ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ph1 172 battery/starting probelm

02' PH1 172
Sup guys.. having a huge spell of bad luck and hoping one of you guys might have a solution for my problem..

So on monday, i fixed my front fog lights and stuck some led's in for the park lights. car stood for the rest of the day up until last night. Was about to go to a mates house, packed the car and just wanted to make sure that the lights were still working.

So i put the driving lights on, then the front fogs and then the brights, this is all while the car is still off. Then i put the hazards on to make sure everything was working and i noticed that the driving lights started to dim a bit. All this only took like a minute or two.

So i turned everything off and tried to start the car, but no love, seemed like the bat was flat, lights wouldnt go on, but the dash lights would go on?? Tried to jump start it, seemed like the bat was getting some charge bcuz i could turn the headlights on but the car would just not start?? it turns over but just wont start??

So checked the bat and the date on it was 2004, so thought that it was prob long overdue for a replacement, so bought a brand new one... and guess what?? i still have the same problem, got power, just will not start..
all the lights on the dash are as per normal, the only thing thats odd is the clock on the dash is flashing all the time??

help please

Last edited:
  Clio Sport 1.2 16v
silly question have you tried resetting your clock after u put a new battery in? mine did that when i replaced the battery the other day but its now stopped flashing cos i changed the time.

mines doing a similar prob, might be a immobiliser prob, put your key in and turn the key all the way with out starting it, so all the lights on the dash come on and leave it for 5 mins, then turn it back and try and start it.

also try locking the car with the key and not the button on the key fob, so manually lock it for a hour or 2 and then try starting, it will kinda of help work out if its your immobiliser/alarm or ignition problem

Clio Sport 1.2 16v
also some one posted in my thread about pressing the button on the renault keyfob when u try to start the car, i think it worked on mine, but i need to try it in the morning or something.

if its keyfob related ive found some stuff on reprogramming your keyfob that might work too, ive tried it on my car but just gonna see in the morning or maybe in a few more hours if it starts ok or not, also im seeking info from renault via my contacts to see what they think, so i'll post up for ya as it sounds like a similar prob

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
When I changed my battery I accidently knocked the fuel cut off switch (big red rubber button) so when I came to start it it would turn over but would not start. Try pressing the red ruber button... its a long shot I know.

Is the car fueling? (fuel getting into the cyclinders?)

02' PH1 172
I did the exact same thing... hit that red butrton aswel, but i have pushed it about twenty times and its not making any diff... im not sure if the car is fueling tho, because i cant seem to smell any feul when the engine should be flooding from me trying to get it started... how els can i check??

@ ollyclio - cant seem to reply to your pm for some reason, so here is my reply:

... will give it a try when i get home tonight. i also only have one key for the car, so i will use the same method you used to do everything. only other thing is that i have an aftermarket alarm system, but i have turned it off, so that might help. mine is a 2001 ph1 172. thanks for all the help man :)

Clio Sport 1.2 16v
http://www.infotech.renault.com

was pointed to this website from my renault contact, i think you have to make something up to register on the independent repairer bit, ive not had a look yet as i cant access my email at work but will look later. He said it was ment to be pretty good for finding out info and faults, etc etc.
he also said the battery in the renault key in mine could be causing the prob.

did you try locking the car manually and leaving it??

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
I did the exact same thing... hit that red butrton aswel, but i have pushed it about twenty times and its not making any diff... im not sure if the car is fueling tho, because i cant seem to smell any feul when the engine should be flooding from me trying to get it started... how els can i check??

@ ollyclio - cant seem to reply to your pm for some reason, so here is my reply:

... will give it a try when i get home tonight. i also only have one key for the car, so i will use the same method you used to do everything. only other thing is that i have an aftermarket alarm system, but i have turned it off, so that might help. mine is a 2001 ph1 172. thanks for all the help man :)

In fact if I remember correctly, I had to buy a new fuel cut off switch because some how the internals got damaged.

I removed the switch by un plugging it and bridged the connection with a wire and it started first time!

You should be able to smell un-burn't fuel coming out the exhaust and if you can't i bet its something to do with that switch! I just have a hunch.

Try bridging the connection with a wire it worked for me while a waited for delievery of a new switch.

02' PH1 172
@ollyclio..dude the chances of getting registered on that site are almost non existant.. its a fat process you have to go thru

02' PH1 172
im guessing that it it was a problem with the key or immobiliser that the dash light would be flashing all the time?? cuz i have had a problem with the key before and thats when the dash light just constantly flashed, but mines not flashing at all?

02' PH1 172
so got it fixed. blew some fuses and circuts apparently.. went fine for the last two days and now the bat is dead again and even before it ran fully flat, when i turned the ignition on, the dash makes a very funny ticking sort of sound, almost like when you do that quick diagnostics thing?? i give up. this car is gonna make me lose the plot