ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

People running MOTUL 5w 40

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
8000 km ago I had my last service and decided to move on from the elf 5w 40 to motul 300v power. problem is, last night I left the car for 5 mins standing tilted to the right near some ditch, and when got back in and ignition on, the "service" light was on and the "oil------" indicator on the trip computer was flashing.
moved the car to a flat surface couple of yards ahead and after 1-2 mins the warnings went away. after a 30 km trip back home, parked the car near the sidewalk, got back in, ignition on and the "service" and "oil-----" warnings came on again (this time very slightly tilted to the right). wasn't able to check the dipstick the engine being hot and waited till this mornin'
so as expected the level was close to minimal on the stick, luckily I had some 700-800 ml of motul left and got it somewhere between medium and max.
question is, when using elf in the past I never had to top out during service intervals (I'm doing all the filters + oil change every 10 000 km~6k miles) and haven't driven the car in a different manner in the past 8000 km since the last service.
Has someone else experienced oil consumption when using motul?

p.s: car is 84 000 km on the clock atm

Cheers!

Also interested in this as i've got 300v for my next oil change (though I have just done one and used silkolene pro s so I cant tell you my experience with 300v yet)
Technically the 300v should last longer cos it says it suffers 0% shear loss which means it stays in grade so wont thin and burn away.
I take it you've took the undertray off and had a good look for leaks? Would be my first point of call tbh.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
looked under the car and if I had lost about a liter it would be visible somehow. talked to a guy an hour ago which went from elf to motul in his 197 and he said that the first time the car consumed oil, but the next oil change it came back to normal. maybe it's because the new oil mixed with some of the remaining elf and somehow affected its properties. so the next oil change I'm gonna go with motul and see if something changes, if not, I'll jump back to elf again

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
update on this:
checked the oil today and it seems like it drank yet another 3-400 ml since the last check ~1000 km ago.
so in 8000 km it drank about a liter and the last 1000 about 3-400 ml. this is strange because the oil looks good (color wise)
I'm going to have it serviced in a week or so and at the moment I have NO IDEA what to do. I won't be very happy if I'll use 300v power once again and get oil consumption, but neither swapping back to elf seems nice as I don't wanna mess with different oil at each service.
so... help?!

monaco 172
mine seems to burn oil.

my combat for it was to buy the cheapest oil so i can service it every 3000 miles and not have to worry about topping it up. Carlube tripple r 5 w40 costs me 21 quid for 5 litres with trade discount. So about half the price as the "good oils" so it gets changed more regular and doesnt cost me anymore money.

DMS

A thirsty 172
I've got Motul 300v 5w40 fully synthetic in mine at the moment, and TBH I doubt I'll ever buy a different oil for it again unless there's some decent Silkolene stuff on offer at the time.
It's a very good oil and when the car's running anything else it doesn't feel quite the same. I can't explain why, it just doesn't.
I've tried quite a few different oils in mine because I'm anal about changing the oil every 6k. Since the car was turbo'd, every oil I've put in it has been used up by it, but not the Motul stuff. Apparently it's because it breaks down less than most oils at very high temperatures, but that might just be marketing bumpf. What I can say though, is that I was topping up the oil every couple of weeks beforehand, whereas with the Motul 300v I haven't done it for 2 months and it's only gone down by a couple of mm on the dipstick.
It can't be down to miles covered either because I'm actually doing about 8 miles a day more in the car now I've changed jobs.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
ok I know motul is a great oil, this is why I began using it , problem is, why suddenly the car consumes it? the theory I've came across earlier about the mixing with the elf being left in the engine seemed plausible at that moment but didn't expect the level to drop again in just 1000-1200 km. I hope this is a temporary issue though, will see the next few k's
Let's say the car has developed a fault recently, what should I be lookin' for? I don't really trust the mechanics around here unfortunately so it's best to have a clue before going to have it checked if the case
thx for the reply's anyway :)

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
had about a month ago the emissions light on for a day, then went off on it's own. can a faulty lambda sensor cause some ecu problems and as a result some oil consumption?

RS RIP
mine has been burning Motul 300V , i was worried at first but not anymore. I do'nt know though if it has been caused by the cams or the oilchange..
It's very gradual and little/exceptable

Dodgy one
I noticed mine used to burn oil when i used halfords fully synth5/40, talking 1l per 3k. I've now been running it on mobil 1 and its barely used a drop in the last 6k since feb!

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
any way of making sure the lambda sensors are operating properly? heard that they don't give errors in the diagnosis every time.

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
Motul 300V 5w50 is a full synth easter based oil, meaning that its adhesion is very high due to the easter base. In most semi-synth oil, easter is only an adhesion increaser additive. Hence an easter based full synth oil can adhere much more to the cylinder wall than a semi-synth oil. The most ELF oil is only semi-synth or made by synthetics technology. Synthetics technology doesn't mean that it's fully synth, its base oil is refined more than a semi-synth oil's base. Any ELF oil which uses synthetics technology is positioned between semi-synth and fully synth.
In short: Motul can adhere to the cylinder wall more than the ELF, therefore more oil can remain on the cylinder wall (oil rings can't pull off the oil) and burns in the combustion chamber.

Last edited:

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Motul 300V 5w50 is a full synth easter based oil, meaning that its adhesion is very high due to the easter base. In most semi-synth oil, easter is only an adhesion increaser additive. Hence an easter based full synth oil can adhere much more to the cylinder wall than a semi-synth oil. The most ELF oil is only semi-synth or made by synthetics technology. Synthetics technology doesn't mean that it's fully synth, its base oil is refined more than a semi-synth oil's base. Any ELF oil which uses synthetics technology is positioned between semi-synth and fully synth.
In short: Motul can adhere to the cylinder wall more than the ELF, therefore more oil can remain on the cylinder wall (oil rings can't pull off the oil) and burns in the combustion chamber.
this looks like a good theory, thx! ;)

1 litre in 8000km is hardly anything in a high output engine. Does the engine ever get a good thrash? if not I'd start doing so

yes it does get some once in a while, b road blasts as unfortunately we don't have a real track :(

clio sport 172
i switched from elf to motul x-cess 5w40 and it has used 1 litre in 2.000 km. combination of normal and hard driving

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
I thought about giving an update on this
car keeps using about 1,5 liters in a 10 000 km interval (used max 0,5 l of Elf before)
I received an advice in trying to use a different high performance oil and see if that helps as some cars get along better with other brands.
I've seen some people here use silkolene/fuchs pro s, should I give it a try? Cheaper than motul as well ;)

Renaultsport Clio 172
I am using Shell Helix 5w-40 and has not used a drop in the last 5K miles. I now have to top it up but that is due to a cam cover leak. change your oil.

2004 182FF
Yeah just to add another side to the argument, my 182 is on 95,000 miles. I changed the oil at 89,000 to 5w40 Fuchs and since then, with mostly town driving, have topped it up with 300ml. I bought 5l + 1l from Opie Oils and there is still 700ml in the 1l bottle. A good way to keep track.