ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PHP Code Copyright Issue

350Z GT
Morning All! :)
Just a quick question which hopefully someone will know the answer to.
Yesterday me and a friend were out doing some photography (all irelevant but anyway) He received a phonecall while we were out about his website.

Basically 1 of his competitiors or whatever you want to call them has told their website designer that his website looks almost the same, my friends website design was done by him. The PHP code for the script which lists his stock was a script made using a tutorial on the internet.

This website designer has basically told him the script was made for the other website and he had stolen it. What are the legalities when it comes to PHP and copyright? I thought it was all open source anyway and even purchased scripts still weren't copyrighted as someone could download it illegally and still use it just without the authors technical support etc.

My friends website is in the process of a re-design and he has taken it offline but planned on carrying on using the same PHP Script to display stock. Does this other website designer have any grounds to take my friend to the 'authorities' as he put it over a script that many people use?

Thanks all :)