ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 head and 197 cam upgrade in 172cup. How? Worth it?

Johno_c

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Basically as the title says really.

Tried doing a search but can't seem to find anything.

Thinking of replacing the head in my cup as the tappets are noisy, and was thinking on the ph1 head with 197 cams.

Is it worth it? Is it easy enough to do? What's needed other than the obvious?

Thanks in advance John

Lotus Elise
Basically as the title says really.

Tried doing a search but can't seem to find anything.

Thinking of replacing the head in my cup as the tappets are noisy, and was thinking on the ph1 head with 197 cams.

Is it worth it? Is it easy enough to do? What's needed other than the obvious?

Thanks in advance John

Obviously both belt kits, dephaser, you'll need to match your cam cover to the ph1 head, cam seals, cam end plugs, HG. I think that's it but I am hungover.

Johno_c

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Thanks. A little more than I thought then, being in the trade parts won't cost me a great deal. Need to get me a list together of all parts that ill need. And then a how to guide lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Obviously both belt kits, dephaser, you'll need to match your cam cover to the ph1 head, cam seals, cam end plugs, HG. I think that's it but I am hungover.

Why would you not just use the ph1 cam cover?

TBH on standard inlet I dont think there is much point changing to a ph1 head as I dont think the larger exhaust ports will make any real difference without bodies as its more the inlet side that restricts of these engines anyway, so if its only the noisey lifters making you want to swap I would just fit the cams and lifters and not touch the head itself.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
to change it to a PH1 head etc do you not need the inlet, TB and then cable and pedal set up as well?

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Oh right, lot of hassle for imo, given you need to belt it all up again etc just for a few very small gains, given the cost surely it's near the price of an RS2?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Oh right, lot of hassle for imo, given you need to belt it all up again etc just for a few very small gains, given the cost surely it's near the price of an RS2?

But if he needs new lifters, he has to do the belts anyway, so that side of the cost is irrelevant really?

Johno_c

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Why would you not just use the ph1 cam cover?

TBH on standard inlet I dont think there is much point changing to a ph1 head as I dont think the larger exhaust ports will make any real difference without bodies as its more the inlet side that restricts of these engines anyway, so if its only the noisey lifters making you want to swap I would just fit the cams and lifters and not touch the head itself.

It was more the fact my lifters being noisy and thought it might of been an easy fix quick mod to gain a few hp by getting another head minting it up and swap over, more to it than originally thought.

when you say just fit the cams and lifters do you mean std or 197??

Johno_c

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
I mean 197 cams if you are going to get them timed and mapped properly. No point otherwise.

That makes sense. Might get another ph2 head and build up that. Then goto someone on here and get it fitted and timed up.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sorry just seen you have a cup. You could home make something similar for less money. Like my Williams engine has (see my mk1 build thread)

Clio 172 182 197 200
All this secret about timing the cams up..... Its not rocket science. :)

Im happy to loan out the correct machined tools to any member of clio sport. There different to the stock Renault items but it's pretty obvious why and how to address it your self.

172, Tiguan
Changing cams is changing cams. The hassle is the same. Both will need a map afterwards.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
There is nothing at all you can do to an f4r to significantly improve performance without needing a map to suit.

Johno_c

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Needs mapping anyway, it's got a f**king dastek unichip on it which I want off lol