ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 vs Ph2

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Closer and closer to renewal date.

Now my mind is between the old 172 and the new(er) 172.

Plus for the Ph1.

Cheaper
Front looks a tad more menacing
Don't see nearly as many as the Ph2

Plus for the Ph2.

Looks a better package
SLIGHTLY better interior
More available with lower miles

With regards to aftermarket parts, is it a case of, what fits the Ph2 fits the Ph1 ?? Suspension wise, engine wise etc.

What are the views and preferences? I have read BenR/Fred/edde saying they'd take a Ph1 over a 2. Why is my only question.

cock mobile.
Ph2, it's never, looks a lot better, much better interior.

According to the Ph-quick boys the Ph1 is faster, but we're talking bugger all difference on a road.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Ph2, it's never, looks a lot better, much better interior.

According to the Ph-quick boys the Ph1 is faster, but we're talking bugger all difference on a road.

Not too fussed about that for the moment, if a car length to 60 was my priority I'd buy a cup.

406 passion wagon..
Got my PH1 due to looks, nicer standard wheels, front end is better looking imo, phase 2 rear lights and it looks sorted.

Only downside, is the lousy steering wheel material...

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I can't find any round my area (brighton) to go and look at. Might just settle for Ph2, but would rather see both at least.

'03 172, now a 2004 CTR
I prefer the looks of the PH2, just looks a bit cleaner on the front end in my opinion.

interior and dash on the Ph2 are nicer, wouldn't go overboard about it being miles better though, as it's still clio interior which is shite in the scheme of things... neither is really 'executive' is it? lol

go for whichever one suits you more, I personally think the later you go on Clio's the softer and girlier they start to look. Drive em both and go for which feels quicker and most raw

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Ok how about comforts ???

Can't find many places that list specs of Ph1 these days. I know they both have air con, 172s past 53 plate have cruise control, any other big differences.

I also know the Ph1 has cable throttle and longer gears, but how much longer?

And finally, tuning platforms, I take it TBs would be in the Ph1's favour, however I think that's going a bit far for me. Would probably look at intake/exhaust and probably high lift cams, which would do the same to both right?

Reliability issues??? They're both Clios.. Which isn't the best start, but do they have different key parts or is it purely just a facelift with some extra toys (i.e. xenons which I don't rate and the shielded windscreen which I hate).

Megane Trophy, Golf
Mmmm well i think the ph1 172 front is like a frog or some kind of bug, not as mean looking imo! Runs and hides ;)

n2x

e60/f10
ph2 front end is just ugly, ph1s is a beauty.

Of course most of the opinions here are biased because of the ph they themselves have :D

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I like them both in fairness.

I would take a Ph1 (after driving it and being happy with it of course) if I could find a good one near me. Plenty of Ph2, but closest Ph1 to me is 40 miles and it's been barried up.

Sy

Pajero 3.8 V6
Ph1 are far less common. And thats about it really, they are both sh**te!!
But I love mine and would have another lol

Can't find many places that list specs of Ph1 these days. I know they both have air con, 172s past 53 plate have cruise control, any other big differences.

And finally, tuning platforms, I take it TBs would be in the Ph1's favour, however I think that's going a bit far for me. Would probably look at intake/exhaust and probably high lift cams, which would do the same to both right?

Reliability issues??? They're both Clios.. Which isn't the best start, but do they have different key parts or is it purely just a facelift with some extra toys (i.e. xenons which I don't rate and the shielded windscreen which I hate).

neither car is particularly comfy imo, the seats in the Mk2's are garbage when you compare them to say the Valver or Williams seats, which are very comfy and supportive.

as for gearing, no idea, but I hit 80mph in 2nd, 105mph 3rd, 130+ in 4th and 5th I dont dare try... though it has done 151mph on GPS :D

TB's would transform the car, could do it on either, but the weight on the Ph2 would be my main concern.

