ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Phase 1 172 ...... Acceleration or lack of

Ph 1 172
Ok bizarre one this so ill try and explain to the best of my ability
(please bare with me writing on iPhone)

It started happening last week, driving home from work nothing out of the ordinary

i pulled away from the junction and the car accelerated normal but then got to 2.5k rpm- 3k rpm and it felt like it had hit its rev limiter, this was at half throttle, then if I push the accelerator all the way to the floor it accelerates like normal.

this happens in all gears other than first.

The exhaust specifically the cat seems very tiney/rattling, and is popping and crackling as if its got my decat on there every time i come off the throttle.

5th gear seems the worst if I am at low rpm and in 5th gear it really hesitates at 3k rpm and the lets out an almighty bang, also goes to die/stall.

Above 3k rpm it accelerates as normal, engine does not seem any louder or lump on idle idle is sitting as normal. Starts up first time everytime never struggles.

just had Cambelt, dephaser, changed within the last 3k miles and I had a service (oil, oil filter, spark plugs, pollen filter, air filter) changed yesterday and its still doing it.

ive had it on a code reader and no fault codes are coming up, I have disconnected the ht leads 1 at a time and the engine note has NOT changed each time, which if im not mistaken that would hint at the fact the coil pack, ht leads and injectors are fine(clarification on this would help only read about doing this on here on Old thread)

so does anyone have any ideas what to check now?

sorry for the long thread thought it be best to segregate it for easier reading hopefully someone will have an idea qhatto check next.

Clio Phase 1 172
I'm no expert, but it sounds as though the mechanical timing is out in some way. I think i'm right in saying that the valve/piston tolerences are tight on these engines? So probably not a cambelt slip?
My money's on a fualty dephaser (i know it's been replaced recently).
You say "I have disconnected the ht leads 1 at a time and the engine note has NOT changed each time" when you disconnect an HT lead with the engine running the note should change quite dramatically.
But as i say i'm no expert, and the other guys on here will know way more than me :)

Best of luck

Ph 1 172
Sorry that was a typo the engine drastically changes when removing the ht leads.

Wonder how much it would cost to check my timing out? Not sure wether or not to drive on it or not its a right pain in the arse