ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Photo - copy right advice wantd asap

Send them an invoice for using the photo.

Get a screenshot as well, incase they deny that they used it.

They probably wont pay, and more than likely will just remove the photo, but you can always try!

Welcome to the world of c***s stealing photos, it's not a nice experience :(

Bus w**ker
First step is to ask them to remove the picture. If they refuse then you'd have to go through court and be able to prove that the image is your own, that you own copyright and that you've not given permission to use it.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
First step is to ask them to remove the picture. If they refuse then you'd have to go through court and be able to prove that the image is your own, that you own copyright and that you've not given permission to use it.

ok proving its mine isnt an issue i have the original and camera it was taken on

I can't see anywhere on your site, which says permission is needed to use them...

Just ask them to remove it, as you haven't given them permission. You play hardball and demand money and they're just going to laugh at you.

172 Cup
Where have you posted these pictures in the past?

I'd call him and ask him to remove the picture or get ready to bend over and take one for the team!

so a piss take e-mail aking for money as they like my photo so much?

Basically, just say that if they want to keep using your image then they will have to pay, otherwise they will have to remove it.

That is of course, if you want them to remove it. Some people want them to keep it as it's good exposure for you/your photo.

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
Contact them saying its your photo and can they remove it or pay you for it.....they'll either take it down or tell you the reason they can use it if they can.

Simples.

I can't see anywhere on your site, which says permission is needed to use them...

I think that is implied! So if there's not a note on your car saying you cant steal it, does that mean it's ok to steal it anyway?!

Silly comparison I know, but you get the idea :)

1.2 Dynamique billabong
Did you say it couldn't be used and/or reproduced however?

you dont need too, the photographer always retains copyright of the image (unless he has signed it over in a written contract), whether it is watermarked or has a copyright symbol makes no difference.

172 Cup

Just ask them to remove it, as you haven't given them permission. You play hardball and demand money and they're just going to laugh at you.

One of the only sensible answers (mine included) in this thread.

As for "stealing" your photo.. PMSL..

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
i may not have said no one can use my photos, but ive also not said help yourself!

ok ill do that thanks guys

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
One of the only sensible answers (mine included) in this thread.

As for "stealing" your photo.. PMSL..

right so what your saying is, any photo in the entire world that doesnt have copyright on it, is free for all?

172 Cup
right so what your saying is, any photo in the entire world that doesnt have copyright on it, is free for all?

If you put a photo on the internet, I.E in the public domain, without any form of copyright, or intellectual property protection, then people are perfectly entitled to reproduce it.

Rather than follow some of the semi-idiotic suggestions, you should just send them a polite email asking them to remove it.

If you put a photo on the internet, I.E in the public domain, without any form of copyright, or intellectual property protection, then people are perfectly entitled to reproduce it.

Without going into a big debate.....this is wrong.

Look up the Berne Convention.

Bus w**ker
Becuase he's correct, or just in general? lol
I'd say it's more than likely because he's arrogant and wrong TBH.

IPO legislation clearly states, like Jungle Jim said previously, that the copyright, so therefor the intellectual rights, remain the property of the photographer, unless taken under contract for someone else. So no one, unless permission is given by the copyright owner, has the right to reproduce anyones images in anyway.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
f**k me!

just checked his youtube and he has used a different one of my pics for his youtube av

tosser

172 Cup
Meh..

Who cares..

monalisa.jpg

Look.. I've "stolen" the Mona Lisa.. Quicks.. Call the police!!!

Serious mode -

Just read through the details of the Berne convention. Looks like I'd mis-interpreted it before.

I still think all the "stealing" and "legal action" remarks are way over the top however.

Audi S1
lol ive had something simular... but on bebo someone stole my picture (of me;) ) and made another profile using my picture... i report it they came back wif a stupid reply i told them if they dont remove it ild take it further... 2 days later tht account was closed.

Another common misconception is that unless you label your photograph somehow with your name and an official © style copyright notice then you have no copyright. This again is simply not true in the vast majority of countries around the world and hasn't been since 1989. Since you are the original author and you took the photograph then the work contains your copyright and you retain the rights to the image even if it is unlabelled. Likewise if you are going to use someone elses photographs just because they aren't tagged or watermarked doesn't mean they have no copyright, you can safely assume that every photograph on the internet is copyrighted somehow and obtain the authors permission before you attempt to reproduce it anywhere.
One of the worst misconceptions is that if you post your works in a public place such as an internet forum then because you are publishing it into the public domain that people can simply take your work and reproduce it and copyright law doesn't apply (many seem to be under the impression that be placing something in the public domain you waive your copyright). This is also untrue, unless you as the photographer specifically state “I place these images in the public domain for free use by anyone” then you still retain all copyright to your images.

Just FYI Andy.

I still think all the "stealing" and "legal action" remarks are way over the top however.

Yeh, I probably am going a bit too far, but to people like me who are serious photographers, to go through a lot of work getting a shot, and then have someone 'steal' or use it without your permission or knowledge is very irritating.

dk

911 GTS Cab
i'd feel proud that they used my picture, its a compliment.

If you don't have a site selling said photograph and they ahve obtained it without payment then i really wouldn't worry about it.

With images on the net these days, its very difficult to actually prevent anyone from doing this type of thing and trying to get them to pay for it or remove it is going to be more hassle than its worth really.