ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

'PLEASE TOP UP OIL LEVEL'

Clio Sport 197 F1
Hi peeps, looks like i need some more oil in my 197 . .

Ive heard you need a special oil . . Is this true?

Any recommendations??

Thank u muchly :rasp: x

M

mini-valver

Any 5w 40 will be fine for a road car. Comma is decent and cheap or get some ELF if you;re feeling flush.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Just go to halfords and ask for some 5w 40 Oil. Any will do :) Firstly though check the oil via the dip stick thing first as it could just be a faulty sensor or something!

Clio Sport 197 F1
Ok . . will check the dipstick . . :eek: ha ha

Does any1 no how bigger bottle i will need?? lol

(i am a girl n dont no these things! ha ha) :rasp:

Thank u!!

x

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Hayley - i would say a 1 liter bottle will be fine for just a top up. Its only cheap any way. Think its about 5 quid for a liter bottle from halfords! Fred - you know too much!

AK

M240i
Ok . . will check the dipstick . . :eek: ha ha

Does any1 no how bigger bottle i will need?? lol

(i am a girl n dont no these things! ha ha) :rasp:

Thank u!!

x

Best to take it to a garage you ;) LOL women n' aww' that :rasp:

Clio Sport 197 F1
ha ha!

im sure sum of lads will do it for me . . thort id ask the experts 1st tho!!
;)

Thanks peeps!! x

Lionel Richie
the first number refers to the "thickness" when cold (higher number = thicker)
the second number refers to the "thickness" when hot (again, higher number = thicker)

thats in simple terms (oilman if you read this, i'm sorry!)

from memory a 15W40 is safe down to -10degC anyway a 0W40 would go to -25degC (approx, i maybe off there)

anyway serach oilman on here if you have an evening to absorb some info!

clio 182 & Fiesta RSTurbo
the first number refers to the "thickness" when cold (higher number = thicker)
the second number refers to the "thickness" when hot (again, higher number = thicker)

thats in simple terms (oilman if you read this, i'm sorry!)

from memory a 15W40 is safe down to -10degC anyway a 0W40 would go to -25degC (approx, i maybe off there)

anyway serach oilman on here if you have an evening to absorb some info!

i'm not gonna sit there all night reading about oil, as long as me putting 10w40 is not gonna damage my car i'm happy.

I'd also of thought thicker would be better when cold anyway to help reduce friction.

Lionel Richie
I'd also of thought thicker would be better when cold anyway to help reduce friction.

no because if its too thick then it won't circulate round the engine quick enough in the first few seconds and wear will occur (ok maybe thats a slightly OTT situation) so you want a lower first number in colder conditions

M

mini-valver

Seriously, just buy 5w/40, lol. If you have the choice, get 5/40, if you have no oil left, are in Salford at 9pm and the Garage only has 10w/40, that WILL be fine.

172 cup
im sure the renault garage near me say 10w 40 for the 197 slightly thicker and maintains a stronger engine when raping it but tbh they do chat bob up here lol

Matty