ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ph172 v Focus ST

172 money pit
Hi all,

After owning a Focus ST (the mk2 225) for 18 months, I've had to sell it, and have taken the plunge into the world of RS Clio's.

I've had my new car (an 03 172) for a few days now, so I thought I'd post my first thoughts on how the two compare...

Firstly, to set the scene, the ST was without doubt the best car I've ever owned. It was perfect (for me) "out of the box" and was the only car I've had that I wasn't tempted to mod in some way. Secondly I didn't want to sell it. The company that my wife worked for collapsed, and we needed some cash so she could start something on her own.

In comparison with the ST, the Clio's engine seems keen, free and easy to drive. I'd feared that it might seem lacking in torque after the ST's turbo, but in the light-weight Clio, no problems at all.

The Clio's steering is also more direct, and you can place it exactly where you want it. Although I never felt that the ST was vague, it didn't feel as pin-point accurate in hindsight.

I'm not going to compare the interiors too much, as originally the cars were at a different price point, so you'd expect different materials / finish etc. The everything-on-a-stalk Renault approach to the controls is annoying because to operate the twisty end bits you have to take your thumb off the wheel - ie let go of it. The controls in the ST could mostly be operated with at least your thumb and forefinger still on the wheel, so you still had some kind of grip on it.

Brakes, stereo, aircon, xenons are good on both, although the ST did seem to have some bass to the stereo that belied it's OE status.

Unfortunately that's the end of the favourable comparison...

There are 2 main points that let the Clio down IMHO...

The seats are OK to look at, but offer questionable support either to the side or under the thighs. When you start pressing on, I'm immediately aware that I'm not supported very well even though the bolsters seem to be fine. I wonder if the base may be too hard? It feels like you're sitting on a pub bench rather than a supportive sports seat. I can see now why people fit Recaro's.

The Clio's gearbox is gash. End of. After a string of Germans & the Focus, the Clio's gearbox is simply poor. It makes me die a little bit every time I use it. It reminds me of the cable operated box in my Corrado, which needed the slightest of pauses as you move through neutral in order to make the change as smooth as possible. That's fine if you're cruising, but not great when you want to make progress.

The Clio's got such a reputation as a pocket rocket, I'm genuinely surprised about both the seats and the gearbox, and I'm willing to accept that it may just be my car.

Oh, and finally an appeal for help. WTF is up with the intermittent wipers? They don't work at all. I don't seem to have any sensor stuck to the windscreen, so I don't think they're automatic. They just do nothing. Is there a relay I need to check?

Cheers

Chris

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Sounds a fair comparison. I've never had a problem with the gearbox but I've always had low millage cars. Maybe a gear linkage. The seats in both my cups have been quite comfortable but obviously they arnt sport seats and that's where renault saved money in the interior, it's obviously more pronounced as you've come from a newer car.

mx5 & 172
yup, the gearbox is pretty vile in these things - it's a long way from being the worst gearbox I've ever used but it's equally far away from the mx5 one which is dreamy.

the seating situation is similar IMO - I was expecting it to be s**te in comparison to a nice low slung buckety recliner as found in the mazda and it is. It's a lot better than sitting in a picasso though ;)

The rest of the car is pretty awesome for a shopping cart though. I'm happy with my choice (even if it does have a roof :( )

53 clio 172
are u sure there isnt a sensor behind the rear view mirror! as they should be auto, u said its an 03 plate surely this makes it a ph2??!

Last edited:
  53 clio 172
sorry just realised u haven't put ph1 u put ph172 caught me out, should def be auto. might just have to wait a while for them to kick in??!

172 money pit
are u sure there isnt a sensor behind the rear view mirror! as they should be auto, u said its an 03 plate surely this makes it a ph2??!

Yeah, it is a ph2, but I can't see a sensor. It's just a standard screen with a mount for the rear view mirror - maybe 3/4" square. I'm pretty sure that's the only thing on the screen. I'll double check tonight.

Chris

Evo 5 RS
nice review - two totally different cars mind, I found the ST boaty on track but the torque and noise made up for it :)

lmao at gearbox comments, owning a Corrado too it's not QUITE as bad!!! :p Almost certainly the cars biggest let down though.

What possessed you to go from German, to Ford, to Renault and expect everything to work as it should ;)

172 money pit
sorry just realised u haven't put ph1 u put ph172 caught me out, should def be auto. might just have to wait a while for them to kick in??!

Ah, school boy error. How do I edit the title?

If a mod sees this, can you change the title to "ph2 172 v Focus ST" please? TIA

Chris

Last edited:

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I drove the ST about 3yrs ago and thought the gearbox was about the worst i'd ever tried, notchy and a pain in the backside. Then again the clio gear change travel is laughable...Thats why i went for a short shirt.