BMW M4; S1000 RR

neither car is particularly comfy imo, the seats in the Mk2's are garbage when you compare them to say the Valver or Williams seats, which are very comfy and supportive.

as for gearing, no idea, but I hit 80mph in 2nd, 105mph 3rd, 130+ in 4th and 5th I dont dare try... though it has done 151mph on GPS :D

TB's would transform the car, could do it on either, but the weight on the Ph2 would be my main concern.

That's insane.

150mph does sound appealing.. I would've taken the piss 12 months ago, but even the DCi feels fine going through motorway curves at 120 so it's not that rediculous.

Ahh decisions decisions, I think I need to have a proper go in both, and decide how far I'd be willing to take it (TB, or not TB)..

BMW M4; S1000 RR
80kg or something?

Ph2 looks newer, nicer imo! But i'm biased!

To start with true.

If you had the rear end of a 172cup on the Ph1 and maybe even a carbon bonnet, it'd look the shizzle.

But I'm not homo so any mods done will be functional:eek:

Starting with the tried and tested laser jammer btw!

I do like the ph1's because they are alot more rare, but what with the latest Clio out now they are getting abit dated and most of them will be at least 6yrs old now, having said this you can pick them up for £3.5k which is the same price as a 1.2 16v dynamique. My money would go on a 172 FF around about a 53plate.

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
i got a mk1 172 over a ph2 172 because il rather have a car that isnt as common, makes me feel good driving the first ph2 clio sports to, instead of the cosmtic follow ups(exluding cup). also some people may disagree with me big time but imho, the ph2 172 dont look massive differnt from the lower range models. **waits to get kicked in the head** yeh we know the differnce cos we know alot about them but to the avg joey wont know.... where the mk1 172 does look a tad special :)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
i got a mk1 172 over a ph2 172 because il rather have a car that isnt as common, makes me feel good driving the first ph2 clio sports to, instead of the cosmtic follow ups(exluding cup). also some people may disagree with me big time but imho, the ph2 172 dont look massive differnt from the lower range models. **waits to get kicked in the head** yeh we know the differnce cos we know alot about them but to the avg joey wont know.... where the mk1 172 does look a tad special :)

No one's going to kick you in the head matey! You don't goto meets do you???

I have to look twice at a Ph1 to realise it's a 172, but that's mostly because I've not seen 1 for every 10 Ph2 I see.

Anyway, I am thinking I might just take the Ph1. It's not like it's a big difference either way, but the saving will be good for the upcoming months and as you point out, less than Dynamique money (I could sell my Dci for more than a 172ph1.)

But I plan to keep whatever I get next until I can get something really fun (old M3 or new 330d).. Few years either way really.

I am so tempted by TBs aswell, just to make a rare car that bit better. TheJesus have you ever done a 400m with your car ?? I imagine with 3rd stretching to 100+ it would be considerably quicker than the 182s etc (unless they're turbo).

Mountune Tractor
I personally prefer the ph 2 hence the reason I bought one. If you do get a ph 1 then swap the wheels off a ph 1 with wheels off a ph 2, there is one on here and it looks sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I personally prefer the ph 2 hence the reason I bought one. If you do get a ph 1 then swap the wheels off a ph 1 with wheels off a ph 2, there is one on here and it looks sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Think they both look like they came off a pram from the 50's. Would probably buy some lightweights to replace them either way.

Chocolate Bar™
i was in your position, and went for the ph1, purely because i prefer the look, you can pick one up with low miles for over a grand less than a ph2 with similar miles, they're a lot rarer and i actually prefer the seats

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
ph1 = ph-UGLY

ph2 = much better looking. And as for the phase 2's being over weight...... buy a cup ;)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
ph1 = ph-UGLY

ph2 = much better looking. And as for the phase 2's being over weight...... buy a cup and turn into a prune during the summer and a corpse in the winter ;)

Each to his own. Ph1 I think looks good apart from the none colour coded bits and the general rear..... :rolleyes: