ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Photography Chat and Questions Thread

I think I have a problem...

i-rqVgLcQ-M.jpg

Ha, got one of them and just bought an a37 body only as a holiday camera as a77 is too big for a tourist!

It's a beast, I nearly bought the grip, pleased I didn't as it feels like it will take a big lens comfortably no problem.

Very pleased with it though, the 16-50mm 2.8 (still can't believe that's a kit lens) and 70-300 fit in my Crumpler shoulder bag easily, that's all I need for travelling.

I love the swivel LCD, best implementation of one I've seen, and the EVF is lovely, I've had 4 cameras with one and this is comfortably the best.

Niall you have a good memory, it was replaced by the rx100

the a37 has been bought for an upcoming holiday as dont want to lug the a77 around! May sell the a37 afterwards but its got the great 16meg sensor so we will see... I may even remove the plastic mirror and use it as an m/f astro camera!

ukaskew its only a kit in name, best 16-50 across any manufacturer

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Properly retarded question ... UV Filters.

What's the point ?

Bought one for a couple of lenses years ago, still got one left [77mm if anyone wants to make me an offer].

I never ever use it. What is the point of them (serious question) on a day to day basis ?!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Properly retarded question ... UV Filters.

What's the point ?

Bought one for a couple of lenses years ago, still got one left [77mm if anyone wants to make me an offer].

I never ever use it. What is the point of them (serious question) on a day to day basis ?!

Mainly just for protection, although I hardly use them either as i have polarizers on most of the time.

Uv filters were often used in the film days to remove a very light haze from shots, digital sensors already do this so no need for uv filtration. However lots of people like to use them for protection to which there's a big debate over whether they degrade IQ.

Having attended a few rally events in my time, I can see how it's very very easy to damage the front element via flying stones etc. Even at Castle Combe I've only just avoided debris (from a flipping Formula Ford). Considering I had a £1500 lens that I could never afford to replace, it was a no brainer.

Sure, you would need to be unlucky, but attending 20-30 events per year reduces that luck somewhat.

You're a motorsports photographer who can get on 'the other side' of the fence ;) That's different.

​To the average joe like us lot, they're pointless.

You're a motorsports photographer who can get on 'the other side' of the fence ;) That's different.

​To the average joe like us lot, they're pointless.

You can stand where you like (within reason) at a rally, and I know quite a few guys here attend them every now and again. Same with motocross or anything like that, more than close enough to take a hit.

Maybe don't bother day to day, but worth considering if you're attending a motorsport event (for the record, all my photography is done behind the fence ;))

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Cheers guys.

I understand them as a 'safety factor' sort of thing but I meant their official use.

I'll probably just leave it in the bag for a reason yet to be apparent :eek:

G51 BEN
Okay so I want to get a few studio lights and backdrop etc as I have been asked by a friend to take some pics of her for her dancing degree or whatever she does.
To start with I want to get the essentials but only have a £100 budget this month and will expand next month. I have a Metz flash which is brilliant but I was just going to ask what the essential kit for starting out is?

I know most people kit their studio out with a few ££££ but I haven't got that yet!!

Also what kind of lighting set ups do you have? Pics would be great :)

Cupra
You can do a lot with cheap flashes, modifiers and triggers from eBay.

I found a bargain 2nd hand set from a guy who had invested in an entire Elinchrom studio set for one job and then wanted rid of it.
I put in a really cheeky offer and he accepted. It's paid for itself now and has just been collecting dust for months as I'm too busy with my proper job to do anything with my camera. It was worth it just for some of the fun shots of my kids over the years.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21366525692.474650.jpg

Cupra
There are 3x 500watt Elinchrom heads. They came with carry case, white and black 3x15 metre backdrops with stands and wall mount rack, triggers, modifiers and a 1200 watt battery power pack for shooting outdoors. The whole lot cost me £600 and was pretty much brand new. Very lucky find!

Mental 172 Cup
Right, I know mostly down to personal opinion etc, but thinking of selling all my Nikon Gear and switching to Canon after a chat with Riad on the weekend, the wide range of lenses avaliable and what's on offer, I think this may be the way I'm swaying to be honest..

Im thinking of starting off with a 7D and a Sigma 10-20mm F3.5, but shortly after ill get a bigger zoom lens for motor sports and stuff..

