ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Passenger drive shaft question

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Right then. Didn't check the clicking as was parked the other way and had to shoot home quickly. No vibration at speeds upto 70 ish. So swapping the wheels back to front has sorted that. Will check again In the morning. It's the top mounts at fault I think now.

SQ5
Having exactly same problem after engine out and clutch change, thought top gearbox mount was twisted so did that last night and it's now better but sometimes as bad.

Will change wheels tomorrow morning and see if it solves it.

I did also change steering rack bushes so wonder if that's making it do it?!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
The car drives better. It's something I Allways used to do after buying new tyres, no idea why it took this long really. Will do another check Tomo and go the longer way to work.

SQ5
Well mine doesn't either now but still faint rumble about 50-60. Do you have any up rated mounts?

I'm tempted to try a standard rear gearbox mount after I get my wheels balanced

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Got the powerflex insert engine mount. Replaced the lower gearbox mount, and have an evol road mount

SQ5
Had tracking checked, changed gearbox mount to standard one and still doing it. Gave in and bought a driveshaft, there is one more 172 passenger shaft left in the country.

Just annoying as its had fresh gearbox oil so that needs draining, if it doesn't turn out to be this I have no clue!

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
They seem to be in short supply these driveshafts. It's always when you relplace something. Something else goes wrong. Well it is is my case

SQ5
I've basically had a front end refresh now from just doing the clutch before going to the ring [emoji23]

Thankfully there's MasterCard!

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
😂:tearsofjoy:Similar to mine mate though I've not replaced the bushes. Just everything else. Lol I remember them days

SQ5
So after

Wheels balanced
Tracking checked
Mounts realigned
Two new driveshafts

It's still rumbling, any other ideas?!

It feels like a side to side rumble

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Through the wheel type? Mine seems to be fine now. Actually having someone who can balance wheels properly has helped

SQ5
Almost like everything on the front is shaking left to right?!

I'd try get a video but it's quite faint, but now I know it's there it feels bad every time!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I'm like that, ocd kicks in. Not sure what to suggest really as i know your confident with checking stuff

SQ5
Definitely so I'm even more lost as I have no idea what to check. Wheels bearings have been suggested but unsure how engine removal would cause that, no time to change them as Germany on Monday, at least the front ones won't let the wheel fall off!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Well had my car checked this morning. The shaft at some point will need to be replaced so Carl is looking at sorting it :). The dephaser seal is leaking too so will kill two birds. Apart from those two the car is fine which is good to know. Atleast my vibration has gone.

Big thanks to @bloke

:)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
After everything it was the wheels that needed balancing yet again. I have used the same chap for ages and never once had an issue. The clicking and vibration led me to believe it was the shaft. It still is the latter but no more wheel wobble/vibration at speed.

SQ5
FML! I may take my spacers off and give them a clean and reseat just in case, but they've not been if so I doubt it's those!

SQ5
Was a faulty brand new driveshaft! The replacement didn't feel much better and felt like it had little grease inside and still clicked a bit. But the rumble is now cured!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Nice one :). Where did you get the shaft again?. Mine seems spot on at the mo. Took it on the motorway and it seemed fine

SQ5
I put it in when I put engine back in so it was in theory the only thing that had changed, I just didn't expect a new one to be a failure off the bat