ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Plato in an MG for BTCC

172 Race Car
Bit of a badly kept secret but confirmed today..........

Andy Neate as 2nd driver, did a reasonable job last year

403354_359072934105367_206488186030.jpg

Jason_Plato_and_Andy_Neate-634x488.jpg

Focus RS Mk1
cue head gasket failure on the first lap! lol

only jokin, be good to see how the new MG gets on.

come on the Plato!!!!

neate was poor last year, that knock at the britcar 24hr action probably s**t him up, looks like gary oldman in 5th element.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
come on the Plato!!!!

neate was poor last year, that knock at the britcar 24hr action probably s**t him up, looks like gary oldman in 5th element.

I agree. Spent more time crashing into people than actually racing.

Listerine & Poledo
Love Plato, but MG?

Not sold on the idea, but I can see why they are doing it, BTCC was their last gasp at getting popular last time around wasn't it? Getting Atomic Kitten draped over old bodykit-Rovers.

Would Rather someone build a SEAT Exeo team and slot him in there, but, well, it's not happening any time soon.

Listerine & Poledo
THey're probably buying in spec engines anyway.

No sense in wastying money developing their own when they can buy in a fully-legal lump

bar tchspeed who are struggling to switch everyone will be turbo'd the regs state the change is needed.

hence integras are now outlawed :(

Oil Burner
With the NGTC cars, the actual Car makes much less odds now. It's half way to being a silhouette car. However, 888's engineering excellence should shine through and i suspect the car will be built to a level not seen in any of 2011's NGTC cars.

I will be surprised if they choose to run the Swindon unit. Although much better last year, it still was far from the strongest engine out there.

It has mixed the rest of the grid up a lot though. I'm not sure what this means for RML, I would be very surprised to see them leave BTCC, but equally an NGTC car doesn't seem likely otherwise i doubt Plato would of moved (and an NGTC car doesn't make much sense in terms of their WTCC, STCC efforts)

There is also Nash going spare, i have a suspicion where we might see him. Equally MacDowall is believed to bring a big budget and i would be surprised not to see him in a from running car.

I can't wait for the media day in March!!!!!

172 Race Car
Its been reported that they are running the TOCA engine in the MG.

Last year proved that to be up the front an NGTC turbo lump was needed. The full NGTC cars did show promise but there were several stories about the quality of the builds. S2000 cars are still legal, in Turbo or NA but next season (2013) they will be turning up the boost on full NGTC spec cars so if there is anyone still running NA or turbo S2000 cars they will be nowhere.

RML could build an NGTC Chevy and are rumored to be doing so. STCC are switching to NGTC this year (a year behind BTCC with transition) so would make sense as they can use cars in two series.

Yes the base car makes less of a difference with NGTC regs, all cars running the same suspension, brakes, etc. Basicly everything forward of the bulkhead is 'spec' and the whole rear suspesnion setup too.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Oil Burner
Its been reported that they are running the TOCA engine in the MG.

Last year proved that to be up the front an NGTC turbo lump was needed. The full NGTC cars did show promise but there were several stories about the quality of the builds. S2000 cars are still legal, in Turbo or NA but next season (2013) they will be turning up the boost on full NGTC spec cars so if there is anyone still running NA or turbo S2000 cars they will be nowhere.

RML could build an NGTC Chevy and are rumored to be doing so. STCC are switching to NGTC this year (a year behind BTCC with transition) so would make sense as they can use cars in two series.

Yes the base car makes less of a difference with NGTC regs, all cars running the same suspension, brakes, etc. Basicly everything forward of the bulkhead is 'spec' and the whole rear suspesnion setup too.

Is the Chevy team in STCC actually works? I've completely lost interest in STCC with the whole TTA, last i heard there was 2 teams confirmed for it!? And about 5 in TTA.

I hope you are right and RML come out fighting with an NGTC car, equally they will need a driver to match the car, which could bring some old faces back into the mix! Thompson could be an option although equally it wouldn't surprise me to see him appear in Motorbase as he fitted in very nicely there and they are now a very formidable team. Gio?

