ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 turns over won't start

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
The 172 has been parked up for a year. It's ran during this time but the battery went flat and it's stood about 6 months.
Battery is recharged but won't start.

Further investigation. I have no spark or fuel. You don't hear the pump prime up at all.

I've cleaned the 3 black relays in engine bay, even tried new ones.
Cleaned and replaced earth.
Cleaned the tdc

The immobiliser light turns out as normal.
Tried both keys.

Any suggestions???

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
Had the same issues but it was the black relays.
So was going to suggest it.
When I had the issue a new battery was suggested but Can't remember why? Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery? Long shot but worth a try!

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
Have you tried cleaning the connections in the relay sockets?
Sometimes It's more the connection than the relay.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Engine bay fuse box, every single fuse and holder, earth on the loom at the top of the gearbox, tdc wiring, put a jump lead from the engine to an earth point all the usual sort of things.

Just a case of being methodical. And lucky ;)

Could always wire 12v straight to the pump and see if it starts then. Bit rough though!

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Do ph1 have the same immobiliser as the ph2? Have this issue on my cup sometimes. I just hold the interior door lock button down for 5 seconds and it resets and starts.

dan's cast offs.
Make sure you do the main connector in the fuse box under the bonnet as well.

Then once you know everything is ok next step is to check power before and after the relays when they are switching.

172 Cup
Yes tried switch.
Jump lead as earth
Am I right that coil and pump are on same relay?
Correct.
Unplug the feed to the coil pack, check you get 12v there with ignition all the way on, I'm afraid I don't remember which pins are +12v and ground.
Is your pump/coil relay a rectangular one?
I honestly can't hear the pump prime on mine even when it's working, with the bonnet up throttle whine is quite loud too.

and are crank no-start issues really common or are we just having a spate of them?