ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Photography Chat and Questions Thread

Can't you contact eBay to get them to shut the listing down?

You need to fax a request, they don't make it easy, who the hell has a fax machine?! I've emailed the seller asking where they got the photo from and asking them to remove the item so will see how that goes.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
Mackerfly - £599 ?! FLOL !!! I should start charging people for hints and tips. I'd be retiring before Christmas.

Read the stickies on here, read the tutorials on here: DPC then just go and use it !

For those, please paypal me £20.

ukaskew - Ooft... good luck with that. Not sure what you're going to do there :-/

We could setup together, I taught for 3 years.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
We could setup together, I taught for 3 years.

I'm game !!

In other news, considering selling my 10-20 to upgrade to 11-16 tokina f/2.8 !

Anyone consider valuing my lens ?! Perfect working order, few scrapes on the lenscap but glass at both ends are fine - scratch free.

10-20mm Sigma - Canon fit - f/4-5.6.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I'm game !!

Anyone consider valuing my lens ?! Perfect working order, few scrapes on the lenscap but glass at both ends are fine - scratch free.

I got my sig 10-20 a couple weeks back, mint but no box, was up for £299 in local camera shop.
You might get £330 on eBay maybe?
I had a go of that Tonika and its a lovely lens. There was an ex demo for £420 I think at the same place.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Cheers.. yeah I might dump it on eBay and see what happens.

BIN £300 + P&P.. however, I do seriously detest eBay and the empty-box cretins that reside within.

Maybe a thread on here for a couple of weeks first...

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I'd try on here or maybe at a local camera shop as a trade in of you can. London camera exchange offered me a decent price on my 30d but I used it as part of my trade in for the sigma instead.
EBay was my last resort, luckily I didn't end up with it on there.
Good luck though with the sale.
That Tonika would be great for star shots too.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I have £100+ worth of 77mm filters from my old Tamron so I thought I'd go for the Sigma as the Tonika is 67mm iirc. Plus slightly more zoom range and 75% of my shots will be on a tripod so the low f number wasn't a major point, although it would be nice.

Twingo Dynamique
Hey I'm looking for a fish eye lens/ attachment... any suggestions on what to look for?? If anyone's seen any ski videos there's nearly always a shot with one...? Cheers guys!!

Twingo Dynamique
a proper lens is a crazy amount of money though!! :L literally not wanting to spend more than £50 :L and thats my totally max!! :L

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
What kit do you have ? Rent a 10-20 and tell me you don't want to buy one after ;)

"Filters" will look like you've taken your photos with a coke bottle not an actual camera. Just utterly pointless as you can add distortion in PS.

clio 182FF
Hi guys,

I'm newish to DSLR's but I think I have picked up most of the basics and have a pretty good understanding of how most of the features work.

I am going away to Dubai in a few weeks and want to get some nice shots. Has anyone got any input onto any must have bits of equipment I should take to get the best out of it? Also any tips on the camera settings/ adjustments?

I have seen on one site that it recommended dropping the exposure compensator maybe 2/3 a stop on a bright sunny day? Anyone else heard/ follow this advice?

My current equipment is canon 550d, 50mm f1.8 and a canon 15-85mm f3.5/5.6 which has a lens good, Hoya uv filter and Hoya pro 1 or so,etching CPL.

15-85 is relatively new to me but seems a vast improvement over the kit 18-55 in both IQ and composition possibilities with the extra range/ wide angle.

Twingo Dynamique
I've got a Canon 550D with the standard 18-55 lens, also have a canon 75-300mm lens. does a 10-20 provide a fisheye effect??

clio 182FF
Don't stop down... Sunny sixteen.

Shoot in Av mode, f/16.

Just adjusted my post as I didn't quite mean mode :p
AV for me is my most used mode I would guess!

I have heard this sunny 16 before. Is there any technical or theoretical type reason why or how this helps? I must confess I have just put the aperture at whatever would give me the correct focus and depth of field. Do you start to lose any IQ from diffraction or is that a bit of a myth or not until highe f stops?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
It's not fisheye but its damn wide even on a crop.

8460005540_70278eea5d_z.jpg

The Zed - Clean interior by evil_giraffes_rule, on Flickr

Much more useable day to day than a fisheye and about half the price !

clio 182FF
I've got a Canon 550D with the standard 18-55 lens, also have a canon 75-300mm lens. does a 10-20 provide a fisheye effect??

Don't quote me but I believe a 10-20 is just a wide angle lens. It will distort the image slightly but it is not classed as a fisheye. I'm pretty sure a fisheye lens is another set of lenses so to speak so you need to look for a fisheye lens.

I personally hate the fisheye lens look. Anyway like I said I might be wrong so if someone says otherwise then believe them!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Just adjusted my post as I didn't quite mean mode :p
AV for me is my most used mode I would guess!

I have heard this sunny 16 before. Is there any technical or theoretical type reason why or how this helps? I must confess I have just put the aperture at whatever would give me the correct focus and depth of field. Do you start to lose any IQ from diffraction or is that a bit of a myth or not until highe f stops?

The aperture won't give you the correct focus... If you want a shallow DoF then you want to shoot as big an aperture (small number) as possible. If you check your light meter in the view finder and you shoot at f8, it will be at a much faster shutter speed than at f/16. Shoot both and see what you prefer.

There are no 'correct' settings in photography ! I think it comes from 'old money' shooting .. where the camera now does all the work for you, you can almost do what you want. Lower than f/16 might end up blowing the skies though... shoot and see.

clio 182FF
i only want the fisheye for video :) skiing mostly :)

Sounds good. So your gona take your dslr up on the slopes?

That's the one problem I have with my camera. It takes very very good photos but it can be a hassle taking around all day from the weight of it and secondly there are some places and things that I just wouldn't take it. I would love to get some skiing shots but I would be afraid to ski In case of breaking the lens or camera but also the weight Might be annoying!?

clio 182FF
Evil giraffe, sorry I understand all the aperture stuff. I worded my answer slightly badly which is why I can see you would have thought otherwise!

If I'm shooting in AV mode though surely the f stop makes no difference other than DOF. As in upping to f16, how will that help to not blow the sky's out as surely by upping to f16 the shutter speed will be slower tocompemsate to create the "correct" exposure

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I'd rather drop my camera in snow than on that harsh as fcuk sh*t !!!

As I said .. buy an eBay special and see how you get on. Or just pick up a proper 2nd hand lens and sell it later. You won't lose money.

clio 182FF
dry slope :p and the fish eye would be in the park. and only taken out on really good days! :)

Continuing about go pros. I think for skiing there are some great options I have seen people do. Putting the camera on the end of a pole I think looks great!

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member

You had anymore thought on this? A mate is after a wide angle, so if you have a price in mind I'll let him know.

Twingo Dynamique
Going to a car meet tonight, will be pretty crap light, don't want to use a tripod. What settings should i use?? also, my lenses i have available to me are 18-55 efs and a 75-300 ef

Twingo Dynamique
So that's a big or little f/x ? And type of shots = not blurry ;) and yes i am very new to this complex malarkey :p

If you want the least blurry shots, then to for the setup I said above.
Put the camera in A priority and let the camera figure out the shutter speed.