ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Plasma -v- LCD..... again

Octy VRS
Never really understood that. If plasmas are so good then why are a lot of manufacturers not making them? Just cost?

Clio 172 Mk2
lcd all the way for me, not the risk of image burn there is with plasma and no risk of it ballsing up after a few years

plasma suffers from screen burn lcd you would have to try very very hard to get it to burn

tbh that website is written by the 3 big players in plasma so is just a bit biased sony have dropped out of the pdp market all together now

182FF c/w Recaros
Plasma for me, so far.

Screen burn, not that much of an issue now as long as you don't abuse your screen.

Of more relevance to me though is how Plasma/LCD handle SD material.

Sure, both look stunning more often than not with HD but Plasma handles SD material a lot better than LCD in my experience.

Since i'm still watching mostly SD then Plasma it is:D

Just found out that the tv that i love in my missus's house is actually a plasma. lol The 42 hd Viera. And ill be honest... i can look in the shops all i want, but tbh, the proof is in the pudding and i have to admit, the picture is awesome.

Octy VRS
I have a new Sony LCD and am very pleased with it. Some broadcasters compress the signal to sh*t so the picture can be pixelated but since getting cable the picture is fantastic on SD.

Revels Mum & Sister
Just found out that the tv that i love in my missus's house is actually a plasma. lol The 42 hd Viera. And ill be honest... i can look in the shops all i want, but tbh, the proof is in the pudding and i have to admit, the picture is awesome.

The panasonic and pioneer Plasma are SO hard to beat IMO

182FF c/w Recaros
ahhh dom. the 600... what are the advantages of the 600 over the 60?

Better looking;)

Better sound (not that much of an issue if your using a dedicated system though I guess). Great sound though when you don't have your audio system running.

PIP options (love this) and SD card slot.

Debatable if that's worth £300 odd extra but I do use the PIP an awful lot so feel totally justified in splashing out the xtra cost.

Kudos for Dixons for fecking about with my 60 series order so much that I got pissed off with them and ordered the 600 series elsewhere lol.:D

also the majority of plasmas dont do a hd resolution per say and the pioneers dont even do wide screen im talking 436xde etc

182FF c/w Recaros
Aint that just something to do with the pixel shape?

More pixels don't mean better picture anyway:D

End of the Day, plug a HD-DVD player into a LCD or Plasma and if you aitn seen HD before, either of them will blow you away:D

172 Cup (2003)
For me it was always size. Up to 40 go LCD, over 40 go Plasma.

Mine is a 32" HD LCD. Looks freakin amazing.

ahhh dom. the 600... what are the advantages of the 600 over the 60?

Better looking;)

Better sound (not that much of an issue if your using a dedicated system though I guess). Great sound though when you don't have your audio system running.

Debatable if that's worth £300 odd extra but I do use the PIP an awful lot so feel totally justified in splashing out the xtra cost.

Kudos for Dixons for fecking about with my 60 series order so much that I got pissed off with them and ordered the 600 series elsewhere lol.:D

that all it is tho? what about pic quality? i'll run my dvd's and playstation through surround sound anyway. as for PIP never had it... could be fun but no biggy.

Is LCD better for PLAYSTATION etc over plasma? or they the same?

Aint that just something to do with the pixel shape?

More pixels don't mean better picture anyway:D

End of the Day, plug a HD-DVD player into a LCD or Plasma and if you aitn seen HD before, either of them will blow you away:D

yes they use square pixels

and yes higher resolution means better picture (can be ruined by processing tho) th emore pixels the more detail (aslong as the source matches the resolution of the panel

Better looking;)

that all it is tho? what about pic quality? i'll run my dvd's and playstation through surround sound anyway. as for PIP never had it... could be fun but no biggy.

Is LCD better for PLAYSTATION etc over plasma? or they the same?

anyone?

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000
^ Main advantage is the LCD wont suffer retention (wrongly called burn). This IS an issue on plasma's and although they are better, logos that are always show on games/music channels etc can stay present for a while.

Plasma's do have the advantage of much better 'blacks' so dark games will have more depth and be more playable.

A4 Avant
^^^I tend to disagee! If run in properly when bought, a plasma shouldn't have image retention. I've had skysports news on for eight hours before on saturdays and played XBOX360 for 5 hours at a time and my plasma has no retention! (Panasonic 42PX60)

Blacks are better on a plasma than LCD! Much less banding!

I think they are both very good technologys but they both excel in some areas that the other doesn't!

RS 200
Some great things to come soon in the Plasma and LCD technology markets.
Here are a few shots of what can be done, featuring the worlds largest plasma by Panasonic at 103" (Samsung do one at 102"), plus some really cool new screens by LG that some how make things look 3D, so much so that if you stand one side and walk across in front of it the items apear to move so that you can sort of look at the other side of the object, all without wearig geeky glasses.

IMG_0122%20(Medium).JPG

IMG_0121%20(Medium).JPG

IMG_0106%20(Medium).JPG

LG's 3d Monitors:
IMG_0110%20(Medium).JPG

cup 172 mk2 + Scooby
Bought a Hitachi 42" 2 years ago for 3k , TV has been great never had a problem with it , picture quality excellent with Sky and DvD .
Just bought a HD DvD player and gold HD lead and the picture from DvD is outstanding.
Would recommend ! !

Plasma generally owns LCD when watching in darker rooms. Blacks and contrast are usually better. But as someone mentioned before, very few plasma panels run native 1080, and the ones that do are hideously expensive (c. £6k) AFAIK most current plasmas also use over-square pixels to allow the 4:3 native res to fill a 16:9 aspect, although I'm unaware of any visual impact this might have.

IMO there has never been a worse time to buy a TV set. CRT ruled the roost for decades upon decades, and it's going to be a long time before a new technology dominates and proves its worth. If I was buying just now, it would be a 42" Pioneer plasma.

CRT all the way for me. I remember a standard definition test not so long ago that put my TV (Panasonic Quintrix 28", can't remember the model) up against decent plasma and LCD screens, mine won!

I'm not upgrading for a very long time, especially with the Wii coming out soon which will probably look better on a CRT than anything else. It's the same with PC monitors, for gaming etc I've not seen anything that beats a really good CRT yet.

Lotus Elise 111R
I bought the Toshibe 32" HD earlier this year after it won a load of awards in the mags aend of 2005/beginning 2006. I don't know alot about the technologies, so went with the award winner and I have to say it is fantastic, the picture quality is great, and I have never experienced the pixel delay they talk about whilst watching sport etc on LCD.

Overall well chuffed. Also you have to wonder why Sony are not doing anymore plasma if it is so great?

182FF c/w Recaros
and yes higher resolution means better picture (can be ruined by processing tho) th emore pixels the more detail (aslong as the source matches the resolution of the panel

Probably why a lot of LCD's suffer with SD material.

High res panels with a lot of processing/upscaling going on that don't do it any favours.
Getting better all the time though and as more HD material becomes available it becomes less of an issue.

As Roy (welcome back;) ) says, if you watch a lot of films in a dark room it's worth bearing in mind. Plasma contrast is better and blacks are inky black:D