ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 172/Cup/ PH2 172 Opinions

320d
A year after selling my ph1 172 the Clio bug has bitten again.

I've got a budget of up to around £2500 but its always a bit flexible if the right car comes available.

Basically I've been looking at ph1's and cups. I'm finding a nice well maintained ph1 hard to find so its looking like I will be getting a cup.

What are ph2's like, are they really that much worse than a ph1 or a cup. I've heard all of the runt of the litter etc comments before but are they really worth discounting?

Opinions please, and if anybody knows of a car that may be for sale now or soon let me know. As soon as my mx5 is sold I'll be buying a Clio so a couple of weeks max.

Brett

Disastra Coupe
Unfortunately i've never had a drive of the other two. My ph2 172 to me seems like the ideal daily of the bunch. Got the toy's, got the nicer interior. Still got the engine and although perhaps not as good handling as the Cup it still nowhere near bad. Plus a bit more discreet to the un-trained eye.

That's how i saw it when after an RS anyway. Sorry i can't be of more help.

GTiR 394bhp
I used to have a Ph1 totally standard, even had the alu bonnet.I sold it to my brother as I needed something bigger once my daughter came along and have regretted it ever since.Finding I need a bigger car less and less now so am once again looking at Clios, but this time it will be a 172 cup which will also be left standard(I have a forged engine Pulsar with cage/coilovers/LSD/custom gearbox etc so don't want to mod another car).
Just need to find a lowish mileage standard cup now which isn't too far away from me in Chesterfield, preferably taking my Laguna dci in part ex.

Clio 197
i haven't driven a ph1 however my cup gives me plenty of smiles even if it doesn't have the toys , 35+ mpg all day long too

172 Cup
It all depends on what you really want the car for and what you want from it i suppose mate.

Ph2 172's can be had for very good money these days and you get alot of car for your money imo, very nice day to day drivers with quite alot of toys on with a good amount of comfort, they are also quick and handle well when you want it to be.

I have a cup and tbh thats what i would recommend you to get IF you can live without your creature comforts, they are still quite comfortable mind, but with the added bonus of it being that bit sharper through the bends and in a straight line, alittle bit rarer and a bit more of a head turner too!

hope thats of some help to you ;)

Stripped yozza'd cup
I've driven a ph1 and a cup. I bought the cup, then thought maybe I should get a ph1 instead, but quickly got over that. I'd buy a cup again given the choice. I don't miss the gadgets. I think the ultimate compromise is the cup with air con, but they don't pop up often.

My neighbour has a gorgeous sunflower ph1 for sale though. If I had the money, I'd buy it today.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
They're all the same car... None of them are miles apart and the pace on the road is equal with them all. At the end of the day and despite what some people say I think you would be very pressed to tell which one you were in if you didn't know.

Just get the one in the best condition....