ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PH1 wouldn't start

Astra GSI, Clio 172
Hey guys, i went to start my car up this morning and noticed the fuel pump didn't kick in when i turned the key. When i actually tried to turn the engine over the car wouldn't even crank, I checked the battery and immobilizer and they weren't the cause. Anyway i had to push the car off the drive to let everybody else out, whilst pushing the car i heard the fuel pump buzz so i tried to start it again and it fired right up no issues. What could of caused this?

Thanks Alex

Most likely the TDC. Mine did this last year, replaced it with the newer 'upgraded' version and zip tied it in place to be more secure and its not done it since.

img_9083_f.jpg

it could be something else as im no mechanic so don't just take my word for it but it does sound similar to what mine did and would only crank after rocking or moving the car slightly. Just don't think the sensor was picking up a signal correctly. left it like this for about a week and one morning on the way to work it just kept almost dying at anything over 3k revs then eventually died further up the road

Astra GSI, Clio 172
it could be something else as im no mechanic so don't just take my word for it but it does sound similar to what mine did and would only crank after rocking or moving the car slightly. Just don't think the sensor was picking up a signal correctly. left it like this for about a week and one morning on the way to work it just kept almost dying at anything over 3k revs then eventually died further up the road
Hey thanks for the input! Car drove fine throughout the rev range started it on my lunch break fine and its just started up fine again. Fingers crossed the TDC will fix it!

SQ5
Now, it's been a while but I'm 99% sure the TDC sensor has no effect on the fuel pump. Fuel pump should prime when you turn the key to stage 2 without cranking.

dan's cast offs.
IT IS NOT YOUR TDC SENSOR. don't waste your money buying one. relays or wiring under fuse box first port of call.

dan's cast offs.
ah!! give me a shout if you don't get it sorted. never had problems with it starting when it was here so should be something simple, don't be surprised if it's only a one off.

another possibility is the main ignition switch on the back of the barrel.