Fair comparison, at the end of the day the ST is a more solid car...

3 Series xdrive
Hi all,

After owning a Focus ST (the mk2 225) for 18 months, I've had to sell it, and have taken the plunge into the world of RS Clio's.

I've had my new car (an 03 172) for a few days now, so I thought I'd post my first thoughts on how the two compare...

Firstly, to set the scene, the ST was without doubt the best car I've ever owned. It was perfect (for me) "out of the box" and was the only car I've had that I wasn't tempted to mod in some way. Secondly I didn't want to sell it. The company that my wife worked for collapsed, and we needed some cash so she could start something on her own.

In comparison with the ST, the Clio's engine seems keen, free and easy to drive. I'd feared that it might seem lacking in torque after the ST's turbo, but in the light-weight Clio, no problems at all.

The Clio's steering is also more direct, and you can place it exactly where you want it. Although I never felt that the ST was vague, it didn't feel as pin-point accurate in hindsight.

I'm not going to compare the interiors too much, as originally the cars were at a different price point, so you'd expect different materials / finish etc. The everything-on-a-stalk Renault approach to the controls is annoying because to operate the twisty end bits you have to take your thumb off the wheel - ie let go of it. The controls in the ST could mostly be operated with at least your thumb and forefinger still on the wheel, so you still had some kind of grip on it.

Brakes, stereo, aircon, xenons are good on both, although the ST did seem to have some bass to the stereo that belied it's OE status.

Unfortunately that's the end of the favourable comparison...

There are 2 main points that let the Clio down IMHO...

The seats are OK to look at, but offer questionable support either to the side or under the thighs. When you start pressing on, I'm immediately aware that I'm not supported very well even though the bolsters seem to be fine. I wonder if the base may be too hard? It feels like you're sitting on a pub bench rather than a supportive sports seat. I can see now why people fit Recaro's.

The Clio's gearbox is gash. End of. After a string of Germans & the Focus, the Clio's gearbox is simply poor. It makes me die a little bit every time I use it. It reminds me of the cable operated box in my Corrado, which needed the slightest of pauses as you move through neutral in order to make the change as smooth as possible. That's fine if you're cruising, but not great when you want to make progress.

The Clio's got such a reputation as a pocket rocket, I'm genuinely surprised about both the seats and the gearbox, and I'm willing to accept that it may just be my car.

Oh, and finally an appeal for help. WTF is up with the intermittent wipers? They don't work at all. I don't seem to have any sensor stuck to the windscreen, so I don't think they're automatic. They just do nothing. Is there a relay I need to check?

Cheers

Chris

Ive also owned a focus ST-3 but also had to sell due to cash, I owned a full fat 182 before the ST and now i have just the normal 182(non cupped)

I dont think you can really compare the 2 cars at all, the Focus is the better car in every way, but that will be due to being nearly double the price of the clio.

But as jeremy clarkson said when he reviewed the clio 182 back in 2004 "you cant go faster for less"

Another good point is the clio 182 is far cheaper to run than the ST, I get nearly double the MPG as i was getting in the Focus, still, there is no substitute for having a turbo tho ;-)

53 Clio 172
Things I hate about my ph2 172 make me love it at the same time! Il be driving down the road with the usual buzzin' and rattling noises and then...a new noise arrives haha! Cant get anything that touchs the performance or handling for the price imo

172 money pit
Think theres a guide for fixing the auto wiper sensor. As for the box you might be in need of new mounts. It made mine feel much better. Fair review though.

I read the guide yesterday, but I can't actually find a sensor to fix. It should be on the windscreen right? Presumably within the swept area of the wipers?

Chris

53 clio 172
im pretty sure the only sensor is on the windscreen but behind the mirror. . . only small hardly noticable! got to be there!

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
I would disagree with the gearbox. I've owned a few of German's finest with super smooth manual boxes and when pressing on with the 172 I don't find it bad at all. Sure it's not quite as good but quick smooth changes are a doddle. The only slight notchyness (if that's a word) is trying to drop into first on occasion.

I must say i've found the box on the 172 better than in my old 182 too though, no idea why, mileage is similar too.

clio 172/Fabia vRS
Have to agree on gearbox/clutch. Having driven my clio 172 more than any other car, using the gearbox in my ex's type-r or 3 series, and even the gearbox in my vRS, I find the gearbox to be pretty Notchy. Not unusable, if you want to make progress as other people have said, you can. But it is the worst gearbox i've used. The steering wheel is the size a cart wheel as well.
It is still my favorite car though. It has character. It's dodgy, but I love it anyway.

