ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

pinking

996 Carrera

Recently Ive noticed a sort of crackling/rattling noise possibly from the engine or front of the car when thrashing about at 6000rpm plus.

How can I tell if this is an ordinary dashboard rattle or whether the engine is pinking?

Ive run on Optimax since new, have a PiperX panel filter and the R-sport ECU.

Im going to swap the original filter back in and maybe the old ECU to see if that removes the noise.

Cheers for any help,

G

Seriously doubt its pinking.

Get it to a garage who can check the air/fuel ratio, make sure its running right.

Actually hearing pinking when running is hard, its a semi mettalic rattling noise as the piston rattles in the bore going over TDC, usualy due to too much ignition advance, but your knock sensor would detect this unless faulty.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

like ben r says the pinking sensor would detect it and the computer would do the nes corrections.never come across a new car pinking yet.used to get it a lot on old 5 turbos do it when wannabees used to wack up the boost and piss about with them when they hadnt a clue what they were doing.

996 Carrera

Cheers for the reassurance.

Im getting the ITG filter and maybe the hill power inlet hose so it would have gotten worse if it was pinking.

I think Ill get it on the rollers at Power Eng when Ive done my next set of mods. Make sure its running spot-on.