ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 172 Throttle body FIX

ph1 172
After recently purchasing my ph1 172 i've had a number of problems with the high revs/throttle sticking.
It has nothing to do with the spring or the throttle cable, i've tried greasing them but it only fixes the problem for a day or two.
There have been so many posts about this that are completely wrong, even some guy trying to charge to grease ur spring.:nono:

All you need to do is take the throttle body position sensor (TPS) off and tap the circlip in, as this will stop the butterfly moving side to side and catching on the inside of the throttle body.

If anyone needs any help pm me..... Hope this helps:D

AGH the sl*g
Not true matey !!! i have had several in bits and found this but if u tap it too much it goes on to tight and the butterfly just scrubs and sticks permantly. it is infact the spring and spindle that get muck and grime in them therefore creating a jerky/sticky throttle. so infact the fix is to clean and relube. also you are referring to russ and his service is very good for people that may not have a clue what to do.

ph1 172
Not true matey !!! i have had several in bits and found this but if u tap it too much it goes on to tight and the butterfly just scrubs and sticks permantly. it is infact the spring and spindle that get muck and grime in them therefore creating a jerky/sticky throttle. so infact the fix is to clean and relube. also you are referring to russ and his service is very good for people that may not have a clue what to do.

Haha don't tap it too far then, you only need to do it to stop the side to movment of the butterfly.

Look at how many posts there are of people who have oiled/greased the spring and spindle and its only fixed the problem for a few days.

Yeh you need to THOROUGHLY clean it out, i mean, like 3/4 cans of brake cleaner and a good hour or so! before reoiling. use PTFE spray too rthaer than grease as grease traps dirt.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I used silicone spray and thoroughly cleaned mine, after doing it half arsed all the time and getting no where, doing as Danlp6 describes, it fixed it.

PH1 172 Sport
Thanks for the advice but Russ knows whats hes doing and his service isn't as simple as oiling them.

AGH the sl*g
Haha don't tap it too far then, you only need to do it to stop the side to movment of the butterfly.

Look at how many posts there are of people who have oiled/greased the spring and spindle and its only fixed the problem for a few days.

thats because people use wd40 and not a propper lube

53 Clio's & counting
After recently purchasing my ph1 172 i've had a number of problems with the high revs/throttle sticking.
It has nothing to do with the spring or the throttle cable, i've tried greasing them but it only fixes the problem for a day or two.
There have been so many posts about this that are completely wrong, even some guy trying to charge to grease ur spring.:nono:

All you need to do is take the throttle body position sensor (TPS) off and tap the circlip in, as this will stop the butterfly moving side to side and catching on the inside of the throttle body.

excuse me, but offer that as a service, the cost overs my time and the products I use, trust me there is no money making in it, and Iv taken offence to that - I do alot more than just cleaning a spring.

I know the circlip your on about, and that fixed mine for 3 weeks, then the sticking came back.

I have spent 3 years trying to fix the problem, and when I finally do, I post up a thread explaining how to do it, (not trying to charge anyone) but even though I created that thread, I still had 50 PM's a week from people asking me to fix theirs, I thought id offer to do it.

Thanks to Caister and B33fy172 for being nice to me :eek: lol

If you were not talking about me, then I apologise lol

Clio 172 ph2
You can't help some people eh!!

Mine is currently back with the garage that sold it to have a similar problem fixed, on a phase 2 though...Any difference to the above method? (apart from the butterflies are obviously controlled by wire)

Clio 172 ph2

Did it bring up any warning lights? Electical fault for instance?

ph1 172
:eek: Didn't realise this would cause so many issues.

Russ_16v you've even said before in one of your posted that its the side to side movement of the butterfly that causes the sticking problem.
You also said that this cannot be fixed, well it can if you do what ive said.

53 Clio's & counting
:eek: Didn't realise this would cause so many issues.

Russ_16v you've even said before in one of your posted that its the side to side movement of the butterfly that causes the sticking problem.
You also said that this cannot be fixed, well it can if you do what ive said.

No, I said the side by side movement doesnt help and is part of the sticking, as the butterfly sticks, but the reason why it sticks is because of crap getting stuck down the spindle shaft in the t/b itself, moving that circlip is not solving the problem, just another temporary fix, I know this as I tried it!! I never meantioned the circlip as it didnt solve the problem on 4 t/b's I had.

And as iv said before, my guide covers all this, all the tips I do that fixes it, and the many t/b's iv done that have done thousands of miles trouble free. I tested all of this on my car before I did the guide.

Im not on here to argue, or come across funny, but there was no need to post up with accusations saying that all I do is clean a spring and charge someone for it. Every single person who has used my guide has had their problem fixed.

Your prob a nice guy, and im sorry if iv come across a bit strong, but as above I do alot more than clean a spring.

ph1 172
Im not here to argue either mate im just letting people know how to fix a problem.

I've had a brand new throttle body in my hand and there's no side to movement on the spindle.

If you tap the circlip back in so the butterfly is back central in the housing then it won't stick and you won't need to grease anything.

53 Clio's & counting
There shouldnt be any side to side movment on a new t/b, its on old ones it wears, and thats where the problem lies.

Keep ttrying your method, I hope it works for you, but with 4 different t/b's I had at once a while back, I tried moving the circlip like you, and I tried it over 1000 miles on all 4 combined and all 4 times it was only a temperary fix - I thought id fixed it, which is why I kept trying it.

Have you done many miles on it?

Once I washed out an old t/b i couldnt believe the amount of crap that i flushed out of it, imo its no wonder they stick with all that crap, by fully cleaning it and re-oiling with the correct oil, it will stay fine, I know 3 of my t/b's iv done (at no cost) have done over 10,000 miles now still spot on :)

ph1 172
Yeah there's no side to side movement on a new throttle body or grease on them, because the circlip is tight and new.