Although the NGTC engined cars (but not NGTC cars as these were clearly helped along) largely ran towards the front (mainly jordan, Nash and 2nd 888 car), they were down in the speed traps quite often, especially given it is a Saloon car not a Hatch. James was getting very frustrated about this. I suspect the reason they were running so well is that the Vectra is an awesome car and both teams running them had a few years experience running them (or more with 888). Equally the turbo caps towards the start of the season were (apparently) muddied by some teams playing games.

172 Race Car
Is the Chevy team in STCC actually works? I've completely lost interest in STCC with the whole TTA, last i heard there was 2 teams confirmed for it!? And about 5 in TTA.

I hope you are right and RML come out fighting with an NGTC car, equally they will need a driver to match the car, which could bring some old faces back into the mix! Thompson could be an option although equally it wouldn't surprise me to see him appear in Motorbase as he fitted in very nicely there and they are now a very formidable team. Gio?

Although the NGTC engined cars (but not NGTC cars as these were clearly helped along) largely ran towards the front (mainly jordan, Nash and 2nd 888 car), they were down in the speed traps quite often, especially given it is a Saloon car not a Hatch. James was getting very frustrated about this. I suspect the reason they were running so well is that the Vectra is an awesome car and both teams running them had a few years experience running them (or more with 888). Equally the turbo caps towards the start of the season were (apparently) muddied by some teams playing games.
The STCC team is a kind of works team but only affiliated with Chevy Sweeden (importer), not the main company. The TTA thing has ruined what was a really good series. Its only a rumor they are building an NGTC. It would be brilliant to see Gio, Turkington and 'Jesus' back in the series, I dont hold out much hope tho. It would be the obvious option to drop the Toca engine into the Cruze and run it like that for now, like u say would need a good driver to make it work.

The 888 Vectras have been sold to a privateer team, I really dont expect them to do much with them.

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
BTCC was always a piggyback series for RML though. Running their old WTCC car in different series was the attraction but having to build a new NGTC car without Chevy funding is hard to see.

There also seems to be confliciting information on whether the MG is running the TOCA swindon unit or MG unit. Maybe they'll be running the TOCA unit at the start until their motor is proven ready?

My most highly anticipated car is RAR's Audi. New chassis with the VW motor and last year experience would hopefully mean they'll be near the front.

Oil Burner
The STCC team is a kind of works team but only affiliated with Chevy Sweeden (importer), not the main company. The TTA thing has ruined what was a really good series. Its only a rumor they are building an NGTC. It would be brilliant to see Gio, Turkington and 'Jesus' back in the series, I dont hold out much hope tho. It would be the obvious option to drop the Toca engine into the Cruze and run it like that for now, like u say would need a good driver to make it work.

The 888 Vectras have been sold to a privateer team, I really dont expect them to do much with them.

Yeah, team ES. I think very little of their engineering abilities, the laceti last year was shocking. You should never have wheels fall off unassisted. Especially not twice! Why newsham has moved to them I have no idea?! Hopefully they have a contract with 888 to help run the cars. Im not sure who has bought lots of the other cars either, the Chevys, motorbase fords, other vectras. Hopefully it doesn't attract too many small 1 car outfits to give it a go.

172 Race Car
They couldnt even afford new tyres last year, Aggree about Newsham, shame he has gone that route, may turn out like the situation with Geoff Steel last season.

Thinking logicly would Plato of jumped ship if Chevy had an NGTC car mid build, probably not

Oil Burner
Thinking logicly would Plato of jumped ship if Chevy had an NGTC car mid build, probably not

Nope, this was my thoughts. It is also a bit odd that Silverline didn't follow plato (as far as we know) to MG.

I don't actually believe he thinks 888 are better than RML currently. 888 has shrunk to a very small team in comparison to their works days. We will see though!

E30 318iS x2
I was at an interveiw monday with an AMR team who share 888's workshops and I wasn't allowed to see the 888 stuff, can see why now.

There also seems to be confliciting information on whether the MG is running the TOCA swindon unit or MG unit. Maybe they'll be running the TOCA unit at the start until their motor is proven ready?

Like f**k they'll run an MG unit. They may run their own unit to the spec, but it won't be an "MG" one (Which the only engine it could be is the K series turbo).