ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

passive sub wiring help?

clio 5door sport rep
right,

my flat sub came the otherday.... bit of a noob when it comes to car audio

this is a pic of the connections on the sub
ffb57b31.jpg
[/IMG]

and below here is a pic of the connection on my amp....

ATTACH]

Attachments

• 17f257c9.jpg
    17f257c9.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 7
  clio 5door sport rep
so what type of wire do i need? what gauge should i use....

and where do i connect what thanks in advance

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Not sure if SRS ?

There's a red and a white connection on your sub.

There's a red and a white connection on the amp labelled <-- SUBWOOFER -->

Join the dots !

Gauge - thicker the better. I'd go for something at least 1mm dia cable (that's the core, not the plastic outer BTW).

Last edited:
  clio 5door sport rep
nah 500 w but my amps only 400 so nothing mental. just a bit better sound :) ok ill give it a bash....

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Those wires are only transmitting noise. There's no danger of anything bursting into flames there (unless something's SERIOUSLY wrong hahaha!) .. the larger the wire, the less resistance there'll be meaning better noise (essentially... :eek:)

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
[Been a long week ;) I might have to get my coat...]

Hmm good point. You're missing either sound input or power if that is the only connection on the sub !? Is there a phono connection for sound somewhere else on it..?

Is there no manual with this thing ?

clio 5door sport rep
Nope no manual which does piss me off. Those are the only connections from what I can see. But the ad defO said in car

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Thinking about it - you say passive ?

Passive means it gets the power from an external source... that's the amp's job. The power goes through the speaker wire moving the cone.

Hopefully someone with half a clue will confirm this.

[I hope I've redeemed myself here :eek:]

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Active sub is basically a sub+amp in a box. Passive sub (not really the right technical term imo) is just the sub and you connect it to an amp yourself (which will be powered).

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
You need to put a power cable, a remote cable and a ground to power the amp.

clio 5door sport rep
so where does that all go? Getting conflicting info now.....

fr a bit of Internet googling

Active sub: has a amp inside it and requires own power.

passive sub: used with a external amp....

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Again, an "active" sub is just being powered by the amp in the same box. The wiring is exactly the same. The amp is powered, and has a remote cable to switch it on/off with the car. The amp then just has 2 wires going to the sub (in most cases) which sends a current to move the cone.

If you buy separates you'll have a sub that literally just needs amped + and - wires connecting.