ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Phase 2 172 cup and non cup box

2002 Clio 172
Quick question guys. Is there any difference between the gearbox fitted to the phase 2 172 cup and non cup cars? I have a normal 172 and the box has just gone, and there is a guy breaking a 172 cup on here with a gearbox for sale, just wanted to be sure.

Cheers.

182 trackday racer
phase 2 cup = JC5-129
phase 2 non-cup = JC5-130

According to the information I have the ratios on these boxes are the same, but the JC5-129 have manual speed sensor.

However the JC5-089 found on the Phase 1 have different final gear 15/58 compared to 15/61 on the other boxes.

Btw all Phase 3 use JC5-130

So you may use the cup box in your car no problem.

Last edited:
  clio 172
phase 2 cup = JC5-129
phase 2 non-cup = JC5-130

According to the information I have the ratios on these boxes are the same, but the JC5-129 have manual speed sensor.

However the JC5-089 found on the Phase 1 have different final gear 15/58 compared to 15/61 on the other boxes.

Btw all Phase 3 use JC5-130

So you may use the cup box in your car no problem.

so the phase 3 box is the same thing as the previous box + a 6th gear? uprated internals maybe?

182 trackday racer
so the phase 3 box is the same thing as the previous box + a 6th gear? uprated internals maybe?

I think you meen Clio III not Phase 3.

Clio II Phase 3 (RS 182) is what im talking about, they all come with 5speed boxes. Clio III (RS 197 + RS200) have completley different (modern) construction that is 6-speed.

2002 Clio 172
If the JC5-129 has a manual speed sensor will I still be able to connect my speedometer up to etc? If you refer to the JC5-129 as having a manual sensor does that mean that the JC5-130 has an automatic one? What is the difference?

Cheers

lift number 1 @ btm
the ph1 and the cup use a speed sensor on the gearbox, the other 1*2's use the abs for the speedo sensor.

all you would need to do is fit the box, the speedo will work as before.

2002 Clio 172
If this is the case, why does my car still register a speed when in gear even though the car is not moving? I would assume that if it is taking its speed from a sensor on the hub (ABS) then the wheels would need to be moving in order to register as speed?

So far I have been led to believe that the speed sensor is on the final drive of my gearbox hence why I am registering a speed as that is still spinning, just the drive isn’t making it through the diff. I am not sure of the exact failure but all the drive shafts have been checked and are fine apparently, so some sort of final drive / diff failure I have to assume.

lift number 1 @ btm
ah, sorry. i was assuming you have a ph2? if you have a ph1 you will need a box with the speedo takeoff.

if you have a ph2 i've no idea what is going on!!

2002 Clio 172
Yeah it is a Phase 2, which does beg the question what the hell is going on? So far I thought this was normal as I was under the impression that the speedo sensor was on the box and not the wheel!