ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 172 idle issues with video + pics

02' PH1 172
I seemed to have solved my misfire and power issues after cleaning the TB and helicoiling the stripped intake mani bolts, but my idle issues have gotten worse.

So the issue is that at startup it just wants to die, but is ok once warm.

When warm and driving around, the new idle position isnt at 750rpm as it has always been, but will fluctuate at sitting at about 1200rpm and 2200rpm. Generally it just sits on either of these two.

Today it will generally not stay in one place, as you will see in the following vids:

So from research, I think it may be one of the following..

The ICV pictured here:

IMG_0174.jpg

or the TPS here:

IMG_0173.jpg

Is there also a sensor under the pedal that could be causing this?

Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated :)

... and I am very well aware that my airbag and serv lights are on.. damn side bag deployed after a very slight runoff at a recent open trackday :)

Last edited by a moderator:
  clio 172 , clio 4
This Idle valve is breakdown.But I found that it saw the first video(Thortle is teases )
First you will buy new Idle valve and after control

02' PH1 172
are you saying that I should replace the ICV and if that doesnt work then what about controll??

Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
Personaly i'd try to clean the icv first, take it off, spray some wd40 in it and then try and clean it out with a cotton bud or something, thats what i did with mine, got loads of oil and gunk out of it, helped a bit but mine wasnt anywhere near as bad as yours from the looks of it, would just die occasionally

02' PH1 172
Did cleaning it help to the point that you didnt have to replace it? Damn thing is riveted in, not going to be easy to clean it. Do you know if they are generic over the range?

02' PH1 172
mad conversations with myself up in here :)

well, I cleaned it, it made a slight difference for the better, but looks like I am going to have to get another one. Got quoted around £190 for it here :(

2004 1.5 DCi 80 Dyna
£190 just for the ICV valve? I got one for my old clio (2001 Si) and it cost about £30 new but non branded off ebay.

Oh and I would have used Carb cleaner to clean it, not WD40.

02' PH1 172
used carb cleaner and then wd-40 after.. back to its old tricks already :(

Yep, dealers ripping me a new one, and dont have the luxury of using ebay in SA

02' PH1 172
I dont get it, I put pics, video's and describe things as best I can, and no one is interested or even replies to any of my threads, and I genuinely need help and guidance badly. Am I doing something wrong?

Mk1 Clio F4R'd
How well did you clean your TB? because when i did mine, i pretty much used a full tin of carb cleaner, especially around the spring, then greased it up, what grease did you use?

Is there any air leeks? it seems like it wants to idle, but then thinks its going to stall. I'm no expert, i'm sorry, just speaking from experience from mine.

02' PH1 172
Ye I cleaned it in the same way, I used almost a full bottle of carb cleaner and then lubed it with some Q-20.

I cant seem to find any leaks anywhere.

It does ilde, but its all over, at 2k then at 1.2k then at 3k and most times i have to blip the throttle to get it to come down to a normallish idle position. Man your input is greatly appreciated!

02' PH1 172
belts were changed, tho there always has been a slight idle problem, but only really when sitting in traffic, but pretty much the same problem. Its just now permanent. Had belts, oil and filter changed, drove about 3000km, had a detail done, they got water in the sparks, replaced the sparks and dried out the wells, then a week later, speedo sensor went, replaced then a week later misfring, replaced leads with MSD's, all good, then a week or so later this problem that I have now. Oh and in between, ran off a trackday and deployed passenger airbag, so lights on the dash + serv light on, airbag has its ass out, and airbag ecu need replacing

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
I have had many idling problems with my ph1 172 and the best fix overall was a replacement throttle body (and replacement cable). There isn't a sensor under the pedal on ph1's. I tried three second hand TBs before I got a good one and it's made a massive difference in terms of idle and smoothness. If the ICV is malfunctioning the car will stall. If it revs higher than it should it is the TB or an air leak on the manifold. For rough idling I fixed it by changing the lamdba (oxygen) sensor on the exhaust. TPS seem to me to be bullet proof so not a likely problem on a ph1. I'd bet the issue is your TB - they need to feel really smooth via the pedal.

02' PH1 172
Damn, new TB is going to cost a fortune. Would that be an air leak on the intake mf or the exhaust mf?
Was your idle problem the same as mine? thanks dude

172/1.2/E30
to check for air leaks, you could spray some brake cleaner on the inlet! manifold and check if the idle gets better. but personally i would check the TB and TB cable!

02' PH1 172
Ah ok, thats a pretty good way to see if its leaking thanks :)
I have cleaned the TB so not really sure what I should look out for on the cable.. signs of wear?

Mk1 Clio F4R'd
Dont know is Q-20 is causing the problem, it sounds like another WD-40 which doesnt work on the throttle body. Clean it again, then grease it up with white grease?

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
I was meaning second hand TBs - hell don't buy new, they cost loads. Get in touch with a scrap dealer and order a few (the Clio one is shared by some Megane models - I paid £10 for the one that eventually worked properly and it came off a Megane, it is same part number).

No easy way to tell if the cable is at fault other than by replacing it. I have had what feels like super smooth cables, but the car revs won't drop back properly, then replaced the cable and it's all sorted! In my experience the cables must be the genuine Renualt part to work properly. They don't last all that long, but are easy to replace.

02' PH1 172
I was meaning second hand TBs - hell don't buy new, they cost loads. Get in touch with a scrap dealer and order a few (the Clio one is shared by some Megane models - I paid £10 for the one that eventually worked properly and it came off a Megane, it is same part number).

No easy way to tell if the cable is at fault other than by replacing it. I have had what feels like super smooth cables, but the car revs won't drop back properly, then replaced the cable and it's all sorted! In my experience the cables must be the genuine Renualt part to work properly. They don't last all that long, but are easy to replace.

Haha, I wish I had the luxury of scrappers. There have probably been about 10 sports in my province ever, so scrappers is never really an option, its either fix it or buy new, and normally wait 21 day min for it to arrive from france thru dealers.

Do you by any chance have the part numbers? because I might get lucky and find one that was on one of those megs.. do u know what the meg model is?

Dont know is Q-20 is causing the problem, it sounds like another WD-40 which doesnt work on the throttle body. Clean it again, then grease it up with white grease?
ye it is another wd-40. What is white grease and should it go in the hinges and the spring, or a diff lube for each one? I'll give the whole thing a clean again.

Thanks dudes

Mk1 Clio F4R'd
White grease is just better for things like springs on throttle bodies. Theres a guide on here.

Go into you motor factors if you have one, if not, order white grease or similar for delivery. You want to clean the flat hinges on the inside and outside until you see no dirt, and again same with the spring, you should be able to see that it moves a lot more freely and the mainly thing, smoothly. Grease it up, wipe away the excess grease on the hinges, then grease the spring area too until its smooth. WD-40 and the like is pointless with throttle bodies, you want the metal areas greased up and i dont think WD-40 does that

02' PH1 172
White grease is just better for things like springs on throttle bodies. Theres a guide on here.

Go into you motor factors if you have one, if not, order white grease or similar for delivery. You want to clean the flat hinges on the inside and outside until you see no dirt, and again same with the spring, you should be able to see that it moves a lot more freely and the mainly thing, smoothly. Grease it up, wipe away the excess grease on the hinges, then grease the spring area too until its smooth. WD-40 and the like is pointless with throttle bodies, you want the metal areas greased up and i dont think WD-40 does that

K its super clean at the moment, made sure of that when I followed that same guide it, so will get hold of some white grease and get it in there and hopefully, it sort my problem out.. thanks man