ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Picture request: 1.2 on 40mm springs

MK3 GTI golf 16v
Just buy coil overs, if you get springs you'll wish you hadn't and end up buying coil overs anyway

Listerine & Poledo
have a search for "1.2 eibach"
or "1.2 apex"
or "replica springs"
or similar.

There's plenty of content on here with those pics. As for "just get coilieeessss", well, yeah, but they'll cost 30% of the entire value of the car for ones that wont smash your spine in half at the sight of a peddle in the road.

This is my mates old 1.2, i believe it was on 40mm springs:

@DaylePemberton

10679929_10205124112610761_4898293397870080132_o.jpg

MK3 GTI golf 16v
What does a set of springs cost now days, £120? Or for £200 get coil overs which you can sell for £100 oodd in a year or so.

My experience withs springs and loads of others is this, you buy them and they are great for 2 weeks, then you want to go lower or you want it stiffer as you'll still get loads of body roll, or your dampers shot their guts out lol

I've had sub £200 coil overs on 3 cars with no problems, provided you cut the bump stops in half they are fine. My golf is on £160 eBay specials lowered around 100 mm and is comfortable enough

Or you get better ones second hand, my first clio I had AP coil overs second hand got them for £150, they were completely adjustable so we're great

MK3 GTI golf 16v
Lol I do know what you mean, but like I said I've had loads now and they are no issue provided they are set up okay

I've had and been in many cars with expensive coil overs and there is little to no difference on road unless they have damping adjusters. But then your generally in top spec coil overs which are over kill for the road

40 mm springs just aren't quiet low enough to look good, have far to much body roll still to improve handling and aren't particularly cheap

Listerine & Poledo
I replaced Listerine's old and tired coilovers with used Bilsteins from a later model with 1/3 the mileage.
Absolutely no drop in height but a marked improvement in handling and ride.
But therein lies the rub, what's important, making it round corners or looking like a badman down da hi street.