ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

passive or active ? running own channel for tweeters

Golf TDI
i think these are the terms used :eek: but basically am i best using the cross overs for my components or do i use a four channel amp running a channel each for the tweeters and a channel each for the woofers :S is the sound quality better ?

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
What you're doing there is Bi wiring your speakers, yes quality can be better but it is negligible, plus if you consider the crossovers supplied are probably set up in a laboratory to give the best sound from the speakers, you'll really struggle to match that yourself with the amp, also then in order to get 4 channels, you'd ideally have to have 2 sets of phono's going into it, which would require a splitter and then loose quality. I'd stick with the crossovers myself.

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
a two channel amp for the components and a powerful mono for the subwoofer

That's what I'd do yeah, or a 4 channel and do the back ones too? Just don't give them too much power or you could damage them.

1.2 Clio
This really is a question of active or passive crossovers.
Active crossovers require a standalone device (only a handfull (i'm struggling to think of 5 amps that don't) Or a fully active HU.).
This basically separates the signal the tweeter amp recieves from that the mids will play (woofer as you call it).

If you're using the crossovers from which were supplied with the components, you can't go to far wrong for passive use. If you want to really look into actively powering your system. Sign upto TA and do a search for active setup.

For the everyday user active is ott! A lot of fiddling needed, and care taken to not blow things, but when setup correctly can really sound fresh!