ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Play in wheels!

Hi :)

I have just fit my new suspension and am now carrying out the prep on the car ready for my trackday next week. Both front wheels have got play but only when in the 9-3o'clock position. What would this be? Driveshaft, bearing, TRE or something else?

I'm a bit worried as I have already pushed back the geo until first thing Monday morning and I'm not sure if it will affect the alignment :(

Any help would be really appreciated as searching hasn't really given me any definitive answers :(

Thanks
James

Mental 172 Cup
Track rod, track rod end or steering rack bushes. Maybe bottom ball joint but you'll also feel that at 12 and 6..

Your better off getting it sorted before Geo otherwise it'll only have to be done again..

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
sounds most likely track rod related. don't forget to check the inner joints aswell as the outer. they wear just as much, if not more than the outers

Thanks for the replies both of you :) I have just undone the TRE end to swap it and have now left that off but I still have the play and it does move at 12-6 :(

How can I tell between cv, bearing and ball joint?

Thanks again
James

Right I have stripped everything back to just the hub and it is the hub carrier that is moving not the bit the wheel attaches to so i'm fairly sure that its the balljoint.

Will I be okay just picking some up from ECP for what I do with the car (Trackdays, Race etc) or should I get genuine renault one's which would mean I need to cancel the geo and potentially miss the trackday?

James

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
won't be CV. that can't give you play at the wheel. Bearing is possible, check the hub nut is torqued correctly. Balljoint is an easy one to check, get a prybar between the bottom of the hub and the arm, and try to separate them, if the balljoint moves in and out of it's socket, it's shot.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
get a balljoint from ECP, they're fine. Even the cheaper ones they're currently selling are made by (femi) bilstein lol

Thanks Dan yes hub nut is correct torque! I had stripped the balljoint off but then saw your message so put it back on to try prying it but it didn't really move I now think the play is in the bearing in the Pure top mount :(! I don't know why I have this car lol. I'm going to change the TRE's and Ball joints in the morning as I was going to do it over winter anyway but I do think its the top mounts

Its 100% the top mounts I have stripped the fronts right down and can wobble the inner of the bearing with my finger and feel the play! Arrrgh! I was on the phone to Pure just this morning ordering some various spares but didn't get the top mount bearings typical I have obviously jinxed it :( Now to find a set of solid top mounts by 9am Monday