ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 172 steering rack

S3, HD Nightster
I was advised by my MOT tester last year that there was wear in my steering rack... and it wouldn't be passable next time round. Well the MOT is coming up and I haven't done anything about it yet. I'm not sure where exactly the wear is, but I know I don't want to replace the whole rack unless I need to. Can you change just the ends?

There's a 2000 172 steering rack on ebay for £60 plus delivery inc 3 months warranty, worth going for?

PH1 172 Sport
Does the rack have movement in it then? You can check by seeing if the steering wheel moves quite allot before the actual wheels do.

Is it the same tester as they hardly ever pick up the same things unless its blindingly obvious.

RB 182 cup
they normally wear the steering rack ends which you can buy seperately 20 quid max each

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
changing the rack is a pain in the ass, could easily turn into a 5 hour job if you have never done one before.

Do the MOT at a different garage, see what they say,

S3, HD Nightster
The main thing I've noticed is a little clunk when I hit full lock... I could try a different tester quite easily actually.