Can anyone think of anything different or any more advice would be awesome as I like to hear people's reviews before I part with large chunks of money..

​Cheers Lads

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
7D’s are really cheap for what they are nowadays with the replacement just round the corner, however, Riad has said to me before about switching to Canon and I agree with him, but I’d only go once I go full frame due to the sensors in the APS-C Canons being inferior to the Nikons. The L lenses can only be fully appreciated on full frame really too, an example would be the 17-40F4L, on APS-C it’s quite wide, nothing to write home about, on full frame it’s really wide, we’re talking 11mm on APS-C wide, so it completely changes the uses of different lenses. Personally I’d go for a second hand 5D Mark II, circa £900 on Ebay these days.

But really I say why not, you might as well, the prices of some lenses are certainly more reasonable than some of Nikon’s offerings and the range is huge, just their APS-C range doesn’t float my boat.

Can anyone think of anything different or any more advice would be awesome as I like to hear people's reviews before I part with large chunks of money.

Handle it, handle it, handle it. They feel very different in your hands compared to Nikon, I personally can't stand the handling of Canon cameras (got nothing against them otherwise), even after 6 months of ownership I could never accept the button placement etc. It's a very personal thing so nobody can tell you what is right and wrong in that respect, but I would highly recommend getting your hands on one for an afternoon or something.

Speaking as somebody who has changed systems 4 or 5 times (Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Panasonic, Sony!) I would give it an awful lot of thought over several weeks at least. The initial buzz of new equipment disappears after about a day, and the photos you take aren't really going to be any different.

I would study the lens line-up in detail and weigh up the costs of each system. They both have gaps, but both also have strengths. As an example, Canon have nothing to really compete with the Nikon 70-300mm VR at an even vaguely similar price point, where as Canon have the hugely popular 70-200 f4, which Nikon have only just cottoned on to (at a much higher price).

Realistically though, at the mere mortals end of the scale we're splitting hairs, if you're in the market for lenses costing 4 figures then there are genuine differences, but unless you're considering 85mm 1.2s or 14-24mm 2.8s (the sort of lens that will sell a system to somebody because there simply isn't an alternative on the other) it's unlikely to be an issue.

The second-hand market has far more depth in favour of Canon, but depreciation is very minimal, so you are more likely to pick up a used Nikon bargain, but more likely to retain value if you use Canon (in my experience, anyway).

​The irony is, you're considering a switch but considering a lens that is available on both systems anyway!

Last edited:
Canon 10-22 would be a better and more appropriate choice than sigma 10-20 as Harry says you can buy that lens on your Nikon/Sony/Pentax!

7D’s are really cheap for what they are nowadays with the replacement just round the corner, however, Riad has said to me before about switching to Canon and I agree with him, but I’d only go once I go full frame due to the sensors in the APS-C Canons being inferior to the Nikons. The L lenses can only be fully appreciated on full frame really too, an example would be the 17-40F4L, on APS-C it’s quite wide, nothing to write home about, on full frame it’s really wide, we’re talking 11mm on APS-C wide, so it completely changes the uses of different lenses. Personally I’d go for a second hand 5D Mark II, circa £900 on Ebay these days.

But really I say why not, you might as well, the prices of some lenses are certainly more reasonable than some of Nikon’s offerings and the range is huge, just their APS-C range doesn’t float my boat.

I think that is the single most offensive thing I've ever read in the photography section LOL

L lenses can only be really fully appreciated on full frame?
Nonsense - the 70-200 2.8L was a beautiful lens on my 7D and the 7D autofocus system is nothing short of magical.
Full frame isn't everything - especially not with action/sports shots

I use my mates 5D MkII occasionally and for track work it's soooo short. I'd want at least the 100-400mm on most occasions whereas on the 7D the 70-200 is ideal.

There's pros/cons to both.
The only thing the Canon crop sensors struggle with is noise - but if everything you shoot is outdoors in the sun then that doesn't really matter

Handle it, handle it, handle it. They feel very different in your hands compared to Nikon, I personally can't stand the handling of Canon cameras (got nothing against them otherwise), even after 6 months of ownership I could never accept the button placement etc. It's a very personal thing so nobody can tell you what is right and wrong in that respect, but I would highly recommend getting your hands on one for an afternoon or something.

