ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pilot Sport 3s or alternative?

Clio 182
So the new 182FF needs some tyres.
It's on the stock 16s with a 205 45 R16 - currently a Dunlop SportMaxx on the rear and Toyo T1R on the front.
I'm not a fan of either (although the Dunlops are on the wear indicators so maybe not had a fair chance).
They're going to be my everyday road tyres all year around, although I plan on limiting the cars use through the colder months.
I've run PS3s before on previous cars and been impressed, is there anything else worth considering? The search function has brought up plenty of people asking the same question but not a lot of follow up..

Daniel

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I've just had 2 Uniroyal Rainsport 3's fitted today . Its the 3rd set I've had , previously Rainsport 2's . The wear rate isn't the best , only 8500k out of the front set but the wet grip is probably as good as you'll get , equally impressed with the dry grip even when pushing on . £119 for 2 delivered from Camskill and £10 a corner fitted locally . I always go for the extra load rating of 87 and inflate to around 34 psi . They do feel a bit different the first time you use them as they move around a bit being such a soft tyre . But you soon get used to the feel of them .

PH2 172
I`m on my 2nd set of RS3`s for reasons mentioned by @MRBILLYUK .
I do keep eyeing the Avon ZV7 though,as it is very close in price,same A rate wet grip rating,and might last longer.
PS3`s are excellent,but not at nearly 50% more in price.

Clio 182
I've had UniRoyals as winters tyres on my MX5 and found the lack of sidewall strength really let them down. They were great in the wet though.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Did you spec the XL though?
Yeah I specced the 87 XL after reading some reviews . The very first time I had Rainsports , albeit the RS2's , I did notice a slight squirmyness , coming from Michelin Pilot Exalto 2's. I soon got used to it though , and don't notice it anymore with the RS3's . Personally I don't think it's all down to the sidewall , I think it's as much to do with the soft tread of the tyre .
I actually looked at the Avon ZV7's for the very same reason you did , they get an A rating in the wet and like you say , are similarly price . I've just never heard of anybody using them before , so I stuck RS3's knowing they are a good tyre.

sidey

ClioSport Club Member
  cup'd arctic 182
Goodyear eagle F1 asymmetrics get good reviews in he same category as the PS3

PH2 172
I emailed Michelin and they responded saying they had no plans to manufacture a PS4 in 205/45/16. Also that PS3's would be in production until 2021..
Michelin don`t manufacture Crossclimate`s in Clio sizes either.

Clio 182
Still can't get away from PS3s, done a fair bit of reading and the only alternative that might work is the Hankook but there's not a lot of feedback on the web.
My past experiences on the MX5 we're AD08R for summer/dry use and a set of RS3 for wet/winter use - I ended up avoiding using the car when on RS3s as I felt the car lost it's incredible feel (it had Quantum 2 way custom valves dampers along with a load of other goodies...).
I'm going to be spending a bit of time on the West Coast of Ireland with the car in December so wet weather grip is important to me, I just can't deal with a loose feeling front end either...

Christopher.

South Central-South Coast
ClioSport Area Rep
Bridgestone potenza.

With the limited running iv had with them they are very impressive out the box. They felt great on the three laps of Goodwood I managed.