ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PH2 1.4 MPG?

Currently selling my 197 for something more economical due to change of work place.

What sort of real MPG figures are the MK2 PH2 1.4's getting?
Been offered one very cheap so may be worth it.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
I get more to a gallon with a 172 than I did with a PH2 1.4 16v. But that could be down to the way I drove it.

Vivaro van
I get about 28 - 32 mpg on town roads, and anything above 38 on motorways, using the full rev range lol. Had the car remaped which 2, most ive had is 68mpg behind a truck on the motorway lol

Might be just mine but unless you granny shift at 2k I get no more than 37mpg mixed

Motorway easily 45mpg at 70 or 50mpg at 60

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
i guess u have to work your engine alot harder than i have to to achieve the same speeds, remember the topgear test of a prius vs an m3 on a track and the prius ran out of fuel first

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Ive had consistent mpg over the last 2 years, 36 mpg mixed and 42 motorway. To be honest the car rapes me for fuel money but it could be down to the miles I drive. I spend £200 a month for 1100 miles a month.

BMW M135I
I had a 1.4 16v before I got my sport and tbh, there isnt much difference in MPG between the two. It got slightly more on the M'way when cruising along but around town they were nearly the same when driven but with the added part of performance with the sport.

Its just easier to get to certain speeds with the sports quicker whereas you have to keep accelerating with the 1.4 16v hence why the mpg was near the same.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
^exactly, alot of people think that a 1.2 would be light on fuel and a 2.0l to be heavy on it but for me it is the other way around, people dont seem to realise that you need the right sized engine rather than the smallest you can buy to get the best mpg

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
I once got 70+MPG out of a Ph1 1.4 16v, hyper-milers have nothing on me. 60mph on a massive downhill stretch of the M62 for ages.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
My missus has a 1.4 16v and regardless of how careful on the loud pedal the best we've seen on the MPG is 38 (motorway) around town, pottering about its low 30s.

On the other hand my lightweight Clio 172 is giving me an average 47.5mpg at the moment. The beauty of not much weight, gentle squeezing of the throttle gives me effortless overtaking.

Dosent seem like ill be making a huge saving getting the 1.4 then.
Best ive had ffrom the 197 was 35mpg. Driving at 50mph.

Think ill leave the PH2, was only wondering due to getting offered one for a very good price.

MG ZR 1.8
I have a 1.4 16v ph2 mk2. It reads at about 31.7 in town, and about 47 + on motorway! It's alright...

Rusty Cup
^^^ i get between 36-46+ all day long in my 182 if you dont put your foot down a 2litre engine will be more economical than a 1.4 its all about how you drive it. Topgear did a test where an m3 followed a prius at race pace and the m3 returned better mpg than the prius!! its all about how you drive a car and in my experience its harder to drive a smaller engined car slow than it is a larger engined car slow.

e92 330i
I can't see how people get less then 40mpg in a 1.2. I do alot of stop start driving and even if I put my foot down abit I still get 42-45mpg.

Italian 3.2 V6
Waste of time, I got better MPG in the 172 and 182 than the 1.4!

As said, best bet is to go for the dci.

Mazda Mx5 1.8 Mk2
My 1.4 isn't too bad. Normally average around 520-40 with a mixture of A roads and town driving when driving gently, however get about 420-460 when driven with a bit more vigorously.

The DCI is probably a better buy though, should get decent mpg all day long even when driven not quite so gently.

Clio 1.2 Extreme 4
I can't see how people get less then 40mpg in a 1.2. I do alot of stop start driving and even if I put my foot down abit I still get 42-45mpg.

The only time ill see 40+mpg is on the motorway.
I do alot of stop start/town driving, avoid putting my foot down, change gear at around 2000/2500ish and usually ends up sitting around 30-33mpg!

Wish i had gotten a dci..:(

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Is that short town journeys?

I struggle to see above 35mpg in my 1.2 :(

I reset it before a 120 mile motorway journey and it was a bit higher 44mpg but as I normally do short journeys, it has dropped. 9 times out of 10 I do short, stop-start town journeys but it has settled around the 44mpg mark. Only goes down around 0.2mpg if I rag the knackers off it LOL.

e92 330i
The only time ill see 40+mpg is on the motorway.
I do alot of stop start/town driving, avoid putting my foot down, change gear at around 2000/2500ish and usually ends up sitting around 30-33mpg!

Wish i had gotten a dci..:(

That's terrible, somethings wrong, the rs Clio gets that mpg!

I get 48-52 on the motorway :)