I know loads of crap get in them but its not enough to stop them working, you would need to take every throttle body off every car if dirt was the problem.

Look at a ph2 they never have this problem because there's not a cable on one side pulling and putting stress on the circlip.

A brand new circlip will stop this problem :D

53 Clio's & counting
Yeah there's no side to side movement on a new throttle body or grease on them, because the circlip is tight and new.

I know loads of crap get in them but its not enough to stop them working, you would need to take every throttle body off every car if dirt was the problem.

Look at a ph2 they never have this problem because there's not a cable on one side pulling and putting stress on the circlip.

A brand new circlip will stop this problem :D

Its not the circlip that causes the movement, its wear in the spindle matey! - a new t/b is nice and tight with no wear, thats why a new one is ok.

The reason why ph2's dont have this problem is the motor that operates them doesnt have sideways movement on it, it operates 100% straight, no sideways force.

You are right that the ph1 cable pulls the spindle about, thats what causes the wear, and lets crap into the spindle shaft either side.

I have tried your method on 4 seperate t/b's and solved the problem for approx 3-4 weeks, then it came back.

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this as we are getting nowhere lol

172 Ph1, 1972 Mini 1
This is a common problem on carbs, hence why their spindles are are normally supported in removable bushes, unfortunately modern 'designers' seem to forget these very simple solutions that used to come naturally to 'engineers'.

The wear is in the housing and / or the shaft and effects concentricity not sideways movement, the sideways movement only occurs due to the bush now being slack but it is the misalignment that causes the issue, that is why tightening the circlip doesnt work for long and will eventually lead to jamming if the throttle is pulled too far in one direction.

Russ's solution is a sensible one as a fix with a good success rate.

The only other options are complete replacement or drill and bush the body with a new shaft.

Knife edging the throttles might help reduce sticking a bit but prob not worth the effort.

ph1 172
Hahaha OMG.....

How can you say that its not the circlip that causes side to side movement???
The circlip is there to hold the spindle tight. If the butterflys not in the middle of the throttlebody it will catch causing the revs to stay high,
that's why blipping the throttle will make them drop cause it make the butterfly snap shut.

If anyone has this problem buy a new 10p circlip and you will be fine, you don't need to cover anything in grease.

If anyones got this problem just buy a 10p circlip and it will solve it end of

PH1 172 Sport
Yes the cir-clip will stop side to side movement in one direction but if the butterfly wants to move towards the end with the cir-clip, the side to side movement will not be stopped. Getting a cir-clip isn't going to fix anything I have been there tried it and after a few weeks it starts sticking again.

The only method that has worked for me is thoroughly cleaning the T/B and then leaving it to soak in a silicone based oil as per Russ' guide.

172 Ph1, 1972 Mini 1
How can you say that its not the circlip that causes side to side movement???
The circlip is there to hold the spindle tight. If the butterflys not in the middle of the throttlebody it will catch causing the revs to stay high,
that's why blipping the throttle will make them drop cause it make the butterfly snap shut.

Id love to know your mechanical background to offer such a blase statement.

Circlips are for retention of components not for location. If you dont believe me get a circlip book and read what it has to say. As for the circlip stopping the side to side movement it can do that but badly and only for a short period of time before is moves or wears away. Its the tolleranced fit of the spindle shaft in the body that stops movement from new not the circlip.

Its wear at the bore of the body that allows play and debris at this point and the spring that causes sticking.

I guess you wont believe us until your f**ks up again then you will be onto Russ' guide to do the job properly.

ph1 172
Circlip book:D hahaha

Take the circlip out take your car for a spin the revs will be even worse, the circlips there to stop the butterfly touching the throttle body housing.

So explain this to me how come this problem doesn't happen to any other cars just ph1 172s?

Take apart throttle bodies on other cars and most of their spindles are treaded with a bolt on the end so they don't come loose.

53 Clio's & counting
Yes, circlip book, not sure whats funny about that?

Matey, your first post came across a bit funny, you dont understand what I do to t/b's, iv had near 5 years of messing about with ph1 t/b's and I keep trying to expain to you iv tried this idea you have, and like all the other fixes it doesnt last long.

The onnly one that works is my guide, which I made after my long time of researching. I put it up for everyone to do free, and I also offer to do this if people dont fancy doing it them selfs, im not hiding anything, my guide is for all to see, and it works every time.

I hope yours stays ok, and that it doesnt stick the throttlr open which happened to me with one of my t/b's when I tried adjusting the circlip.

As said I think we just need to agree to disagree on this

Last edited:
  172 Ph1, 1972 Mini 1
Yes indeed, the people who make circlips make books to tell you all about them, they are not funny at all, actually pretty boring but they do tell you what you need to know about circlips!

If you think the Ph1 is the only car to suffer from stuck throttles your sadly mistaken, its way, way more common than that.

You are correct that a lot of manufacturers secure the throttle spindle with a nut rather than a circlip but this requires the shaft to be mounted in roller bearings or at least bushes, as i said before the design is flawed, it should use a bearing / bush and a seal like most do which would stop all of the issues but they dont.

Clio 172 ph2
My PH2 has this issue, hence why i'm reading this!

Where this guide by the way, sounds like i need ot have a read and have a go

Clio RS 172 ph1
Can you put a link to youre thread, cause i cant find it on the forum about fixing a throttle body beeing stuck on clio RS 172 please !

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Thread resurrection. Is there a guide about?

I can actually move the butterfly flaps in the throttle body side to side, from spindle ends? How i stop that movement, and how do you take the spindle out to clean it.

They r fun these throttle bodies arent they :mask: lol.