ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PC ---> Mac

A slow one :-(
Ok I just got a Macbook... I've always been a PC user. how the f**k do you use them?:S

Obviously I've figured out how to use Safari... but what the hell.

I download something like MSN and it seems to create a HD esq thing on what I would call a desktop. I can bin this but still use the application. Ich bin well confused. Also another thing that confuses me is the Menu bar... dashboard.. what on earth is this??

I've searched and not found any guides to a Mac... anyone got any useful tips? but basically help!!! how do i use it properly!!!

Apart from that it looks cool hehe :cool:

D

dick

wish i could help, my mates got an ibook i think its called, i cant do anything with them either. stupid things, defo snazzy tho.

It looks cool... thats about it? Seems to run a damn sight faster than anyother Pc i've used. Hasn't even tried to crash on me yet...

If i've got "arrows" under an application on my dock.. what does that mean?

What really f***s me off is that I goto look at the time in the bottom right corner and its not there! Anyway to get this?

Suzuki Ignis
i dont own a mac, but use them at college so know a little bit. The little arrow mean the application is open.
tip: hold ctrl and click is basically right click.
hold ctrl and click the application icon in the dock and you can choose what to do with it, close expand ect.

haha what amazes me is that I got it connected to my wireless network.

My little bro and best mates are propper computer nerds...both said "dont bother asking me cos i aint got a clue: hehe

Like the tips matt...got Adium added to my dock now :)

Citroen DS3 DSport
Adium is far better than msn/yahoo etc

When you download programs the system mounts them as if they are on a disc/drive. Install and then eject the drive. From here you can then trash the downloaded installer file.

It'll all become very easy after a week or so.

Ah right... that seems about right then. When I download stuff and try to trash it looks like and eject button.

Citroen DS3 DSport
That's right, you can either right click the drive and select eject or drag the drive over the trash and eject it too. You'll still need to delete the installer file (dmg) that you downloaded, this will probably also be on the desktop.

Citroen DS3 DSport
The Dashboard is a memory hogging waste of space. I keep a calculator and currency converter on there and nothing more. You can download lots of widgets for various things which may be of interest to you and have them preloaded on the Dashboard.

When in the Dashboard click on the cross (bottom left of screen) to see a list of preinstalled widgets.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/dashboard/

ah cool... i've installed a facebook widger and a weather thing. But I'm guessing i'm better off trashing them?

Citroen DS3 DSport
I'd go easy on the Widgets then. Look in your utilities folder and open Activity Monitor, you'll see the widgets occupy more memory than they are worth.

Apple+Shift+U on the desktop will get you to Utilities quickly. Replace the U for a 'A' in order to get to Applications quickly.

Clio 1.2 16v Dynamique
i have a powerbook (older version) its fookin awesome! i soon lost touch with using pc's!! macs are soo cool and easy to use... the best thing to do is to forget you ever used a pc and just try to start from scratch with ur mac!! u'll soon get used to it! the only downside i've found to using a mac is there are fewer programs to download or buy but there are plenty of mac alternatives out there!! macs are the s**t!!

Clio 1.2 16v Dynamique
widgets.... fook them off!! i only use the calculater and currency converter, the rest of my widgets are games!! get urself some propper applications!! google it if ur not sure wots available for u. or jus go on the apple site instead!!

When I went from PC to Mac I got a book called Switching to the Mac by David Pogue.....Fantastic book really helped me get to grips with the Mac way of working.

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
think simple.
Oh and you dont have to worry about it crashing ever 10 min either.
It will take a week or 2 to get used too but after that you wont wanna go back to (where are my drivers)winblows