RS Clio Trophy
The French cannot make a decent gearbox! every french car i've owned (high mileage and low mileage) and i've owned quite a few;) they have all been pretty bad, they seem ok when you get used to them, but then you get in a German or japanese car and you realise just how bad they are. I have to say Peugeot are the worst though, i used to have 3 quickshift systems on my 106 GTI just to make it useable:S

172 money pit
LOL at everyone's gearbox tales. Glad it's not just me!

It may be a bit of cliché, but the community on here has been one of the best bits of Clio ownership so far.

Love seeing peoples projects, there's a lot of support & enthusiasm on here. I can't believe the RWD project has been going on for 4 years! And have you seen the dude with the £300 Williams 3? What a star!

I'm going to start a thread in Projects soon to chart the progress of my car, which has been eventful already to say the least. No massive mods planned, just keeping everything pretty stock, with a few obvious exceptions ;)

Chris

320d
The gearboxes aren't good in the Clios. I found the box in my 1.2 Clio even worst than my 172. The gearbox is a minor niggle though considering the amount of car you get for your cash with a 1*2, its not the worst box in the world to use.

The seats I found were good on long journeys because they're like a big arm chair, but for the type of car they're far from ideal. Again though, they could be a lot worse.

Evo 5 RS
I would disagree with the gearbox. I've owned a few of German's finest with super smooth manual boxes and when pressing on with the 172 I don't find it bad at all. Sure it's not quite as good but quick smooth changes are a doddle. The only slight notchyness (if that's a word) is trying to drop into first on occasion.

I must say i've found the box on the 172 better than in my old 182 too though, no idea why, mileage is similar too.

Mine was notchy as fook till it was rebuilt.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Nice write up Chris. Agree the seats and wheel aren't the best in the clio :(

Clio 172 RS2
Hi Chris,

Nice write up against the Focus ST.
The seats could use more bolster but i quite like the Alcantara which holds you in place!
As to the shifting perhaps you need a quickshift... i only miss a 6th gear, other then that, faultless and Bang for Buck!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Personally speaking you havent made a step down in performance, a side step id say.

Anyway, performance wise the ST doesnt have much over the Phase 1 172, bhp/ton the Phase 1 wings it (marginally) Although the 5 cylinder noise must be sublime... :eek:

Renault gearboxes are pish, notchy, not smooth, basically not a patch on Fords (i rate them as the most fluent gearchange ive had the pleasure of thrashing in anger with) the fun factor more than makes up for the s**t gear box and ultimatley flawed driving position.

Z4
Personally speaking you havent made a step down in performance, a side step id say.

Anyway, performance wise the ST doesnt have much over the Phase 1 172, bhp/ton the Phase 1 wings it (marginally) Although the 5 cylinder noise must be sublime... :eek:

Renault gearboxes are pish, notchy, not smooth, basically not a patch on Fords (i rate them as the most fluent gearchange ive had the pleasure of thrashing in anger with) the fun factor more than makes up for the s**t gear box and ultimatley flawed driving position.

Agreed. I've been in a Focus St (although not driven) and it didn't tickle my balls at all, it seems like a big lazy barge where the clio is much sharper, more immediate and direct.
You're right on the clio though, the gearbox is cod s**t.

Italian 3.2 V6
Nice write up :)

some good comments.

Never driven an ST... But iv neve had any issues with gearbox. My 182's gearbox has never let me down, feels new. my old 172's gear box was abit slack.. Think it's all how to they've been driven And serviced/looked after through there life tbf.

PSJ.

Ad

MK2 FRS
I owned a ph1 and an ST together for well over a year. They do different things and I loved my ph1. I couldnt cope with the driving position day to day anymore for sure, it slightly off centre and the lack of support around the shoulders is not good.

I will say what i've said before, day to day the ST is superb all rounder.

Does anyone have a comparison between a Clio200 and an ST? I know they are quite different beasts but I would think it makes more sense to compare the 200 to it than the 172.

MCS R56
Does anyone have a comparison between a Clio200 and an ST? I know they are quite different beasts but I would think it makes more sense to compare the 200 to it than the 172.

A Megane is probably a closer comparison but the OP has had both, therefore it's a 172 comparison. We're not here to compare ugly cars.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I owned a ph1 and an ST together for well over a year. They do different things and I loved my ph1. I couldnt cope with the driving position day to day anymore for sure, it slightly off centre and the lack of support around the shoulders is not good.

I will say what i've said before, day to day the ST is superb all rounder.

I agree, i love the Fords cabin, seems like such a pleasure to be in.

Its only recently the driving position of my 182 has bothered me having owned 2 renault Sport clios :(

Clio 182
Really good review. With regards to the gearbox it is probably due to the age and the mileage. My 182 has done 23k and the gearbox feels really tight and drivable.