions of software that have known holes in them.

Thanks for the info. What I find bizzare is the part about no warrant being required. Surely that would effectively mean 'they' could potentially do it to virtually anyone for virtually any reason? Strikes me that any official system would be left wide open for corruption.

Anyway it looks like the age of freedom & privacy is slowly dwindling away. It will all end in The Matrix TBH :(

I'm senior support for a IT security management company, do the whole gambit from sales to support to full on management of security devices (firewalls/proxies/vpn/AV). We manage probably about 8 or 900 firewalls worldwide. (BT even outsource to us)

Rootkits are a common way of hiding processes from the OS. Sony did it to 1000's of pc's where all they'd done is put an audio CD into their PC.

Thing is, it does happen everyday. The amount of compromised PC's out there is incredible, all it take is for someone to visit the wrong website or run the wrong file and all of a sudden, your PC becomes a spam spewing zombie in a botnet.

You'd be surprised about the amount of random scanning traffic that's just looking for openings in your firewall, or certain responses from ports that show certain versions of software that have known holes in them.

I bet 10000's of computers are compromised every day to be used as bot nets / zombies for DDOS attacks and such.
But the normal compromised computers are just easy targets the 'bot master' doesn't normally single them out there just a unlucky exploitable box.

No idea why i just put this. Totally off topic. lol

182FF with cup packs
Thanks for the info. What I find bizzare is the part about no warrant being required. Surely that would effectively mean 'they' could potentially do it to virtually anyone for virtually any reason? Strikes me that any official system would be left wide open for corruption.

Anyway it looks like the age of freedom & privacy is slowly dwindling away. It will all end in The Matrix TBH :(

The fact they can do it without a warrant is the most worrying aspect. People seem to be more worried about the fact that the could actually get into your PC they seem to be less worried about WHY they are doing it and who they are accountable to.

182FF with cup packs
I bet 10000's of computers are compromised every day to be used as bot nets / zombies for DDOS attacks and such.
But the normal compromised computers are just easy targets the 'bot master' doesn't normally single them out there just a unlucky exploitable box.

No idea why i just put this. Totally off topic. lol

It's a good point, and if you think about it, BotNets just opportunisticly (sp?) compromise anything they can get their hands on, imagine what could be done if they were specifically trageting one single machine.

It's a good point, and if you think about it, BotNets just opportunisticly (sp?) compromise anything they can get their hands on, imagine what could be done if they were specifically trageting one single machine.

I've personally seen a 1000+ bot net controlled on IRC. The power when all them computers combine and target one server is POWERFUL.
Just like 1000 people trying to get into a door made for one. Some things going give.

Don't no what I'm getting at but there are people out there with power to do a lot on computers just luckily most of us wont get to meet them and with the power of the government they can do a hell of a lot more.

DCi
Like music downloaders, ISP's have been giving up the names/address's of users.
I thought that was just ISP's monitoring their own customers and sending them letters because record companies have been moaning:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7522334.stm

I've not seen anything to sway my opinion that ISP's arent going to stop their customers from paying them money even if they use their connections for things they perhaps shouldnt

172 Cup

1984-versionAfront.jpg

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
THE Home Office has quietly adopted a new plan to allow police across Britain routinely to hack into people’s personal computers without a warrant.

The move, which follows a decision by the European Union’s council of ministers in Brussels, has angered civil liberties groups and opposition MPs. They described it as a sinister extension of the surveillance state which drives “a coach and horses” through privacy laws.

The hacking is known as “remote searching”. It allows police or MI5 officers who may be hundreds of miles away to examine covertly the hard drive of someone’s PC at his home, office or hotel room.

Material gathered in this way includes the content of all e-mails, web-browsing habits and instant messaging.

Under the Brussels edict, police across the EU have been given the green light to expand the implementation of a rarely used power involving warrantless intrusive surveillance of private property. The strategy will allow French, German and other EU forces to ask British officers to hack into someone’s UK computer and pass over any material gleaned.

This has been going on for ages anyway tbh. it is not in anyway going to effect you the average cs user unless you are an international drug dealer/terrorist/child peodo etc. however i can see the concerns with new powers coming in s before you know it we are into pre-crime era... scary stuff.

A remote search can be granted if a senior officer says he “believes” that it is “proportionate” and necessary to prevent or detect serious crime — defined as any offence attracting a jail sentence of more than three years.

It would be nice to hear what type of senior officer. I imagine it would be someone of at least superintendent rank. You try getting them to sign off an enquiry to get a phone call list. I can't get one to sign it off for love nor money. It would be a cold day in hell to get one of these authorities signed off. tbh, i'd never bother as i bet the form would be about 40 pages long.

