ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Piston rings or head

-Dan-

ClioSport Club Member
Hi all, posted up a week ago regarding power difference between 2 identical cars

performed a compression test and the figures are not great to say the least all over the place

1st test I got from cylinder 4 - 1

120 - 100 - 130 - 189

2nd test

140 - 145 - 153 - 190

3rd test

110 - 145 - 143 - 187

4th test

187 - 177 - 168 - 198

5th test

170 - 150 - 148 - 193

so as you can see all over the place!

im going to perform a wet test tonight as I forgot to do that

How likely is it to be the piston rings are the common? or is it more likely to be a valve

Regards Dan

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
You need to do a wet test really mate. Does it use any oil? It could be one of many things, or a combination tbh.
Could be rings, could be valves need lapping in again, could be a head gasket on its way out, could be cracked ring lands on the piston (burns oil as well though usually), could be a slightly bent valve, could be cam timing as well believe it or not.

-Dan-

ClioSport Club Member
Doesn't use any more oil than I imagine normal 1l roughly every 4k miles and a few track days Inbetween?

I don't know what's normal, I've had the car 2 years and it's always felt the same way power wise so perhaps it's never been 100% in my ownership

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Doesn't use any more oil than I imagine normal 1l roughly every 4k miles and a few track days Inbetween?

I don't know what's normal, I've had the car 2 years and it's always felt the same way power wise so perhaps it's never been 100% in my ownership
I've never had to top the oil up on mine mate, even after road, trackday and Nurburgring abuse. Yeah it uses a tad, but nowhere near 1L.
It could well be pistons/rings showing signs of wear then mate.

-Dan-

ClioSport Club Member
Tests were all done from cold, fuel pump disconnected, plugs left in and removed 1 at a time (I'll try them all out tonight), WOT and till the needle stopped moving 6-7 cranks maybe

-Dan-

ClioSport Club Member
I've never had to top the oil up on mine mate, even after road, trackday and Nurburgring abuse. Yeah it uses a tad, but nowhere near 1L.
It could well be pistons/rings showing signs of wear then mate.

Okay maybe that's bit of an exaggeration there just been informed it's more like half 1 bottle after 6k and full track days

It's never ever ever smoked at all, I put a go pro on the bumper last night and went for a proper rag and there no snake from the exhaust

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Okay maybe that's bit of an exaggeration there just been informed it's more like half 1 bottle after 6k and full track days

It's never ever ever smoked at all, I put a go pro on the bumper last night and went for a proper rag and there no snake from the exhaust
Ah yeah that sounds more normal then mate.