ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph-Quick Rally Car Build

Clio 220 lpg
At the moment I'm running Trophy suspension seam strong and the springs are progresive which works well. my other suspension is Leda.

RB 182 Cup
Another update

Hi!

Another small update as I worked on the car on bank holiday Monday...

Got started by refitting the handbrake, making the cable look like it was doing something, to satisfy MOT testers and scrutineers. Then I fitted the hydraulic handbrake kit behind the original:

DSCF0872.jpg

Then fitted the tailgate springs. Needed to remove the rear bumper to do this, but pleased with the neat result!:

DSCF0873.jpg

Next task was to remove the air box (will be refitted), battery (going in the boot), ECU anti-theft shield and bracket (in the bin), ABS wiring (for sale soon), and then remount the ECU on the inner wing.

DSCF0874.jpg

Over the next bank holiday I plan to remove the ABS pump and all the original brake pipes, and then re do them. Also have to mount the battery and its box in the boot, make new battery cables to the master switch (in the dash) and then into the engine bay to join up with the standard battery cable.

Also removed the carbon canister. For those that have done the same, what do you do with this pipe? Blank it off, or leave it to vent? I think its a breather from the rocker cover?

DSCF0876.jpg

The pipe from the tank, I have cut short, letting it vent near the tank.

Also, while I'm after a bit of help, I have procured a Samco 90 degree elbow that I was going to use when I refit the airbox. On a Ph1, what have others done withe the pipe that goes to the air idle valve?

I'd also like to thank Burp for his excellent project thread, particularly the sections on removing ABS.
icon14.gif

Lionel Richie
you have to block that pipe off otherwise the engine will idle at 3000rpm (sucks in air via the plenum from memory)

RB 182 Cup
At the moment I'm running Trophy suspension seam strong and the springs are progresive which works well. my other suspension is Leda.

I thought about Trophy suspension, but ruled it out when I saw the cost! Looks like its working well for you...

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• LeapingClio.jpg
    LeapingClio.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,041
  Clio 220 lpg
I thought about Trophy suspension, but ruled it out when I saw the cost! Looks like its working well for you...

attachment.jpg
Think that was leda in that picture:approve:
Speak to black art desighn suspension they had all the kit for 172 and he was the main man at Leda before they changed hands.

RB 182 Cup
Think that was leda in that picture:approve:
Speak to black art desighn suspension they had all the kit for 172 and he was the main man at Leda before they changed hands.

Looked at their website, and its all a bit rich for my blood. Good quality kit though.

I have sent my shocks to a guy from my motor club, who used to work for Ohlins and Avo. He is going to see if he can re build the inserts I have, and if he can't he'll let me know if they are any good.

Thanks for the advice. :)

Last edited:
  172 Race Car
Cheers Burp! Neat little solution... I'll be nicking that idea too then ;)
You wont be the first or the last that uses one of my ideas. Glad to be of help.

You should come up to our rolling road day on the 30th to see what the old girl is churning out

RB 182 Cup
Another little update:

We had an open day at work on the 30th, and had a mobile rolling road booked for the day, so wanted to get the Clio to the point where it would run so that I could get it on the rollers...

Firstly I modified Burps idea for the air idle valve and bought a little breather filter off the bay. Its supposed to be for a mini moto, but works well enough. I didn't fancy running a length of hose to mount the filter elsewhere, so took the air idle valve off, turned it upside down and fitted the filter directly to the inlet:

DSCF0937.jpg

Next up, get the battery box mounted in the boot and make up new battery cables:

DSCF0942.jpg

Got it running just in time to get it on the rollers as the last car of the day. And the result:

DSCF0944.jpg

I was a little dissapointed in the results, but it was VERY hot that day (inlet temp is at the bottom of the graph at 46 degrees!). The engine is standard except for an RS Tuner Gp N remap, an ITG filter in the standard Ph1 air box and a prospeed exhaust. Desperatly trying to find a decat at a reasonable price, which should help.

Spent all day yesterday on the car, and got on well.

Firstly I ripped out all the brake lines, ABS pump and ABS sensor wiring.

DSCF0939.jpg

Gone!