She said the move had parallels with the warrantless police search of the House of Commons office of Damian Green, the Tory MP: “It’s like giving police the power to do a Damian Green every day but to do it without anyone even knowing you were doing it.”

That was a S18 power of entry.... deary f**king me... S18 goes on every day in every town within the UK tbh pretty much. I had two to do in the last two days. It is not illegal as the Tory MP would you like you to beleive and has absolutely nothing to do with the new legislation discussed within this news article. the fact it is mentioned makes me shudder in disgust let alone question the reliabilty of this article.

TBH, i ain't a peodo/terrorist/drug dealer so i don't have any issue with it. It goes on anyway. I do worry about the amount of new s**t that goes on. like the terrorist detention days. clearly the curent amount is fine as if you can't get all the info within that time wht the f**k are you doing?!

but yes, i see the concerns re: 1984. but tbh, i think this article has blown it all out of proportion anyway.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
I thought that was just ISP's monitoring their own customers and sending them letters because record companies have been moaning:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7522334.stm

I've not seen anything to sway my opinion that ISP's arent going to stop their customers from paying them money even if they use their connections for things they perhaps shouldnt

They were, but they were also passing on customers details to the BPI (british phonographic industry) and in the case of the yanks the RIAA

but yes, i see the concerns re: 1984. but tbh, i think this article has blown it all out of proportion anyway.

You say that now, though. The future is coming. Before long your PC will report you, send you to trial and convict you in cyber space for downloading the latest Take That mp3 TBH :(

;)

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
nah man, i'll be on the self builds. i'll be able to avoid all that s**t ;)

i may be on thesloth mk2 by then...

LoL I didn't actually mean "you" but it tripped you up. You loves Take That.

I still lol at TheSloth. TheSloth2 will be f**king immense TBH :approve:

Fabia vRS
lets be honest here, unless you are doing something really naughty and drawing attention to yourself, then it's highly unlikely the police are gonna waste their time "hacking" into you pc.

maybe somebody should setup a honeytrap and draw some attention to it and see what happens.

dk

911 GTS Cab
You say that now, though. The future is coming. Before long your PC will report you, send you to trial and convict you in cyber space for downloading the latest Take That mp3 TBH :(

;)
you are lucky roy, germany is the best place to be, the privacy laws over there are very much in the publics favour. When I was working for HP, we couldn't even attempt to delve into peoples emailt o prove something, or even journal the mail or monitor web browsing per person.

Apparently you have to pretty much murder your boss to even get the sack its made that difficult etc.

Hence why news servers like usenext are hosted there, privacy laws ftw.

DMS

A thirsty 172
Great... so I'll have a load of feds attempting to hack their way through my PIX to try and find out if I'm committing a major crime... like using BitTorrent or mentioning the word "bomb".

Great... so I'll have a load of feds attempting to hack their way through my PIX to try and find out if I'm committing a major crime... like using BitTorrent or mentioning the word "bomb".

At the moment it seems to be just an 'expansion' of what already goes on. You're not likely to get hacked by the po po unless you're already a suspect. My problem with this is that it WILL get out of control. 10 years from now you can bet a pound to a pinch of s**t that computer hacking WILL be used to pre-empt crime. In other words auto-detect what you're doing wrong and report you. Anyone who doesn't think this will eventually happen is extremely naive. Already it seems they won't need a warrant to invade your privacy that you DO have a right to (allegedly)...it's a huge step in the wrong direction IMO but there'll always be the other 80% of any population that just roll over and take it dry :(

Fiesta Zetec S TDCI
At the moment it seems to be just an 'expansion' of what already goes on. You're not likely to get hacked by the po po unless you're already a suspect. My problem with this is that it WILL get out of control. 10 years from now you can bet a pound to a pinch of s**t that computer hacking WILL be used to pre-empt crime. In other words auto-detect what you're doing wrong and report you. Anyone who doesn't think this will eventually happen is extremely naive. Already it seems they won't need a warrant to invade your privacy that you DO have a right to (allegedly)...it's a huge step in the wrong direction IMO but there'll always be the other 80% of any population that just roll over and take it dry :(

Wasn't there a film with that kinda thing?
The one with 3 wierd people hard-wired into a machine that could pre-empt everything.... can't quite remember the name

edit: Minority Report
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0181689/

DMS

A thirsty 172
To be honest, I've got several years experience working in Information Security, and hold several certifications in the field.
The fuzz would easily be able to find this out and realise it probably wasn't going to happen, so it'd be less effort for them to just come and bust the door down if they suspected me of copying a CD or removing the DRM from an iTune.
It's true what you say though, there's certainly a lot of invasion of privacy going on. Most people would be surprised how many times they were caught on CCTV every day, or how many times companies perform credit searches on them without their express permission just so that they can offer targeted advertising campaigns... the list goes on.