ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

[PC] Shogun 2 : Total War

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Yep, as Cookster says - it's an RTS - and a bloody good one at that. If you want a taster of how potentially good this will be, Napoleon : Total War Imperial Edition is less than £13 at The Hut (http://www.thehut.com/games/platforms/pc/napoleon-total-war-imperial-edition/10076099.html). It's a full 3D, zoom in, zoom out strategy game where scenery plays a massive part in the way you conduct battles. Things like cannon balls can sometimes glance off the ground and plough through lines of infantry. Cavalry charges, muskets, cannons, etc - along with three distinct theatres - Europe, Egypt and Russia - it has huge scale and scope.

Gamespot review - http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/napoleontotalwar/index.html?tag=result;title;0

They've got it right with every release in the Total War series so far. But Shogun was the first game released, so I suspect that they will try extra hard to get it right. :)

D.

None
Didn't anyone else give up total war after the steam thing came in?......i hated it, i used to love the series up to medieval 2 but when i got the first steam powered one(napolean i think) it put me right off cause i spent all night trying to get the damn thing to load and gave up in the end........is it any better now and are they keeping the steam thing going with future releases?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Didn't anyone else give up total war after the steam thing came in?......i hated it, i used to love the series up to medieval 2 but when i got the first steam powered one(napolean i think) it put me right off cause i spent all night trying to get the damn thing to load and gave up in the end........is it any better now and are they keeping the steam thing going with future releases?

When you say about spending all night trying to get it to load, is that with the complete Steam download? Or is it on DVD first? I picked up Napoleon on DVD and was shocked to see that it totalled 21GB install size alone - and that was before I applied the add-on packs that I got with the Imperial Edition. That knocked it up to 23.5GB in total size. It's a huge game - I think the largest I've installed to date - and even with a decent broadband connection, that would take a while to install. :)

D.

None
When you say about spending all night trying to get it to load, is that with the complete Steam download? Or is it on DVD first? I picked up Napoleon on DVD and was shocked to see that it totalled 21GB install size alone - and that was before I applied the add-on packs that I got with the Imperial Edition. That knocked it up to 23.5GB in total size. It's a huge game - I think the largest I've installed to date - and even with a decent broadband connection, that would take a while to install. :)

D.
i was gutted, bought it on the day of release, put the dvd in only to find it had this steam thing on there which i had no idea about, then the download said 22 hours remaining!!!!!!!!!!....this was on a BT 4 meg download speed, i lost interest and went back to playing medieval 2 instead :)

shame cause they were such good games till then too :(

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
i was gutted, bought it on the day of release, put the dvd in only to find it had this steam thing on there which i had no idea about, then the download said 22 hours remaining!!!!!!!!!!....this was on a BT 4 meg download speed, i lost interest and went back to playing medieval 2 instead :)

shame cause they were such good games till then too :(

Just leave your PC on for a day to download it. Honestly, it's worth it. :)

D.

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
Don't know if this is the case with this, but with another game I bought a while back I forget what it was now you put the DVD in and it still tried to make you download the full game off steam even though you had it, you had to edit some file to make it install from the DVD.

Might of been the same thing with that.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Don't know if this is the case with this, but with another game I bought a while back I forget what it was now you put the DVD in and it still tried to make you download the full game off steam even though you had it, you had to edit some file to make it install from the DVD.

Might of been the same thing with that.

I've had similar issues, but with Steam backups. Most of the time, the 4GB+ game you've backed up, restores fine. On other games, it looks like it just ignores the restore and continues to download the full thing anyway. Bladdee annoying, I tell you!

D.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Downloaded the demo too but still not got round to playing it

Barely play Empire or Napoleon anymore, used to rinse both of them

Cupra
I had quite a few hours of fun out of Rome: Total War. Might give this a go. I get bored of RTS games as soon as they get complicated or take too long though.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Downloaded the demo too but still not got round to playing it

Barely play Empire or Napoleon anymore, used to rinse both of them

I know there was a CS member on the Steam group that pumped shedloads of hours into Empire. It might have been you? (/small stalker.)

Triggered off the demo download before leaving home this morning. Probably give it a bash at weekend now...

D.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Just tried the demo. Brilliant. I'll definitely be buying it.

Makes your PC work like a b**ch with all the options on though. Both my gfx cards were sounding like jets taking off - lol.

D.