Then started the mind numbingly boring job of making brake lines up. Did the front lines and fitted the braided flexis, and started the rear lines too. Got as far as the brake bias valve, then ran out of copper pipe.

Looks a bit tidier now too:

DSCF0938.jpg

DSCF0941.jpg

Placing another order with Rally Design, which I hope will be the last one. Also received my Brembo Max brake discs, stud conversion kit, K-tec gpN engine mount kit, and stainless fuel hose too, so plenty more still to do when the brake lines are done!

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Nice work mate, was your RR result from the fly or wheels?

With that much space in the bay you could route your airbox like my old PH1 track car

DSC05526.jpg

James

RB 182 Cup
Cheers guys.

Graph shows power at the fly. Would have beenchuffed to bits if that was at the wheels! ;) Might have to try and get along to the next Powerstation rolling road day.

Great work on the isc valve filter, nice idea turning it upside down.

What bias valve do you have?

I'll let you have copy that idea if you want then, as I've nicked so many off you! ;)

I have a Compbrake one, so I'm hoping that its not the same as yours, so that I don't get the same problems as yours. If I do, I might just fit a line limiter like the early clios have. Also, I noticed that on the Compbrake bias valve, its not marked with in and out, but on my dads Tilton (Which looks like what Compbrake copied) there is an in / out marking. I'll let you know which is which if you want.

172 Race Car
Yes please, any help with this problem would be great. Ive not looked into it much yet as its a while before my next trackday.

I noticed they dont have an in and out marked on the valve, was going to ring them to find out if it mattered. Might have a go at swapping them to see if it makes any difference.

I was planning to look into getting some kind of load valve, was going to have a rumage at a mates breakers when I had time.

It will be a shame if you get the same problems as me, altho if yours is a rally car it might be an advantage

RB 182 Cup
Thread from the dead! ;)

Been ages since my last update, and I have been toiling away as and when I can. Work is busy at the moment, so I have been working 6 day weeks at the garage, so not wanting to spend my 1 day off at work! Good news is I've got some stuff done on evenings and a few hours grabbed here and there. I am off today though, so will spend tomorrow on the car. Woo!

Few pics of work now completed:

DSCF1051.jpg

Battery master switch now completely wired in and now cuts the engine. I've also fitted an overide switch (top of the panel) incase the cut out switch fails on an event.

DSCF1052.jpg

DSCF1049.jpg

The rear brakes are all done, and bled through. No leaks, which is a bonus! ;)

DSCF1054.jpg

Engine bay coming togeather.

DSCF1048.jpg

Drivers foot plate fitted. Not the neatest, but didn't want to fit a false floor. The rest of the floor on both sides has been fitted with clear grip tape, both to be non slip and to protect the paint underneath. Really pleased with how it looks. :)

DSCF1055.jpg

Tow eye and decal on. This is actually a requirement, and not done for show!

DSCF1057.jpg

As it stands at the moment.

Other jobs completed... Bought a new set of Titon harnesses in black, and fitted. I'm pretty much ready for an MOT now. Might get that done next week. Made up templates and cut new door cards. Made from FlexiFoam board thats normally used for signage. Just as light as carbon, but a hundreth of the price. I've had the windows taken out and clear security film applied for FIA and MSA regulations. Decided to go this route rather than fitting perspex windows as they scratch really easily, and the sliders leak!

I had a re think on the suspension, got a good price for a quantity, and tried to arrange a group buy for Bilstein coilovers. The GB nearly didn't happen but me and Martin_172 went for it, and saved loads on the kit. Awesome quality, and really looking forward to getting them on. Need to buy a few more bits first: Poly bushes for the wishbones, solid top mounts, new bottom ball joints and track rod ends, then I can do a corner at a time and finish it as I go.

DSCF1145.jpg

Also won a 182 exhaust manifold, and coupled with a decat / link pipe, it'll hopefully relinquish a few more horses.

Tomorrows tasks will be to finish the dash wiring, so that I can get the dash top on for good. Also want to fit the lines for the plumbed in fire extinguisher, so that its another thing I can cross off my list. Also think I am going to have to move the hand held extinguisher so that my new helmet box fits. :( Finally, if I have time, I need to start running the braided stainless steel fuel lines down the inside of the car, and fit the FIA fuel sampling drain. Then get it MOT'd and probably taxed for the start of September to run up a few road miles to make sure its not going to fall to bits the first time I get it on a stage! In that vain, I have booked a shake down test with the motor club, hence the push to get it back on the road. Oh, and the first proper event will be the Brean stages rally in February. Can't wait! :D

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Looks good mate wouldnt mind doing this kind of thing myself but it jst the expence thats a pain tho lol.

Did you sell the interior in the end?

RB 182 Cup
Did you sell the interior in the end?

Most of it. I've still got most of the plastics, the carpet, the parcel shelf & seatbelts.

Don't let a lack of experience stop you. How else will anyone learn?! There are plenty of people on here that will give advise and help. :)

Combo
Great project!

Can't wait to see this finished.

I like the graphics, only becuase it's a rally car, any other type of car wouldn't pull it off.

172 Race Car
Great update mate, its coming together and looking very tidy.

Id be well up for coming down to see you at Brean Stages.

Im gonna pinch your idea for the isc valve I think, quite a neat solution :D

Last edited:
  RB 182 Cup
Over a month and no update. :eek:

Been busy doing bits and pieces since my last update. Nothing very exciting, so not many pics. I also spent the day on the car today. Had a big long list of things I wanted to do, including running the fuel lines through the cay in stainless overbraided hose. Took all day just to do this, and fit the fuel drain. :( Pleased with it though, as I made sure it looks good.

DSCF1224.jpg

DSCF1223.jpg

Previously I finished off the dash wiring, and put the dash top back on. Again, really pleased with this. I might of said before, but I don't like cars with no dashboards, hence retaining mine. However, the cage goes through it and I wanted to make it look as professional as possible. What do you reckon?

DSCF1226.jpg

DSCF1227.jpg

Also moved the hand held extinguisher so that my new helmet box would be in a better location. Not an ideal location in the cab, but no where else to put it so its accessable. Going to get another clip for it as Rally Design only supply one. :mad:

DSCF1225.jpg

Handheld bracket in the foreground, and the seats out as I was in the middle of fitting the fuel lines when I took the photo.

Also put the car through an MOT, and it failed. Both rear shocks leaking, but thats ok as I have the Billies to go on.

I did get carried away on K-tecs website last weekend and ordered their solid top mounts, Carbone Lorainne RC-6 pads, and a poly bush set for the front wishbones. :eek: Because of this fiscal exuberence I now have all the components for the suspension and brakes. Just got to find time to fit them!

clio v6, replica, pickup
Wow I didn't realist you were doing this? Any chance I can cone take a look dome time an you gonna come get these winders? LOL

RB 182 Cup
Wow I didn't realist you were doing this? Any chance I can cone take a look dome time an you gonna come get these winders? LOL

No probs! I'll PM you details.

wondered where you had got to. Good progresss

Yeah tell me about it! :( Been working 6 day weeks this month, and really not wanting to spend my day off at work, working on the car.

Not that I'm moaning about having use of a workshop mind! :clown:

You sorted your brakes yet?

RB 182 Cup
Yeah, not that it will ever get used...

I won't ever be doing any FIA events, and MSA scrutineers don't have on site fuel testing. To get it log booked, it now needs a drain, so I have to spend £110. :cry:

172 Race Car
I just sold a cup setup, didnt realise you were after one.

Volvo/Laguna bits are cheaper and easier to source

Clio II 1,5 dci
Gute Arbeit, Kumpel, ich bin gespannt, mehr davon!

Dies ist the good stuff
[quote = Wheel Nuts; 5741737]
DSCF1145.jpg

[/ Quote]
c014.gif

RB 182 Cup
On a side note, I decided to do something to a domain that I have owned for a while.

I have turned all of my posts in this thread into a blog. This can be found at www.lead-foot.co.uk. Please take a look and let me know what you think. It's a work in progress, and the gallery doesn't work yet. If you have been following this thread there will be nothing new there, but I wanted to document the build, and in the future the events I do in the car, in one place.

Any comments welcome. :)