ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pms solid top mounts, should there be play?

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Hi.

I have pms solid top mounts and today I've realised when lifting the hub up when jacked in the air there is a bit of play like I can see slight movement in the bearing. Wondering if this is normal?

I'll take a vid soon

Thanks for any replies, Dan

dan's cast offs.
hard to say for sure 'cos that's an awful video:wink: does look like there is play though. shouldn't be any.

Clio 182 trophy
Ive got them on mine and they have never had play in them even before i replaced the bearing, the bearings in these are a serviceable part from pms and they were only 24 pound each i think, just done mine
Matt

182 Trophy #333
Doesn't really look like they're done up enough, the nut should sit a bit further down on the shaft, or at least it has on the 2 sets I've had!

182 Trophy #333
They shouldn't work loose? Run over 40k on my last set with no loctite and they didn't once loosen off!

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
It might be as I'm running with bilsteins, you have to run an m22 washer on the strut platforms so there is less thread for the nut to grip. What suspension were you running buddy??

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
It might be as I'm running with bilsteins, you have to run an m22 washer on the strut platforms so there is less thread for the nut to grip. What suspension were you running buddy??
Going out now to check for you as I have the same setup.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Jacked the car up and tried with the wheel on first and then with the wheel off. I didnt have any movement at all, I grabbed the disc with both hands and moved it up and down while my neighbour watched the top mount. Tried to do a video but the camera didnt focus. Did get a few pics though.

Im using the washer on the top of the bilsteins too - I got it off @debussetti and I think he got the link off you so should be the same. No loctite or extra nut for me, I live dangerously lol.
5Aneum6.jpg

and then saw I need to get a couple of these :
vb3IURh.jpg

How much play is there in yours? is it making any noise when driving do you think?

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Jacked the car up and tried with the wheel on first and then with the wheel off. I didnt have any movement at all, I grabbed the disc with both hands and moved it up and down while my neighbour watched the top mount. Tried to do a video but the camera didnt focus. Did get a few pics though.

Im using the washer on the top of the bilsteins too - I got it off @debussetti and I think he got the link off you so should be the same. No loctite or extra nut for me, I live dangerously lol.
5Aneum6.jpg

and then saw I need to get a couple of these :
vb3IURh.jpg

How much play is there in yours? is it making any noise when driving do you think?

Thank you for checking that for me Gus :smile:

That's really interesting! I wonder if the bearings have had it 😧 I'd say there is around 0.5mm of play.

I grease them fairly regularly and you can see the liquid bubble out/seep out when I move it up and down. I'll have to see if I can mount my camera to something more sturdy when I do it next time!

I tried tightening them up with an allen key and spanner but they didn't tighten up at all but that was with the wheels in the air perhaps I was fighting against the weight of the car. I should probably try when rthe car is on the ground??

Yeah i'm getting a slight knocking now and again!

182 Trophy #333
On my Trophy so running with sachs at the moment but also used them on a set of 182 cup shocks, checked mine and there doesn't seem to be any movement at all but this set is only 2 weeks old!

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Had another look at these today, tried tightening them up even more with the wheels on the ground and the same issue. They won't tighten up anymore and still loose. Guessing the bearings might have gone?!

Going to get in touch with Nick is it? And see what he says. Won't be happy if the bearings don't last more than 6 months :S

dan's cast offs.
look for play under the spacer under the top mount, i got a 172 with a set on and the top nut had worked loose and smacked the bearings up in the sleeve in the top mount!!

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
I had a similar issue, contact Nick at PMS to sort new bearings.