ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PH1 172 shocks...why change in pairs?

PH1 Clio 172
As above really, got a shocker gone on the drivers side rear, leaking all over the place and slamming a good un.
Finding it difficult to get quotes to change them too.
Can these be changed easily, I've never done it and am I safe to use pattern parts or should I use genuine Renault ones...must be standard to keep the car original.
Also, why is it recommended to change them in pairs and not singularly??
​Paul

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Yes they're easy to change, there's a guide on here that you'll be able to follow easy enough.

As far as I'm aware pattern parts are OK, but I'd see how much the Renault items are. When it comes to changing them, always change in pairs due to the way in which it could affect the handling of the car. Shocks deteriorate over time, so a new unit will be stiffer than an old (but still "ok") unit.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
I'm sure when I bought mine, the OEM Cup units are only about £40 a side.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Change in pairs because the wear over time will effect both & It makes sense to do them why you have your tools out. Having a brand new damper on one side compared to an aged one on the other side will effect handling as the damping efficiency will be different.

Same as changing springs.

330i. E30 Touring.
Pair is less than £100 and 20 minutes work. No reason not to do them in pairs really.