ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Photography Chat and Questions Thread

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Niall knows more about this than me though. He works at the head office of the global distribution centre for circular polarisers.

LOL! the 18-55 is a 58mm filter thread, so it’ll be quite annoying having to buy two different sized filters unless you decide which one to get it for.

As for Landscape I’ve never particularly found the need for a CPL, I like reflections in water etc but if you want to darken the blues in the sky then they’re useful, apart from the fact that you can do that in PP. Really, polarisers are the most useful for automotive stuff, Eddie. I’ll show you what one does when I do those photos of your E21 :)

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
I've had a delivery, Now I've got to figure out what I'm doing with it.

Off to the guides.....

u2y6anu8.jpg

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
My mate has just picked up an 8mm fish eye which I'll have a play with on Thursday.
Got a full day and some of the evening in Liverpool planned.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I’m loving it from a quick play around with it in the house. I can’t wait to get it to London in a few weeks.

I know that fisheyes split opinion, but personally some very interesting and striking images can be produced with them :)

Yup I really love the effects you can get for architectural photography with them.

One of my mates played with one years ago in London (but on a crop body) - got some lovely shots with it

3433006684_ea439d8944_b.jpg

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah looks good! The tube stations will probably suit it with long tunnels and escalators that look good with a wide angle.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
You do know that a constant aperture lens just means that it is (in this case) f4 whether you're at 12mm or 24 mm unlike a lens that is f4-5.6, which as you zoom in makes the aperture smaller. So you can change the aperture to whatever you want, it's not 'fixed'.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Erm I do now..

I read a review on the lens and misunderstood a bit then.

If in going wide angle on my D90, I assume it would be better to go 10-20 or is this 12-24 lens adequate?

An extra 2mm is quite a lot at that range, but I would get the best quality lens.

You certainly wouldn't miss the extra 2mm if you got the 12-24.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
This Tokina is apparently pretty good.

I have

35mm
50mm
18-200 ( I got off Dan years ago and don't use much anymore as its bulky, but really good)

I was thinking of adding a wide angle to the lot, so I may get it then.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
I had the 10-20 and it was fantastic, I know it's one of if not the most popular choice for crop bodies. The Tokina is probably good too.

How come when I take a picture, particularly at night with stars and stuff, the photo looks pretty special on the cameras display. But when I import it onto my iPad the photo is nowhere near as good lighting wise. Pretty much impossible to get it to look the same as on the camera itself without bringing noise.
6amezy9y.jpg

qu6ubaha.jpg

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
I think it’s probably the screen on the camera being set too bright, it’s giving you a false impression of what it will look like essentially, whereas the computer will show the actual exposure.

I might not be right though with that looking like such a huge difference.

Come on Niall, you've had your Fish Eye for two days now and we've not seen a picture yet. What are you playing at man?! Where's test cat?!

You got a CPL for it yet?

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Come on Niall, you've had your Fish Eye for two days now and we've not seen a picture yet. What are you playing at man?! Where's test cat?!

You got a CPL for it yet?

Haha I know. I have some car stuff coming up in the next week so I might leave it until then.

As James said you can’t put filters on it, there’s no thread for a filter. So no beloved CPL ;)

Clio 197 RB
Went out today and bought my first DSLR - the Canon 600D from Currys.
Came with 2 lenses and a bag.

Are there any other bits and pieces that will come in handy for me as a beginner, and any literature that I can read to get some good tips and to learn the basics.

How much was the 180mm? Any on camera piccies?

D600 really does rock! ISO performance is pretty damn good!

How much was the 180mm? Any on camera piccies?

D600 really does rock! ISO performance is pretty damn good!

180mm was £325 used, an absolute steal. I had the funds for a 70-200, but I love primes and wanted something I can take everywhere, it was even smaller than I expected when it arrived. Will get some on-camera pics later.

Italian 3.2 V6
With a budget of £700 at the VERY most.. What's the best all round Canon body & single lens that money can buy? Can't be a fixed lens. Lens needs to range from atleast 30-80mm and be sharp as possible. New or used I'm not fussed.

Ino its a tight call & not ideal but it's what I need.

Currently looking at 50d & Canon EF-S 15 - 85 mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens.. Thoughts??

thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
With a budget of £700 at the VERY most.. What's the best all round Canon body & single lens that money can buy? Can't be a fixed lens. Lens needs to range from atleast 30-80mm and be sharp as possible. New or used I'm not fussed.

Ino its a tight call & not ideal but it's what I need.

Currently looking at 50d & Canon EF-S 15 - 85 mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens.. Thoughts??

thanks in advance.

Got that lens with my 7D .. nice bit of kit.

As for the question .. not really sure ! Check out Wikipedia page .. I'll find in a second. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Canon_EOS_digital_cameras

Get the newest one in budget, highest up the list towards the pro level.

PS: Just worked out who the f**k you are/were :eek:

Twingo Dynamique
Been sat outside for 1hr 30mins so far.... Just starting to get chilly and lonely! Hope some of them come out ok!!

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
With Fireworks night coming soon what settings should I be looking at using to capture decent shots?

Twingo Dynamique
Errrrr it went ok... I'll upload them when I put them on the pc! I just wish I had opted to point the camera to the north rather than south, and had more battery! I took 3 roughly 30min exposures... I think there's an issue with my lens /camera though :( you'll see what I mean when I upload the pics!

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
You done one exposure of 30 minutes? What settings were you using and on what camera?
I don't know anyone that does it that way, I imagine due to the risk of not have having a shot come out and wasting 30 minutes on it, when you could have got 60 good 30 second exposures.
Look forward to seeing the results though.

And yeah, always try to get polaris on the shot, or at least close to it.