ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ph1 172 vs ph2 172

03 172 cup
im new here and this has probably been answered a hundred times but my mate said that the ph1 172 inc the cups are quicker than the ph2 172 inc the cup.

Hardly new with 72 posts?
Had a few cans?

I've seen fast Ph1's and slow Cups
I've also seen slow ph1's and fast Cups.

For me Aircon has been the decider this week lol

Lionel Richie
cups are the quickest in a straight line and round a track

but for fun value you can't beat a mk1 (phs-quick)

there's nothing in it between all the 172's... cups, ph1, ph2, blue ones, black ones, shiny ones...

they're all the same :)

03 172 cup
i joined last october coz was thinking bout gettin a clio but then didnt come on here for a while and have only had my cup 2 weeks so am new.

looked on parkers and they say a ph1 172 00reg is 0-60 in 7 secs and 138mph top and the 172 cup 03 reg is 0-60 in 6.7 and a 138mph top

They have to make cup's lighter because generally the people that drive them weight more.

The difference in them is tiny you get good cups and good phase 1 172's
The phase 1 172engine are usually better as they don't use the turbo head so usually make more power but the Cups don't have aircon so there some poiwer gained there and they were slightly more.
I'd go for a phase 1 personally but in the phase 2 shell. The phase 1 has the better (IMO) suspension setup and the proper cable throttle body not like the phase 2 and the Cups which have electric ones.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
few simple mods to my cup had me comfortably passing a 172 the other day (yes he was trying as we pulled up for a wee chat!!!)

al

ST on the way...
darrens172cup said:
im new here and this has probably been answered a hundred times but my mate said that the ph1 172 inc the cups are quicker than the ph2 172 inc the cup.

There wasn't a MK2 PH1 172 Cup.

Gaz

Flaming Inferno 225
The Phase 1 and Phase 2 are the same speed, yes the phase 2 is heavier but to compensate for this Renault made the gear box shorter on the Phase 2 so they were the same cos they couldn't have the old car quicker then the new,

Steve2004 said:
The old 172 engine used a better head for more flow the later cars used the same had as the turbo Megan etc engines use.

Also more importantly is the proper throttle cable which is worth more even if the phase 2 had more power.

GT_gaz I'll have to catch you some time kep seing you drive round the village anwya your cars not stock and is a quick one anyway isn't it?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
he he, yeah not bad, think i followed you out of malpas the other week!

VaVa
Sorry Edde but that throttle business is a royal load of b****cks. Does the Cup suffer from having fbw? Does it make it slower? Less easy to adjust on the throttle? I'll let MarkCup/Jon r/ Chris n nic answer that on for you ;)

And a few simple mods has seen my 172 comfortably pass a 172 Cup.... :eek: :boring: :boring: :boring:

When will it ever end!!

:boring: :boring: :boring:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Laingo said:
Sorry Edde but that throttle business is a royal load of b****cks. Does the Cup suffer from having fbw? Does it make it slower? Less easy to adjust on the throttle? I'll let MarkCup/Jon r/ Chris n nic answer that on for you ;)

And a few simple mods has seen my 172 comfortably pass a 172 Cup.... :eek: :boring: :boring: :boring:

When will it ever end!!

:boring: :boring: :boring:

these simple mods hey, might see it past a simple modded ff 172 round the stafford area ;) :cool:

gt_gaz said:
he he, yeah not bad, think i followed you out of malpas the other week!
Why not come to this
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=149497&page=3
Yep I wondered how long you were going to follow me for I was driving to Germany so it would have been interesting.

Laingo - Each to there own I knwo a lot of people who prefere the phase 1 setup and people who modify the ones with drive by wire to a normal throttle bodyies I agree its not by any means bad though.

VaVa
gt_gaz said:
these simple mods hey, might see it past a simple modded ff 172 round the stafford area ;) :cool:

I wasn't having a go at you mate..... more trying to make the point that it's down to individual cars as to which is quicker in my experience. The 172 Cups generally seem the quicker car, but not always.

As I said, I overtook one @ silly speeds (think it's the 8krpm limiter that does it - 125 in 4th lol). Whereas I've struggled to hang on to a 182 FF in a straightline....... down to individual cars for the most part imho.

Oh and Stafford - No chance. Not if my balls were on fire and it was the only place in the country with a working hosepipe. LOL!

I think really important question would be which is faster LHD or RHD :)
Me being right-handed it's faster to change gears with my righthand :p And i have phase 1 172 with alloy bonnet and silver is the fastest colour...