ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Please help with wiring my head unit!!

So Im trying to setup my new head unit so I can keep the stalk controls. (btw my car is a clio 182 2005)

Ive bought what I think are the correct leads.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_230735_langId_-1_categoryId_165626

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_230531_langId_-1_categoryId_165626

My problem is that I think Ive wired it up right, but it doesnt work :(

This is a photo of the leads coming from the car:

product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_230735_langId_-1_categoryId_165626
DSC00352.jpg

And a photo of the main loom:

DSC00355.jpg

So the yellow connector goes to the yellow connector on the loom.

The other two go into the sockets on the loom, which then goes into the sockets in the rear of the HU.

So far, all is simple and straight forward. BUT where the hell does that 3.5mm jack connector go?!!?!?

Heres a shot of the rear of my HU, the only possible connection is circled in red. It does fit in there, and it does APPEAR to be a jack socket.

DSC00359.jpg

But if I connect everything, it doesnt work :(

So am I being thick or have I done something wrong?

At halfruads, there was another loom: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_230675_langId_-1_categoryId_165626

But this didnt have a socket for the yellow socket coming from the car!

If someone could help Id be so grateful! If you need to know, the HU is an Alpine 9828RB. Thanks!! :cool:
product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_230735_langId_-1_categoryId_165626

Mental 172 Cup
i had the other loom fitted in my 1.2 clio! i purchased the loom you have at the moment and i got told it would never work for some reason!

dash removal is required as you have to plug it in behind the clock which is the red plug!

i also got told to unplug and leave my stereo out the car for an hour so it resets and try it after!

any of those 2 options mate and see how u get on!

Yeh the instructions for the other loom mentions dash removal. BUT I there wasnt a yellow connector on it! So where does that plug into?!

Im soooo confused.com!!

Mental 172 Cup
there wont be a yellow connector!

in the halfrauds link of the 2nd loom there is a red connector which you plug in behind your clock which is why you have to remove the dash and then u wire it all up to your stereo and then it should work!

i have no idea why they sell the first loom i think it may be for an earlier model!

But that yellow connector HAS to come from the stalk, so without it, how do you send controls from the stalk?! The other connections are only the power and speaker outputs etc.

If you dont use the yellow connector, surely the controls wont work?!

Remove the dash?! Jesus!

I still dont understand how that other loom will work. I assuming the yellow connector is the controls for the stalk, so without it, how is it going to work?

Any advice on the dash removal if that is what I have to do ;)

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
Remove the dash?! Jesus!

I still dont understand how that other loom will work. I assuming the yellow connector is the controls for the stalk, so without it, how is it going to work?

Any advice on the dash removal if that is what I have to do ;)

Because the plug behind the display is used thus making the yellow connector useless.

Removing the takes about 20 mins. should be a guide on here....

You'll have to be a member to use the guide though.

Dodgy one
Tried f****** the lead off and making sure the headunit actually works (plug the ISOs directly into it)

BTW that 3.5mm jack does go into the part you've circled.

From your pics you have a yellow BLOCK connector which plugs to the cars loom, BUT there is still a yellow bullet connector i can see thats not plugged to anything hence the reason you arent getting it turned on = It doesnt know the ignition is on

Yellow is the Ignition wire, Reds 12v Batt IIRC

The ISO loom you have recieved with the Headunit should have a Yellow wire for that bullet to plug into, If it doesnt its the wrong one.

Screens not an issue it should still display the time just not the radio stations but that wont matter much because the headunit will show it

I reckon its the wrong Loom you have bought though TBF. The one you have boughts for the older cars

Tis my 2p

Alternatavly you should be able to splice a wire into the Ignition wire and link it up that via a bullet connector. Ive done this in the past

Last edited:
Sorry should have said:

With the loom all wired up, the HU DOES work, but the remote controls dont work.

So the ISOs plugged into the loom, the yellow to yellow, and the loom plugged into the back of the HU.

Dodgy one
Wrong autoleads kit then, Bloody french wiring, Whats a screen got to do with a stalk :rolleyes: Guess it needs the screen to create a circuit

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
Get the correct lead from halford.

Then remove the dash refit radio, and then the steering wheel controls will work.

Where is the guide for removing the dash?

Ive become a member but I cant see it!

PS. There's a load of really useful bits of info on those guides so Im glad I signed up!

Da

Less
The dash doesn't need removing providing you get the correct adaptor. At the time I was looking for one CarAudioDirect were the only place that stocked the Can Bus adaptor required for 2005+ cars. Halfords didn't even know they had changed.

What further info do you require?

Da

Less
So basically, the leads I have are for the older 2005's?

I still dont get how the stalk controls connect to the loom you've just posted. Whats the purpose of the yellow connector coming from the car? Isnt that the stalk controls?

P.S. Is that pic of the main loom have the patch lead attached? Coz the photo of the patch lead looks the same as the part of the loom.

Thanks for your help Darren, Im really struggling here!!

Da

Less
Yep the leads you have are for completely the wrong cars Renault Clio upto 06 / 1998. If your car is an 05 plate then it's March 2005> and you need the newer adaptor.

I can't remember 100% as it's over a year ago I did mine, do you have the standard Renault head unit still?

Yeah that pic shows the patch attached but as I read it it doesn't come included in the price.

Civic Type-S GT
from 2005 onwards you may need the CANBUS version of the steering control leads - which are ALOT more expensive.
If you're lucky, you'll have the standard controls which are normal price.

Best I've found are incartec as they don't at any point require removal of the dash. They are the ones I've used and they worked first time.

What make is your headunit btw? The 3.5mm jack is for JVC head units.

Here are the leads you require:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/ctsrn005-canbus-steering-control-adaptor-p-6245.html CANBUS Version

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/29652-steeringstalk-control-adaptor-p-3474.html Standard Version

You may also need to buy the radio interconnecting cable (3.5mm jack lead) if the one you currently have doesnt fit into these controls.

Hope this helps!

Da

Less
Hi Dan,

No that patch lead will not work with the adaptor that I listed earlier on as they are of a different make and are not compatible.

If you buy an AutoLeads adaptor then you need an AutoLeads patch and the same goes for Connects2.

Does your original head unit say Update list or Tuner list on the front of it?