ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 Nurburgring Crash July 2013 OnBoard GoPro

Craig_B

ClioSport Club Member
  BG 182
Over a year since it happened, but never put the video up to YouTube until this week, thought members would like a view if haven't already.

My first trip to the Nurburgring with group of mates, split the driving and costs, and then gave keys to my car to my mate for couple laps and this happened on his 2nd lap :( both ok though which was main thing. Car was drivable, all be it a steering issue and got us home when the trip finished.

Didn't stop us from going again though, went in his car at the start of August.

Plan to go again next year in my own car again, but keys will be staying in my hand thought out that trip!

http://youtu.be/GimZpu9O6kE

Craig_B

ClioSport Club Member
  BG 182
350z driver indicated to let us pass, you can't see in video cos of the sun, he did stop along side us and ask if we were ok.

Yeah shouldn't of overtaken there, should of waited for better oppurnity. But done now. And can learn from it.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Oops! I bet he felt majorly guilty!

Going for the overtake took him way off the correct line for the corner :(

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Ouch.

I can just imagine the nissan driver giggling to himself as you went into the wall.
Stayed behind for ages... then pass him and crash, lol

He must have felt like a right dick.

Also, why did you block out parts of the conversation? Did you tell him to pass the car? Haha

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
You let your mate drive like that on his second ever ring lap? Rather you than me!

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
I let my mate drive my MPS round. I said anything less than a 16 minute lap and you get stabbed

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
He was properly going for it if that's his second lap. Seemed like he really knew the track before that happened.
The ring hugely punishes even the smallest mistake and it is always sad to see but worse happens here (we are at the ring right now) every day of course.

Glad that it hasn't put you off coming.

172 Ph1
Glad it wasn't fatal !!!
And your here to tell this tale [emoji106]

I had a shaky moment back in 08 - took the corner a bit early - ended up over the chevrons , quite a bum moment .
Not been back since . Said I'd never go again . But May one day once the Bump steer correction kit is fitted .
See how it goes first.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Nasty. I wouldn't let any drive my car around the ring TBH.
I won't drive anyone else's round there. But would happily let certain of my friends drive mine.
Been offering James Ashton our keys all holiday for example but he's declined like I have when he has offered me his (rented) swift.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I won't drive anyone else's round there. But would happily let certain of my friends drive mine.
Been offering James Ashton our keys all holiday for example but he's declined like I have when he has offered me his (rented) swift.

If I was passenger with someone on a ring trip, I would just hire a Suzuki Swift Stage 2 from Rent4Ring for a few laps :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If I was passenger with someone on a ring trip, I would just hire a Suzuki Swift Stage 2 from Rent4Ring for a few laps :)

Yeah thats what james did this trip, nice way of doing it, although a lot more expensive to crash than if I bin our car TBH as he has to pay for barriers where as I dont.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah thats what james did this trip, nice way of doing it, although a lot more expensive to crash than if I bin our car TBH as he has to pay for barriers where as I dont.

I see the damage excess on the swifts is €3,500, so you don't want to run out of talent in one of them!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I see the damage excess on the swifts is €3,500, so you don't want to run out of talent in one of them!

Thats on the SWIFT, the barrier you pay in addition to that, so perfectly possible to walk away from a swift crash with a 20K bill.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Well if your going to do it, you may as well do it properly! Flol!

Lol, only crashed there once personally, 9.5 years ago, but that was 6K for barrier and cleanup etc.

Not keen to have that happen again so I drive steadier now, and I also make sure I am well insured.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
When I went to the ring I saw someone lend their keys to a Clio v6 to a friend, he crashed it just after the cones at the start.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
When I went to the ring I saw someone lend their keys to a Clio v6 to a friend, he crashed it just after the cones at the start.

One time at Werrington, someone stuffed his Impreza, and someone lent him their Evo as a second driver. Stuffed that too.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Yup he was never going to make that with that line and speed together. As you say, learn from your mistakes.

Bet that was gutting though :(. Only good thing is you didn't lose your pride for stuffing it as it was your mate haha ;).

I did shut my eyes as he went for that one I have to say!

What weekend was you out there? I was out there the weekend of July 11th 2013 and there was a fair few bent uk plate cars. One in fact was a 172 cup along with an M3 E36 which had turned into somewhat of a banana.

I went round there like a granny first time out. Was bricking it!

That must have been a really quiet drive home...

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Talk to Matt @ Keith Michaels mate:

Matthew Moody

matthew@keithmichaels.co.uk

0208 329 1153

Feel free to say Chip sent you if he wonders where you heard about it, as they dont seem to openly advertise it much for some reason!

To cover you at the ring it HAS to be an extension to your policy, so you have to insure with them in the first place or they cant offer you the ring cover. Then it costs about 100 ish quid a day at the ring but will depend on circumstances of course.

We were insured last weekend there, so its definitely still a current thing that they offer :)

Had a similar thing happen when I was out there two years ago I had an E30 2 Dr track car all stripped amd stickered up . 1st lap was great second lap a guy sstarted following me in a STi few mins in bearing in mind I was in a 318is he was much quicker I moved over to let him past then bang he spun out in front of me clipping the barrier ripping front of his car off . Ouch