ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PC Polishing

Monaco 172 2/468
I've had a search, but am still a little confused lol...

My and my mate have got the 7424 PC polisher now, which we got with the Sonus SFX Pads.

Just wanting to know which pads to use with what, and what products we need, was looking at :

SSR2
Maybe Megs #80 ??
AG SRP

EGP, P21S etc etc

Mine is a Monaco Blue 172, and his a Black CTR, so please can you suggest what would be best....... also do we need more pads ??

Cheers :cool:

106 GTi
SSR 2 is not much more agressive than the 80, SSR 2.5 is a better choice.

In most cases the light cut pad with SSR 2.5, and then 80 with a polishing pad are needed.

All depends on the paint condition, I would always do a panel with 80 and a polishing pad first and see how it turns out. 80 has lost of oils and fillers so may hide rather than remove though. Be carefull with 80 at this time of the year as it is not sun friendly.

Then use whichever other products you like. AG SRP works well by PC.

Monaco 172 2/468
Thanks Rich :)

I have not yet bought any of these products, so if you can suggest something better then e.g. Megs 80 ?

Will it be a good idea to get another polishing pad then ?

Basically, just instruct me, I am your pupil lol :cool:

Civic Type-R
So would the over all order be...

SSR 2.5 White Sonus SFX Pad
Megs 80 Blue Sonus SFX Pad
AG SRP Blue Sonus SFX Pad
AG EGP by hand or other light pad?

Or would it be worthwhile

SSR 2.5 Yellow Sonus SFX Pad
Megs 80 White Sonus SFX Pad
AG SRP White Sonus SFX Pad
AG EGP Blue Sonus SFX Pad

Does anything need to be done with glazing too? Or will AG EGP cover this and the sealent?
I've seen Meg #7, but I was just guessing that AG EGP is just a combination of Megs #7 and a sealent like Poorboys EX-P.

106 GTi
80 is a good product I like it, a sun friendly alternative is Optimum Polish, or you could use SSR 2 a little more aggressive or SSR 1 a little milder. The Optimum is closer to the 80's finish, the SSR's lack the oils so give a different look to the Speed Glaze.

As a beginner to the PC the SSR 2.5 and SSR 1 combo is the easist to learn with.

Worth having at leats 2 of each pad, and a set of the 4 inch spot pads, which are essential IMO for a Clio.

106 GTi
banjobill said:
So would the over all order be...

SSR 2.5 White Sonus SFX Pad
Megs 80 Blue Sonus SFX Pad
AG SRP Blue Sonus SFX Pad
AG EGP by hand or other light pad?

Or would it be worthwhile

SSR 2.5 Yellow Sonus SFX Pad
Megs 80 White Sonus SFX Pad
AG SRP White Sonus SFX Pad
AG EGP Blue Sonus SFX Pad

Does anything need to be done with glazing too? Or will AG EGP cover this and the sealent?
I've seen Meg #7, but I was just guessing that AG EGP is just a combination of Megs #7 and a sealent like Poorboys EX-P.

The first port of call is 80 on the white polishing pad and see what it does.

If it is not cutting it you could then try SSR 2.5 on a white pad and see if that is enough.

In most cases cars need the step up to:

Sonus Yellow - SSR 2.5
Sonus White - Megs 80
Sonus White or Blue - AG SRP
EGP by hand

EGP will not bond over 7 which is a glaze and adds extra wetness and gloss to the paint. If you use 7 you may aswell use it after the 80 and then go to a Carnuba wax to top it, as no sealants will bond and last properly over it.

Monaco 172 2/468
Where would we be without you Rich, i'm learning so much all the time !

So if I do SSR 2.5 followed by SSR1, do I still use AG SRP, or is it straight to the EGP stage ?

2 other things ... If I get the 4inch pads, do I need to adjust the PC, as i've heard of them overheating.... also, what exactly do you tape off when PC'ing, everything apart from the paint ?? i'm confused :eek:

106 GTi
You will need the SRP after the SSR's to allow the EGP to bond properly to get maximum durability.

They say not to go over speed 5 on the 4 inch pads, I go to 6 for short periods when correcting defects though.

Depending what products I use depends on what I tape. In most cases when doing a full on machine polish with lots of paint correction tape up anything rubber or unpainted plastic that you may catch the PC on.

Skoda Fabia vRS
SSR2.5 and SSR1 get my vote

also if your buying more pads, consider the Lake Country ones from Clean & Shiny, they are superb

ive just used Chemical Guys EZ Glaze which is very very easy on and off, followed that with Chemical Guys M Seal Sealant, and ill be topping it with Chemical Guys XXX Wax

what stuff do you already have polish/wax wise as it might be best to use what you have at the moment until you get used to the PC

look at these vids though and use the technique if your using Poorboys products, i found it brilliant, also dont put any quick detailer on your pads when using any of the SSR range as it dries them out quickly

Vids - http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/video/

Monaco 172 2/468
BRUN said:
what stuff do you already have polish/wax wise as it might be best to use what you have at the moment until you get used to the PC

Cheers for the video links, look great :D

At the moment I have :

AG SRP
AG EGP
P21S