Yep very true - I can't stand Nikon's they all feel like kids toys, where as Canon's are big chunky heavy things that feel good in your hand. LOL
It's a very personal preference

The second-hand market has far more depth in favour of Canon, but depreciation is very minimal, so you are more likely to pick up a used Nikon bargain, but more likely to retain value if you use Canon (in my experience, anyway).

I've noticed that too - it's really weird. I've bought and sold over a dozen high end canon lenses and sometimes sold them for more than I paid. Buy 2nd hand and sell 2nd hand and you hardly lose a penny.
But nikon gear sells for absolute peanuts :(

Ok I need some help with reducing the number of cameras I own:eek:

i have a Sony a77 which is staying so forget I have this!
I have an rx100 which is great for landscape shots but its slow at the telephoto end and I like my bokery portrait shots.
am off to Barcelona later this week and bought a Sony a37 as I didn't want to take my larger a77 as its too big and theft issues etc.
a37 is great with the 35 1.8 and a nice small package that could compliment the rx100?
an opportunity arose yesterday to buy a Sony nex5n for literally nothing so I did:eek: advantage being it shares battery with a37! I love the suite of sigma primes for the nex series and there's 3 lovely zeiss primes about to come onto market.

​so what do I sell and what do I keep and what do I buy with the money made from what I sell ;)

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Lol, perhaps I should re phrase it to SOME L lenses. The focal lengths on lenses such as the 24-70 are strange on APS-C and on full frame are ideal, it's the same with Nikon.

I've tried a 5D Mark II with a 70-200 F4 and yes it was short but the quality was incredible, on a 7D with the identical lens the quality was not comparable. Of course for sports the 7D is better but other than that for day to day shooting the 5D will suit those L lenses better and the focal lengths will be more usable. So I think what I'm saying undubitably valid, especially given that the second hand 5D Mark II's are in new 7D territory.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
Ok I need some help with reducing the number of cameras I own:eek:

i have a Sony a77 which is staying so forget I have this!
I have an rx100 which is great for landscape shots but its slow at the telephoto end and I like my bokery portrait shots.
am off to Barcelona later this week and bought a Sony a37 as I didn't want to take my larger a77 as its too big and theft issues etc.
a37 is great with the 35 1.8 and a nice small package that could compliment the rx100?
an opportunity arose yesterday to buy a Sony nex5n for literally nothing so I did:eek: advantage being it shares battery with a37! I love the suite of sigma primes for the nex series and there's 3 lovely zeiss primes about to come onto market.

​so what do I sell and what do I keep and what do I buy with the money made from what I sell ;)

sell me the rx100

Lol, perhaps I should re phrase it to SOME L lenses. The focal lengths on lenses such as the 24-70 are strange on APS-C and on full frame are ideal, it's the same with Nikon.

I've tried a 5D Mark II with a 70-200 F4 and yes it was short but the quality was incredible, on a 7D with the identical lens the quality was not comparable. Of course for sports the 7D is better but other than that for day to day shooting the 5D will suit those L lenses better and the focal lengths will be more usable. So I think what I'm saying undubitably valid, especially given that the second hand 5D Mark II's are in new 7D territory.

Yes totally agree with that :)

I actually owned the 24-70 f2.8L on my 7D and it was a range I could never get on with, just not wide enough. But I put it on my mates 5D and it was mind blowingly good.
It's VERY strange you though the 70-200 IQ was worse on the 7D. We did a back to back test between my 70-200 f4L on my 7D against my mates 135mm f2 on his 5D MkII and vice versa - there was no difference in quality at all.

Also yes the 7D new is 2nd hand 5D money - but a 2nd hand 7D can be had for £600 which IMO is an utter bargain

Thinking of selling all my SLR gear and just use my X100. :(

I've not even touched my gear for months now. I've got a wedding in June which I stupidly agreed to ages ago, otherwise I'd start selling now I reckon.

Sad times.

I've not even touched my gear for months now. I've got a wedding in June which I stupidly agreed to ages ago, otherwise I'd start selling now I reckon.

Sad times.
No way man, that it sad. :( I thought this was your profression?

welshname

ClioSport Club Member

Sad times.

Surely just trim your kit down a little? You'll only regret it especially if you don't need the money.