ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PHASE 1 - PHASE 2 front end swap

2001 CLIO 1.9 DIESEL
Hi All

Was considering swapping the front end over on my 2000 clio, was just wondering if a phase 2 full front end would fit my phase1?

Thanks

Richard

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I've not done it (not sure who has lol) but I've heard it's just as Tony mentions.

Not sure why you'd want to though, front end is the best bit of the Ph1!

2001 CLIO 1.9 DIESEL
Cheers guys, i prefer the look of the phase 2 front end.

Can anyone shed any more light on this? I heard a rumour the end of the chassis legs were different but i want to ensure i know what im doing before i dive in

2001 CLIO 1.9 DIESEL
Sorry mate, dont mean to sound slack but im a little new to whole clio thing :)

Were the cup racers phase 1 with phase 2 fronts then? Do you have any pictures pal?

182cup & 172 racecar

history23.jpg

2001 CLIO 1.9 DIESEL
Thanks for that, so is that a newer shape car with a phase 1 front end?

Really want a definitive answer so i can get some bits ordered lol.

Cheers

182cup & 172 racecar
?, I'm confused now.

That's a ph1 with a ph1 front end, then when the ph2 came out, they just changed all the front panels to make them look like new cars.
They did the same with the 197 and the 200, just to make them look like the newer showroom models.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Mk2 Ph1 has the rounded lights, like this:

3409414809_f249f05ebd.jpg

IMG_1020.JPG

Mk2 Ph2 has the triangle lights - it's literally just a facelift - like this:

5401385426_6c95b00dd4.jpg

Clean Monaco

Apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs here but you seem confused what the variants are.

Seems like an immense amount of work for essentially not really a great deal as far as I can see :S

Buy a Ph2 if you like the Ph2 ? The newer dCi is probably a far better engine than the old 1.9 derv lump too.

Clio TT originally had a ph-1 front end IIRC?

Believe it's not as straight forward as unbolting the ph-1 parts and bolting the ph-2 parts on. I don't know for certain but just what I've read about it previously and it being a bit of a faff.

2001 CLIO 1.9 DIESEL
Hi Guys
Thanks for the replies.
I would consider a phase 2 1.5d, however its the phase 2 sport shape that i like so would probably end up changing the standard phase 2 to a sport replica anyway.

I really like the actual car i have i just really prefer the look of the phase 2 sports, in my opinion the phase 1 looks quite dated, plus it gives me something to get my teeth into. The parts for the concersion are all readily available and very cheap i just want a little more knowledge before buying it all.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
James from Stone automotive has everything you would require as he has just broken a phase 2 sport.

You will need:
Lights
front bumper
slam panel
bonnet
side skirts
rear bumper
wings
arch liners

Think thats all off the top of my head but I am sure James could give you a definitive answer.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
since nobody has done it, you wont be able to get a 100% definite answer (unless someone has lol)

im also pretty confident it should work, the only thing i can see being an issue is the headlights as mounting points may have changed!!

find a pic of a ph2 with the front bodywork removed and compare the two!

IMG_0845.jpg

thats my ph1 with the bumper and lights removed, (sport wings still on, sorry)

would be insterseted to see the outcome as ive always wondered this!

Last edited:
  alien green rs133
I have done it. you have to replace the slam panel and the bit that goes around the headlights also you need to modify the bits that the bumper/wings mount to. its alot of work, your best bet is to get a complete front end off a ph2 car, (from the struts forward) and start cutting + welding :rasp: