ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Performance question

182 FF
I've been thinking of saving a bit of money and going down to ktec for the cam package that they offer along with a panel filter and matched inlets.

im aware of the gains in BHP but I was wondering if anyone has had this done and would you say it was worth it in terms of actual noticeable performance?

My thoughts are, yes it will be awesome and a gain is a gain BUT, will 20 BHP extra really make all the difference?

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
I have matched inlets 438 cams and a few other bits and it makes quite a bit of difference

182 FF
Thanks Kyle! That's what I needed to hear, there's loads of talk about the topic but little on I people's experience on the transformation of the car after the work has been done. I'm happy spending £1500 if It makes a noticeable difference compared to standard but I wasn't sure how much difference the small amount of BHP makes lol
Hopefully come may / June ill have enough to get booked in, looks like you have had a good gain on your 172!

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
I spoke to someone who had 438's and mapped and didn't notice that much of a difference, it's a lot of cash for 15 or 20 bhp. If your belts are due then yeah worth it more then IMO

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Its a lot of money u wont notice a diffrence like jeez but the engine is a lot more livlier its noticeably quicker compared to standard with cams ull notice it better in the mid range more than anything

Lotus Elise
I didnt have the KTEC package but BTMs. I think the cams really brought the engine alive and made it suit the chassis balance more. With my chassis mods the engine was the only part that let the overall driving experience down, cams changed that for my car. I loved it.

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
I spoke to someone who had 438's and mapped and didn't notice that much of a difference, it's a lot of cash for 15 or 20 bhp. If your belts are due then yeah worth it more then IMO

Really?? Because the other week you were going on about how much more superior they were than a 200bhp RS2 car?

RS Clio 182
in my opinion which is not worth a lot on here I know....you may as well leave the car as is? they are fruity as standard....if you want more power then sell up and buy a forced induction car where you can spend sub £500 on a simple remap and boost power by 40-60bhp....£1500 or there abouts for a few BHP and a "livlier mid-range" is a waste of money....like I said just my opinion :quiet:

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Russler, your logic is flawless unless someone is particularly attached to their clio or loves how it drives and hence doesn't want a different car that is faster but they don't like it as much or don't like how it drives as much.

clio 182 sport

Made a big differnece on my car ........ Very happy with the results.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Russler, your logic is flawless unless someone is particularly attached to their clio or loves how it drives and hence doesn't want a different car that is faster but they don't like it as much or don't like how it drives as much.

+1

I think i'd rather be in a 200bhp 172 than a 260bhp megane

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
+1

I think i'd rather be in a 200bhp 172 than a 260bhp megane

Defo matey so would i my mates 225 is 260 BHP and he much prefers my clio when he drives it, Hes seriously thinking of chopping in the megane for another clio

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I think its easy for people to get seduced into other cars (zlet corsa etc) by their straightline pace, and then end up missing the way that the clio drives and they have been taking for granted.

Its one of those "dont know what you have got till its gone" scenarios really, while you have the handling but not the pace its the pace that seems important, but when you swap one for the other by changing car, you realise all the things you loved about the clio in the first place, and thats when 15-20bhp for 2K or whatever actually starts to make sense. Cause its not just 15-20bhp, its 15-20bhp plus not having to change any of the things that you do like about the car for things you dont like will happen when swapping cars.

225 Cup & Williams
Straight line blast I'd rather be in my 270 bhp megane but for out and out pure fun on either track or a good B road the Clio wins hands down.

I very nearly cammed my 172 when I had it but decided to go forced induction and bought the megane.

MK1 Mexico, Clio 172
Just wondering, i've got a stripped Clio and AST II suspension and i love the car on the bends but get a bit frustrated on track when i'm up someones arse on the bends then on the straights they pull away a bit and then it's repeat on the next bend. I actually ended up holding back on the straights and letting them get ahead. Would this give me the oomph to get round them?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Just wondering, i've got a stripped Clio and AST II suspension and i love the car on the bends but get a bit frustrated on track when i'm up someones arse on the bends then on the straights they pull away a bit and then it's repeat on the next bend. I actually ended up holding back on the straights and letting them get ahead. Would this give me the oomph to get round them?

If you are talking about people with enough more power than you to pull away from you currently then the best that this is likely to do is allow you to stay welded to their arse rather than them pull away TBH.

That said though, if you hang back going into the bend to deliberately open a bit of a gap then close it down massively as you get to the apex you can get past faster cars on the way out, thats the way I used to do it in my mk1 clio when it was very low powered, but its not really perfect trackday etiquette so do so only where its very safe to do or you could get in trouble.

If you want to be able to overtake people easily on the straights who are quicker than you are at the moment then you are going to need a turbo or at least a set of bodies realistically.

HBT 172 Cup
I think its easy for people to get seduced into other cars (zlet corsa etc) by their straightline pace, and then end up missing the way that the clio drives and they have been taking for granted.

Its one of those "dont know what you have got till its gone" scenarios really, while you have the handling but not the pace its the pace that seems important, but when you swap one for the other by changing car, you realise all the things you loved about the clio in the first place, and thats when 15-20bhp for 2K or whatever actually starts to make sense. Cause its not just 15-20bhp, its 15-20bhp plus not having to change any of the things that you do like about the car for things you dont like will happen when swapping cars.

I quite like that reasoning. Nail and head!