ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pas delete.. Dci rack?

Ph1 T
Going to be getting rid of the pas on my track car now I've been told to get the dci rack what model/year will I need one off or doesn't it matter?

My cars a ph1 btw

Also I take it ill need a different size belt now so where's best to get that from also?

Dan

To save you searching mate it's this one you need

Cloud2go%202%20Apr%202013%2010:58.jpg

It's got the same 2.7 turns lock to lock as the cup rack so nice and quick :)

There's one on ebay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-C...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item417244ecbb

My recommendation though is drop Kat an email at renparts and ask if she has a few with that matching part number
I tried 2 - one was smooth as silk and the other felt like it had gravel in it - so worth having a try before buying one
Low mileage would obviously be best but hard to find from DCi's as they get used quite a lot

www.renparts.co.uk
I can do one for £33.50 delivered but probably best if you give us a call & say which p/n you want... phil knows he stood at the counter trying about 10 out ;)

If you want to re-grease the splines you only have to cut the cable ties off the dust covers then get someone to work the steering lock to lock while you apply some grease.

I doubt that's the issue though

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
I started to find it hard work reading the other thread that I gave up, sorry Phil.

can we fit a DCI rack to our existing column and just run it without any power steering atall, not even electric.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
You seem to be the man with all of my answers of late ;)

is it purely as simple as your answer?
bolt it on, connect to the column, do away with the PAS fluid and pipework... And then use!?

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Cheers :)

the one listed in the picture by Phil, and Kat saying she can supply one for £33.50.
im assuming this will work fine on a Trophy, but will it mate together with my tie rods (steering arms) and track rod ends (end joints) ??

Yep direct fitment - you swap your trophy tie rod inners and outers onto it and away you go. Bolts directly to your existing column

I will warn you though - it's freakishly heavy for such a small car :(

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
That much heavier than the factory PAS racks?

TBH, I can handle it if its a little heavier, it can't be far off a direct weight exchange by the time I've removed the reservoir, piping, and pump on the engine.
​i really want to loose the power steering.

No no sorry - the steering becomes VERY heavy - not the actual weight of the equipment

If you fit the DCi rack and bin the standard PAS you'll save 4 or 5kg maybe. But it's very difficult to manouver the car at anything less than 15mph. Depends how much you use it off track I guess

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Phil, its not road legal, off track use consists of driving it on/off the trailer or in/out of the unit.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Phil, with the DCi rack, do you have to match it to the make you had previously, ie: SMI cup rack for an SMI DCi rack?

im looking at my factory rack and I have no indication if its SMI or the other, there is no sticker on it, I assume it has disappeared over the years.
no other markings on the rack other than the word 'Renault'.

i just want to get it correct when I speak to Kat to order one.

rack pics:

null-19.jpg

null-20.jpg

null-21.jpg

null-22.jpg

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Phil, bringing this thread back up again, do you have a pic atall of how you have fitted the rack?
at a quick glance the DCI rack appears to have a different mounting method. I haven't got them side by side as yet or tried to fit the DCI rack as yet, but was curious how you have approached this task yourself!?

Cup In bits
Take the motor off if your doing it with the lower dash in place Kelv then refit it when the column is in place. It fits as per old column if you have the lower part out.

Phil, bringing this thread back up again, do you have a pic atall of how you have fitted the rack?
at a quick glance the DCI rack appears to have a different mounting method. I haven't got them side by side as yet or tried to fit the DCI rack as yet, but was curious how you have approached this task yourself!?

The rack just bolts straight into 2 of the holes on the subframe (the top ones)
It doesn't use the mounting brackets and bushes like the standard one :)

2 of the standard bolts yeah

One the hole nearest the driver if you have a look at it you need to either use a normal hex locking nut which is what I did - or file down two of the sides of the standard one as the DCi rack is designed to hold the nut and stop it spinning. The nut you will have has a captive washer in it so won't go on

I spent 10 minutes on my back getting angry wondering why the nut wouldnt start till I realised that lol